Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Hopefully, the duplicate stores in the exurbs will be the ones to suffer. They are the ones that shouldn't have been built in the first place. They basically function as a vacuum, drawing people further from city centers only to allow the areas behind them to collapse. It's unhealthy development at its finest. We should be focusing on infill in the City and inner suburbs and not knocking down more trees to increase the strip mall sprawl.

Infill /renovation is most definitely occuring since Richmond's population estimates have started to increase (and by my "drive by's").

I think we'll see more infill/redevelopment occurring... Beaufont Mall is slated to become Spring Rock Green and then there's the Cloverleaf Mall redevelopment project. Projects like Staples Mill Centre, N Boulevard Redevelopment, Boulevard Square, etc are also positive.
My hope is that the new developments will strive to create a sense of place and add some local flavor. Richmond does not need another anonymous mixed use development or overdecorated strip mall.

• 2 weeks later...

I think BJ's is similar to Cosco -- one of those membership stores. Anyway, a second one is opening in Greater Richmond behind Regency Square. The first BJ's in the area is in a large shopping center in Mechanicsville.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...11-03-0187.html

I remember BJ's from back up on Long Island; split image of Price Club.

I see no talk yet of Circuit City and their latest plans for cuts. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks about this. I have a feeling that Circuit City will tank if this doesn't work. Not good for Richmond.

Is this what you're referring to Eric?

Circuit City's story is not an upbeat one.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...11-03-0147.html

I see no talk yet of Circuit City and their latest plans for cuts. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks about this. I have a feeling that Circuit City will tank if this doesn't work. Not good for Richmond.

Eric, I note from your posting it is time to readjust our clocks on Urban Planet.

My poor old brain!! It will take me an hour to figure out how to do it. :tough:

Eric, I note from your posting it is time to readjust our clocks on Urban Planet.

My poor old brain!! It will take me an hour to figure out how to do it. :tough:

Yes, that's the one.

You're right! I had not noticed that he time was all messed up on my posting. It's got to be something that the administrators can figure out and fix. Surely, it's also happening in all the other bulletin boards on this site. They've got to know that it's happening.

Click on "My Controls" in the upper right part of the page. Then look at the menu on the left and click on "Board Settings" under the "Options" header. From here you can verify that you have the correct time zone selected and whether you want it to auto correct for DST. I've found that since DST was extended, some auto correct options aren't programmed right. So you may want to just specify the correct time.

I don't think there'll be an end to Circuit City. However, they could shrink and be a regional store... it wouldn't be bad. I don't understand how Best Buy is so much better? They kind of look the same and sell the same stuff. My aunt said to her the customer service is better at Circuit City and I think Best Buy can be a little better organized. Could that be it?

Click on "My Controls" in the upper right part of the page. Then look at the menu on the left and click on "Board Settings" under the "Options" header. From here you can verify that you have the correct time zone selected and whether you want it to auto correct for DST. I've found that since DST was extended, some auto correct options aren't programmed right. So you may want to just specify the correct time.

I just followed your instructions, CommRE. Now lert me see if it worked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit as of 9:24am. Nope, it didn't work.

Well, I'm off to my voting precinct now (thank God it's just downstairs in my building!)

I'll worry (or not) about time settings later. Meanwhile, you will note that my postings are an hour ahead of themselves. ;)

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Nationally, retail sales plunged by the largest amount on record in October, according to the story below.

Sales fell 2.8 percent last month, but oddly the category including restaurants and bars rose by 0.3% (see last paragraph.)

From today's inRich as compiled by staff and wire reports:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...11-15-0134.html

So far, Dillards has announced only one closing in Metro Richmond -- its store at Chesterfield Town Center. But its National prospects don't look good.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...08-27-0205.html

A fellow UPer was one of the 60 laid off by Dillards.

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog...t_dillards.aspx

It will be no surprise to many if Dillards cannot withstand a bad economy for much longer. Unfortunately, I have some good friends who work there. That said, the Dillards reputation as a corporate citizen in Little Rock is not a very good one. During the 90s when many corporations were implementing many corporate philanthropy measures in their communities. Dillards did very little. For example, Alltel helped build an arena and got their name on it. Stephens (regional investment company) built another arena at our state university in LR and a new minor league ballpark. Dillards did some work with Habitat for Humanity, but they don't sponsor events or have there name on a facility available to the public or a patch of green space.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove through and around the very impressive White Oak Life Style Center on Laburnum Avenue last Sunday before the shops and stores had opened. The lay-out is immense and, at present, somewhat confusing. There are several round-abouts and signage was somewhat lacking which had me going in directions I had not intended to pursue. A number of stores, such as Penny's, Red Lobster and one or two other big box stores are still under construction. And there is a distinct lack of vegetation (shrubs, trees, etc.) at this stage of development, but I suspect that soon will be coorrected.

Somewhere in this thread is a list of stores.

The Hyatt, while not yet open, rises as a landmark near I-64.

If ever there were a shopping center that lends itself to a megaplex cinema, White Oak is it, IMO.

White Oak is about 2 miles from Richmond International Airport in the eastern Henrico suburbs of Richmond.

Edited by burt

Burt, you're not the only one. When I first drove through The Village portion, there was a car going the wrong way. I hope both fountains were on because the one up front has been off a few times. I hope they would consider a theater nearby. But I also wonder what's taking so long at Best Buy Station and the little shopping center across from Wyndham Hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of long-time men's clothiers are going out of business in Richmond.

It's not mentioned in the story, but I believe Shevel's at one time was in a East Grace Street storefront in what is now The Carpenter Theatre (those shop spaces have been reconfigured and are now part of the expanded theatre lobby.)

I could be wrong about the downtown Shevels, but I do recall buying lots of nice upscale clothes in the little store in my young adulthood (1950's & '60's).

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-213339/156018/

A couple of long-time men's clothiers are going out of business in Richmond.

It's not mentioned in the story, but I believe Shevel's at one time was in a East Grace Street storefront in what is now The Carpenter Theatre (those shop spaces have been reconfigured and are now part of the expanded theatre lobby.)

I could be wrong about the downtown Shevels, but I do recall buying lots of nice upscale clothes in the little store in my young adulthood (1950's & '60's).

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-213339/156018/

...in addition... Another men's clothing store, "If's" on the Slip, has closed. However, something else is going in its place. It is to my understanding that it is the same owner, but different type of retail.

I guess we men like to wear the same thing everyday.

Edited by Shakman

If I recall, the Slip store has moved to Stoney Point. Replacing it is Restore. Some sort of home decor store built around the concept of reuse. I'd like to see that part of town become a mecca for home furnishings/decor. It has a good start (was better when RV Cole was still in the Slip...) with These Four Walls and La Dif.

If I recall, the Slip store has moved to Stoney Point. Replacing it is Restore. Some sort of home decor store built around the concept of reuse. I'd like to see that part of town become a mecca for home furnishings/decor. It has a good start (was better when RV Cole was still in the Slip...) with These Four Walls and La Dif.

These Four Walls is a fascinating store. So near, but quite a contrast to La Dif.

There is a bedraggled buildings just east of Tobacco Company that has never been renovated. I often wonder why it sits there apparently vacant? Sort of like the abandoned building at the corner of 15th and Cary.

I wonder if the residential building in Shockoe Lane (the little alley that runs west from the fountain in front of Martin Agency) is full?