Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Yeah I noticed this when I went to Regency last week. That whole end where Abercrombie and Fitch was looks like east gate mall. Theres only a Lenscrafter and a DTLR which is a thug clothing store. So its kinda sad. I really hope the grants they give regency helps. They said they were giving the mall grants to upgrade and remodel and add new stores as well to make it more attractive. I hate to say this but I dont know how much more Regency can take. Its sad and depressing to go over there everytime and look at all the stores that have left. It will be like a Miller and Rhoads/ Thalhimers story for me compared to my parents when they were growing up.

Unfortunately I had to delete a few posts from this thread. A very offensive post was made today in violation of our rules here at urbanplanet. I have also deleted posts that were in response to the original poster in order to keep the thread coherent. We are all free to express our opinion here, but we must remember that people from many different walks of life visit this site. Knowing this, we have developed a set of rules for the site that are designed to make participating at urbanplanet an enjoyable experience for all.

• We have a zero tolerance policy for the following:
  • Multiple accounts
  • Imitating someone else under a username from another board
  • Flaming/bashing/threatening one person or a group of people
  • Attempts to compromise the security of any user(s) or group(s) of this board or the board itself
  • Posting of illegal material such as warez, copyrighted material, etc.
  • Using false information when registering
  • Solicitation by way of posts, personal messages, or e-mails through our system

Violating any one of the rules under the zero tolerance policy will result in your account being suspended at the very least or possibly a permanent ban. Please remember to respect eachother and other groups and cultures while participating here at urban planet.

Abercrombie & Fitch is clsoing up shop in Regency Square but will maintain its store at Short Pump Town Center. This is from Greg Gilligan's column today in the Times Dispatch.
Sad, but not surprising. A&F is not as popular as it used to be, and Regency's demographic shift has affected their sales. I hope they're able to fill the space with something decent soon.

this is gonna sound like a very stupid question, but yesterday channel 8 had a article on an upcoming renovation to southpark mall, but i've already looked on google, wric's page and nothing does anyone have any info on this.

I read somewhere that there will be a food court at Southpark Mall.

this is gonna sound like a very stupid question, but yesterday channel 8 had a article on an upcoming renovation to southpark mall, but i've already looked on google, wric's page and nothing does anyone have any info on this.

avalone, a new multi screen cinema complex opened there recently replacing an older and smaller one. And, there was a story recently about a new food court, as shak mentioned. I'll see if I can find the story and post it here.

Here's the story, avelone. It doesn't sound like major changes are being made:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/tuesday...01-29-0162.html

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

While I was in Carytown this past weekend, I noticed that Richmond Piano and Decor are both closing there doors. AlterNative is at a temporary location on W. Cary. There former place is getting redone due to fire. Structurally the building seemed fine, but the interior suffered smoke and water damage.

Poesis is also gone and replaced by a hair salon... another one.

The coming soon sign for Fresh Market is up in the Barnes & Noble parking lot by Chestefield Towne Center. Since Barnes & Noble won't move until the summer, Fresh Market probably won't open till the Fall. I think it is a good idea that Chesterfield Towne Center is going high end and becoming more pedestrian friendly. When I heard about Watkin Center I was hoping it was going to be a lifestyle center like Fairfax corner or Reston but now the plans look like it is just another Commonwealth Center type of project.

Watkins Centre has definitely amounted to a total disappointment, and it will become an even larger one if all it does is cannibalize existing retailers in the Chesterfield Towne Center vicinity. I was concerned about the vacancy at the former Barnes and Noble when it moved across the street, but Fresh Market is a great replacement. CTC seems to be stabilizing and adjusting to the new competition in town... now if they could find something to do with the empty Dillard's Men's anchor location...

Speaking of Fairfax Corner... it has one of my favorite sandwich shops, Potbelly. Loved grabbing a sandwich there when they had live music (most nights). It's a great concept and I'd love to see them expand into the Richmond market.

Yes, I used to live right by Fairfax Corner and was excited when I heard Watkins Center might be a carbon copy. When you look at what they have planned it is a joke. This Westchester retail center is in no way pedestrian friendly. How can you walk around this thing? You will basically have to park, get out of your car and go in a store. Then get back in your car and drive to another store? For those of you who have never been to Fairfax Corner I linked it. You can compare the two projects. What a loss! Chesterfield really blew this one. They had an opportunity to have something totally unique to the Richmond area. (edit) I guess West Broad Village is more in line with what I was thinking Westchester/Watkins would be.

http://www.zarembagroup.com/shopping_westchester.html

http://www.fairfaxcorner.com/main.html

Edited by NYCJSW

Yes, I used to live right by Fairfax Corner and was excited when I heard Watkins Center might be a carbon copy. When you look at what they have planned it is a joke. This Westchester retail center is in no way pedestrian friendly. How can you walk around this thing? You will basically have to park, get out of your car and go in a store. Then get back in your car and drive to another store? For those of you who have never been to Fairfax Corner I linked it. You can compare the two projects. What a loss! Chesterfield really blew this one. They had an opportunity to have something totally unique to the Richmond area. (edit) I guess West Broad Village is more in line with what I was thinking Westchester/Watkins would be.

http://www.zarembagroup.com/shopping_westchester.html

http://www.fairfaxcorner.com/main.html

My gosh. Could they possibly have more parking in there? Well it's certainly Chesterfield's loss that they made this project so car centric but I guess they are catering to what the people want. Lots of parking for over sized SUV's and minimal effort (aka walking) to get to the stores. I don't think Richmond is ever going to have to worry about competition from Chesterfield in the urban fabric category.

The Grace Street retail meeting today was more of a kick-off event hosted by the City Econ. Dev, Douglas Development, and Street Sense than anything else. Great turnout though! The idea is to have a strategic implementation plan to boost retail amenities along Grace Street downtown. The target area hasn't been defined but I imagine it would stretch from Adams to 9th Streets. One possibility is for there to be 2-3 focus blocks where the most energy is directed to create a stable sustainable retail environment which can then expand outward. "Rumor" has it that something could be going into the commercial space soon at Berry Burk. Miller and Rhoads will have 20-25k square feet of street level commercial space.

It'd be nice to see those downtown spaces active again.

:offtopic: Nice meeting you coupe by the way...

Back on topic... Ill keep everyone appraised on the 'negotiations' the the Berry Burk building is undergoing. I wasnt able to track down the owner of the adjacent block of Grace St that fronts the Miller and Rhodes project, although I did see her and her husband there... they conspicuously snuck out. I did have a nice long coversation with the Police Captain for the downtown precint, I think we will see some more clean up of the streets in the next few weeks... (he was esp. interested in my news that the drug trade is coming back - or not so pleased, take your pick)...

The architect, urban planner that the city is planning to use is highly knowledgeable as I have met and spoke with him before. My personal goal is to join a community action committee once one forms for this process. Maybe even be president of it. That would certainly get my name out there to start to take over Wilder's job ;)

Anyways, like Coupe... Ill keep everyone in the loop of how this starts to pan out...

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Downtown this past Wednesday and noticed that the Starbuck's at the James Center looks to be opening soon. Most of the interior finishes look to be installed, including framed artwork at the Cary Street entrance. A circular Starbuck's sign is also at Cary Street entrance.