Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Why not have the trains that currently terminate at the Amshack simply make one more stop at the airport? 

NS would make the city build a third track if the frequency was 25-30 minutes. Light rail paralleling the NS mainline wouldn't be much more expensive if a whole new track had to be built.

As ajfunder said, NS would require a 3rd track and make NCDOT revitalize the grade separation project even under the current Piedmont/Crescent passenger setup.  

United is purportedly going to restart flights from Charlotte to Denver starting in September.

***Edit- Did a random search for flights on UAL's website.  The flights are loaded into the system, and will be flown using an ERJ-175.***

I hope UA can add CLT-SFO service one day.  Would be nice to regain access to all those Trans-Pacific routes from SFO that were lost after the US/AA merger and departure from Star Alliance.

AA is weak in the TPAC routes area and they aren't shy about admitting it:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/american-airlines-triple-play-in-greater-china-is-part-of-long-haul-rejuvenation-with-more-to-come-172304

Edited by ChessieCat

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/pittsburgh-company-news/2015/05/13/Pittsburgh-airport-officials-talking-with-Qatar-Airways/stories/201505130224

Ummm... not going to happen soon (but anything is possible). You'd expect CLT first, with us being the 2nd largest hub for the world's largest airline and having some demand for connections to the Indian Sub-continent. But...

http://news.investors.com/business/051315-752406-qatar-air-considering-expansion-to-smaller-us-airports.htm

By no means are we a "small" airport, but when it comes to intercontinental flights we are small for such a large number of flights. So Qatar may still be around the corner.

Pure speculation by the way. :)

Edited by Piedmont767

^Let's hope Qatar can install some crew rest modules in their 787-8's to open up long and thin routes like CLT-DOH.  Otherwise it'll be a long wait for A350-900 service since deliveries will take time and gaining market share on routes like DOH-FRA are their priority.

Edited by ChessieCat

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article20539254.html

That's good news, shame about international though.

The slacking International numbers are not just limited to Charlotte. System wide for American Airlines their European and Central/South American revenue numbers are down. The executives are saying the economy in Brazil and Venezuela are especially bringing down revenue for flights to those countries. Expect to see more international flight cuts system wide for American later this year. I won't be surprised if there are further cuts at CLT for International.  Domestically however things are looking well for CLT and for American.

^The strong dollar is not helping bring international visitors to the US.  I remember Brazilians arriving with empty suitcases in 2011 to go on shopping sprees here when the dollar was weak and the GRU-CLT route was flown by USAir.  Times have changed...

It's wonderful if you're traveling overseas this summer...  :shades:

^The strong dollar is not helping bring international visitors to the US.  I remember Brazilians arriving with empty suitcases in 2011 to go on shopping sprees here when the dollar was weak and the GRU-CLT route was flown by USAir.  Times have changed...

It's wonderful if you're traveling overseas this summer...  :shades:

So true, was going to post a post about the strong dollar when crew scheduling called me. :/ So this is my take on it:

-Unless Brazil's economy improves there will be no new flights to Brazil from anywhere in the USA on any US-carrier

-The strong dollar is doing wonders for American tourists going to Europe. I can buy a lot of things in Europe very cheaply for what costs me a lot more in the US. And that is helping European routes, I have worked LHR, DUB, CDG, FRA, FCO, BCN and MAD in the past month and the loads have been high and I mean only about 10 seats free on the entire aircraft the same could not be said on return flights, with (I would guess) about 30-40 seats free. But high loads do not equal high yields. I have no idea on yields. Some may argue that yields would be low as CLT is a mainly connection-based airport but looking at average fares for the lowest fare class on all flights it is about $1,300.

I do think most flights will survive into next summer, with the exception on Rome and Dublin which could go either way. Also looking at schedules for the beginning of next summer FCO is scheduled on an A330-200 but March 26, 2016 is a long way away.

^Sometimes we forget that international flights are a 2-way street.  Foreigners need a reason to fly to CLT other than just a connection.  I wonder what percentage of the flights from say FCO-CLT, BCN-CLT, and MAD-CLT are Europeans terminating their trips in CLT.  Less than 5%? 

A & B connector and the new market.

I have had about a month-long break from flying, but going to start up again next week on my trip to London (OK, London, Ontario - not as exciting as London, UK, but I have never been there before, so I'm looking forward to it). I might hit 1897 up for breakfast. Will let you know how it is if so, but most likely breakfast will be fruit, a yogurt cup, and Bloody Mary in the Admiral's Club.

• Like 1

Look for some bad news today or tomorrow from AA.  Word will come down that the company has decided to shutter both Phoenix and Charlotte training centers.  The PHX center was long slated to close, but CLT had been seen by most as being safe (the company even spent money on upgrades to the facility last year).  

Look for some bad news today or tomorrow from AA. Word will come down that the company has decided to shutter both Phoenix and Charlotte training centers. The PHX center was long slated to close, but CLT had been seen by most as being safe (the company even spent money on upgrades to the facility last year).

Is that a sign of things to come or no?

Is that a sign of things to come or no?

I'm fairly certain it's all about streamlining learning.  Large sections of the AA Charm Farm in Ft Worth were leased out to other airlines for training.  Since AA was in financial trouble and weren't growing, the huge facility was a drain.  Now they need the space.  AA is spending $10 million to upgrade the DFW facility and is buying out the leases of the companies using the buildings at the current time.  I was told to expect the CLT center to close by the first quarter of 2016.  

I wonder if this may also be a "warning shot" to the NC Senate for taking a hardline stance against extending the jet fuel sales tax cap.

I've got to say, it sounds like AA is streamlining operations in one location as was said above. I can't see how this could be anything political.

I've got to say, it sounds like AA is streamlining operations in one location as was said above. I can't see how this could be anything political.

I'll admit, it's a bit of a stretch based on nothing more than a few pieces of circumstantial evidence; however I do not see it as being out of the realm of possibilities.

For starters, the NC Senate has been adamant against extending the fuel sales tax cap.  The NC House passed a bill that extends it and Gov. McCrory supports the extension, but Senate leaders such as Bob Rucho and Harry Brown have come out against extending it. 

On the other side, American has labeled the fuel tax cap their top legislative priority, and their local lobbyists have made overtures suggesting that CLT stands to lose if the fuel tax cap is not extend or if the fuel tax is not repealed.  Bob Rucho and company have repeatedly stated they are skeptical as seen in the following article:

http://wfae.org/post/charlotte-business-leaders-urge-tax-exemption-airline-fuel

Just a week after the above article was written, WFAE ran another story which had the following paragraph:

"And with that merger, American may look to scale back its operations in the state. That’s something lawmakers are watching says Rucho. 'Is American Airlines reducing either flights or seats? Are they moving out of North Carolina training facilities? You know these were all part of North Carolina under US Air.'"

http://wfae.org/post/record-profits-american-airlines-they-seek-nc-tax-cap-extension

Given that the airline can not appreciably reduce flying at any of its hubs until the three year agreement with the DOJ expires, I wonder if this purported closing of a training facility is the warning shot aimed at getting lawmakers attention ahead of the expiration of the DOJ agreement.  In other words, I wonder if American executives are hinting at more substantial changes in the future that will have a more direct correlation to the fuel sales tax (i.e. reduced number of flights) if the cap is not extend or the tax repealed outright.

Once again,  just venturing a hypothesis.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 3

I'll add my $0.02. Whilst I've also heard that the centre may close, AA did spend quite a bit of money on the centre. IIRC AA even installed new simulators and cabin service training equipment. I don't know any solid info about the closing of the centre, but why would AA spend money on it when they would close it 18 months later?

Edited by Piedmont767