Retail in Richmond

vdogg

I would like to see one in Carytown.

I'd like to see Apple along with other retailers in the downtown Broad/Grace corridor. :thumbsup:

I saw yesterday in Property Transfers that Jemal has bought 402 East Grace. Is that the shop next door to the high rise Grace Place apartments at 4th and Grace?

Before Richmond knew what a Wal-Mart or Target was, I remember Jefferson Ward was bustling at Henrico Plaza. Then it became a Bradlees. I'll always remember those fake owls above the enterance. I don't know when Bradlees closed... I want to say some time about 1990. The rest of the shopping center appeared to be doing ok. Then Superfresh closed about 1999. I have no idea what used to be along where the Sherwin Williams and Radio Shack were... I know there was a Tv Factory judging from the sign that stayed up and Beauty World moved recently to a newly constructed place on Mechanicsville. I don't know when Super Trak closed. Supposedly a long time ago there was a gas station near Firestone. The only things left at Henrico Plaza are Anthony's and Firestone. I don't think the store between them is open.

I don't remember an antiques place. I know there was a murder there about 2001 in front of the Super Trak. The Jefferson Ward/Bradlees building was demolished in 2002, Superfresh, Super Trak, and a place that used to be daycare near the end were demolished last year, and the other week the other large section was demolished. I have no clue what's going on and if Anthony's and Firestone would be staying, relocating, or building new places while they demolish their section.

I'd love to know. If you have any clues, please post them.

I'd love to see a movie theater or bookstore chain or something that we don't have in this area built there.

Yeah I remember when Builders Square was there. But I think Jefferson Ward was before me since I was born in 1988.

:lol: Did not know you were that young. I was not living in Richmond during that time (was in Tennessee). Was Builder's Square a hardware store?

The Wal-Mart space at Parham Plaza started as a W.T. Grant and went through a succession of anchors that included Jefferson Ward, Builders Square, Hills and Kmart.

Decades ago, W.T. Grant was the tenant of the interesting building at the s/w corner of 4th and Broad which now is a trashy looking variety store. Use of the site as a high rise hotel atop it and adjacent buildings was promoted recently by a local developer.

Carytown is featured in Delta's in-flight magazine, Delta-Sky:

Le Shopping - Getting "Cary-ed" Away

That's great publicity for Carytown and all of Richmond.

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed how much Norfolk advertises itself in print and on line? Often, there is a banner at the top of inRich inviting everyone to visit the port city. And the Delta page about Carytown has an ad. I Wish Richmond had as large an advertising budget.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you surpised? We love oversaturation here. I'm still waiting to see ONE locate in the East End of Henrico. Or even another in eastern Richmond. There are rich people here too.

Pity those rich and less rich East Enders are not patronizing QUE PASA. The neat non-chain restaurant at the corner of M and 25th streets in Church Hill (or is it Union Hill) is dying on the vine for lack of customers.

By the way, 25th Street looks better every time I visit. I wish the East End theatre could be re-habbed.

What is delaying the round-about at 25th and M?

Shak, thanks for posting the closure list of Starbucks across the land. The one at The Omni in The Slip consistently had outdoor visitors every time I passed.

There were a couple of reviews of Que Pasa a few weeks ago. I think one was good and the other was bad. The thing that's very different from Church Hill from the Fan are the corner store restaurants and such. But when we do get them, they don't seem to survive. I wonder why? What makes the Fan so much supportive?

Are you surpised? We love oversaturation here. I'm still waiting to see ONE locate in the East End of Henrico. Or even another in eastern Richmond. There are rich people here too.

I would hope, in the near future, there will be one in and /or near White Oak.

Edited by Shakman

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an elaboration of Lou Llovio's inRich piece about White Oak. The 900,000 s/f center is near saturation with tenants despite the weak economy:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...07-31-0128.html

StevenRocks, you're our UP Retail expert. Comments, please? It seems like a good fit, IMO.

Cam: Isn't there another center under construction around the corner from White Oak on a road that begins with an "A"? There was talk a few months ago about shops and a multi-plex cinema under consideration in that area.

Edited by burt

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I went to the Forest Hill Avenue Farmer's Market on Saturday and was BLOWN AWAY. This thing is at least 3X the size as the 17th Street Farmers Market and has ample convenient parking. I think it is much more convenient for the sellers because they can just back up their trucks full of fruit rather than schlep everything to stalls. I don't know if the 17th Street market is going to survive the competition.

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I went to the Forest Hill Avenue Farmer's Market on Saturday and was BLOWN AWAY. This thing is at least 3X the size as the 17th Street Farmers Market and has ample convenient parking. I think it is much more convenient for the sellers because they can just back up their trucks full of fruit rather than schlep everything to stalls. I don't know if the 17th Street market is going to survive the competition.

I agree. The old Botom market needs a lot of help if it is to survive. Butcheries and fish mongers in an enclosed cold-storage area would add appeal. There is a building that has sat vacant for years at the s/w corner of 17th and Franklin (next door to Havana 59 and across from the market.) It and the nearby remains of Loving Produce would be ideal for indoor expansion, IMO.

Aren't there a couple of other new-ish markets besides Forest Hill? I think I read about one in or near Oregon Hill. And I've heard there is a huge one on Pole Green Road in Mechanicsville.

jbjust, does The Forest Hill Avenue market offer more than produce?