Retail in Richmond

vdogg

That doesn't make a lick of sense... bad enough it's named after a swamp and creek close to the airport. But I have been monitoring its progress and I'm surprised at the pace of Laburnum Station where the Best Buy will be. Yes it will end a lot of trips to Mechanicsville and elsewhere for some things... but I will be in nirvana if downtown became a major retail spot for the region. That is most important. Burt, my complaints about Short Pump won't dry up as long as it's being given the second spotlight to Richmond. It's like Short Pump is Diana Ross and Richmond is Florence Ballard.

That doesn't make a lick of sense... bad enough it's named after a swamp and creek close to the airport. But I have been monitoring its progress and I'm surprised at the pace of Laburnum Station where the Best Buy will be. Yes it will end a lot of trips to Mechanicsville and elsewhere for some things... but I will be in nirvana if downtown became a major retail spot for the region. That is most important. Burt, my complaints about Short Pump won't dry up as long as it's being given the second spotlight to Richmond. It's like Short Pump is Diana Ross and Richmond is Florence Ballard.

I figured you like Short Pump so much, that the name fits quite well.

It is to my understanding that the Wyndham Hotel, across the street, is to be expanded?

Stevenrocks... why is Henrico Plaza dying despite all the traffic and newer places coming up nearby?

Where is Henrico Plaza? Is that the former large shopping center on Nine Mile Road at Laburnum? Last I passed it, it looked better than I remembered from a few years ago.

Stevenrocks... why is Henrico Plaza dying despite all the traffic and newer places coming up nearby?
Good question. Without knowing the specific history of Henrico Plaza, it'd be hard to say exactly, but most shopping centers die because of crappy management, demographic changes and long-term leases held by defunct retailers.

Henrico Plaza is on Mechanicsville Tnpk north of Laburbum and north of the Glen Lea Shopping Center (which doesn't have its big anchor since Winn-Dixie closed). Why isn't Henrico putting pressure on whoever owns it? They're gung-ho about mowing down forests in the west but a tract of available land on a major road sits empty with 3 stores.

Can Metro Richmond absorb still another mega mall? Plans are before Hanover officials to permit a large outlet mall adjacent to the Bass Pro Shop near Lewistown Road and I-95. Here's Gregg Gilligan's story from today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...06-07-0110.html

What say you, StevenRocks?

For those readers who are unfamiliar with the Greater Richmond Area, the site is in Hanover County on the west side of I-95 between Richmond and Ashland. It is a few miles north of I-295's junction with I-95 -- maybe 12 miles north of Richmond's Capital Square.

Edited by burt

Can Metro Richmond absorb still another mega mall? Plans are before Hanover officials to permit a large outlet mall adjacent to the Bass Pro Shop near Lewistown Road and I-95. Here's Gregg Gilligan's story from today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...06-07-0110.html

What say you, StevenRocks?

For those readers who are unfamiliar with the Greater Richmond Area, the site is in Hanover County on the west side of I-95 between Richmond and Ashland. It is a few miles north of I-295's junction with I-95 -- maybe 12 miles north of Richmond's Capital Square.

I would not consider 375,000 sqft a "mega-mall".

I think this area could absorb an outlet mall. The closet one is in Williamsburg. If built, those in living in Fredericksburg would not have to go to Potomac Mills. Although closer to Fredericksburg, Potomac Mills is a nightmare on the weekends which spills onto I-95 in that area.. Hopefully, if built, this outlet mall can bring in tax dollars to this area as opposed to the DC area.

Edited by Shakman

I'm not sure exactly where GLEN LEA CENTER is located on Mechanicsville Tpk, but it is getting a new tennant.

According to Gregg Gilligan in today RTD. a casual apparel retailer called Steve & Barry's will open there soon. It sells jackets, sweaters, T-shirts, etc. Nothing is priced above $19.98.

Anticipated opening is late summer.

Steve & Barry's operates 260 stores in 38 states -- six in Virginia.

Edited by burt

More news from Gilligan's column is that Chesterfield Town Center, at the junction of Midlothian Tpk and Huguenot Road, is getting some new tenants:

Holister Co. a surfing inspired brand catering to teens.

Aldo, a shoe retailer.

And a new Barnes & Noble next to the food court.

The former B&N, across Huguenot Road, is being converted to Richmond's second Fresh Market whose other location is on Parham Road in the Regency Square area.

Comment: I've heard from several people that Fresh Market's produce, meats and other sections far exceed Trader Joe's and other noted stores.

Edited by burt

More news from Gilligan's column is that Chesterfield Town Center, at the junction of Midlothian Tpk and Huguenot Road, is getting some new tenants:

Holister Co. a surfing inspired brand catering to teens.

Aldo, a shoe retailer.

And a new Barnes & Noble next to the food court.

The former B&N, across Huguenot Road, is being converted to Richmond's second Fresh Market whose other location is on Parham Road in the Regency Square area.

Comment: I've heard from several people that Fresh Market's produce, meats and other sections far exceed Trader Joe's and other noted stores.

Holister has some good cologne. There is one at Short Pump. This should be a great addition to CTC.

I'm consistently depressed with the lack of customer traffic for the actual stores (as opposed to the restaurants) when I visit Stony Point when it struck me what their problems is (apart from the inexplicable shortage of marketing). This is supposed to be the high-end mall in Richmond (a la Tysons 2 or Phillips Place), but it's anchored on one end (also the dead end) by Dillards, which becomes lower-end by the day. Substitute a Bloomingdales for the Dillards and that place would take off.

I'm consistently depressed with the lack of customer traffic for the actual stores (as opposed to the restaurants) when I visit Stony Point when it struck me what their problems is (apart from the inexplicable shortage of marketing). This is supposed to be the high-end mall in Richmond (a la Tysons 2 or Phillips Place), but it's anchored on one end (also the dead end) by Dillards, which becomes lower-end by the day. Substitute a Bloomingdales for the Dillards and that place would take off.

I totally agree.

Someone needs to re-screw the owner's head so they can realize that Dillard's is not highend. However with consumer confidence slipping and the retail industry aiking, Dillard's would be better than nothing.

Hopefully when the economy starts to stabilize, perhaps we can one day have a Niemann Marcus... ...in Downtown.

Edited by Shakman

Stony Point has some of the highest-end chain stores in Richmond, so the traffic is always going to seem a little lower even if the stores are doing well. But I agree with the assessment that Dillard's is not bringing in the crowds. It's a combination of the weak economy and Dillard's so-so merchandise mix that's causing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Upscale Scrubs (ugh) recently relocated from Stony Point to a new strip center new Chesterfield Towne Center. This should create a decent amount of contiguous available space. Hopefully Taubman has a plan for it.

What? Another new strip mall near Chesterfield TC?

Side note: Two shopping centers with the same name less than a mile apart is very confusing. One, Stony Point Fashion Park is a very upscale Life Style Center while Stony Point Shopping Center is a medium sized strip mall.

Sharper Image has closed a large number of its retail stores across the country as well as their location at Stony Point Fashion Park. I'm not sure if Upscale Scrubs (ugh :w00t: ) was contiguous to Sharper Image, but I hope Tubman does have plans to fill the gaps.

I still prefer SPFP over the considerably larger Short Pump Town Center. :)

I was pleased to read that SPFP has just about paid off its obligation to the city of Richmond in less time than anticipated.

Edited by burt