Retail in Richmond

vdogg

This is very great that we have an outlet mall. I really hope they do a good job at attracting stores to its outlet mall. I really hope Polo and J Crew comes to the new outlet mall. Those are the two main outlets I shop. But I really am excited for Bass Pro Shops too cause I am a huge fishing and hunting freak too. I really cant wait for all of this to be completed its really gonna be awesome to see all these new stores coming online. Not to mention that Whole Foods in West Broad Village opens up on September the 3rd which is this week since I saw a sign for it a few days ago that it was opening on the 3rd of September.

Joey, have you been to the Gander Mountain store? It is very close to Bass Pro.

I wonder if Gander is doing good business?

Yes I have been to Gander and I hate it. I dont think they are going to be there very long once Bass Pro Shops opens cause Greentop hasnt lost any customers it seems like cause they have been around for so long and there customers are loyal to them for hunting and fishing and gander mountain is geared towards more tourists and out of towners cause they never seem to be busy when I go in there. My friend used to work there and hates them after a very long story that happened to him and he said the management there is horrible. But I dont like it cause they are very overpriced too. I will be ready when bass pro opens cause the only two I see staying open is green top and bass pro and I say greentop because of there loyal customers and they have a very good barbecue place that is part of green top.

This story in Richmond Bizsense is sort of perplexing. On one hand, it tells us that vacancy rates in the malls are alarming, and on the other hand reveals that merchants are enjoying good sales despite closures of stores.
There are a handful of mall-based merchants that do exceptionally well on a national basis, but their success doesn't spill over to other mall merchants. That's why there is the disconnect.

Cam placed this website in the Suburban thread, but I'm going to add it here as well:

http://www.theshopsatwhiteoakvillage.com

The large Life Stye Center on Laburnum Avenue at I-64 (near RIC) is scheduled to open in October.

Cam. The website doesn't contain any photos. Will you post some?

This part of Metro Richmond has been bereft of shopping/dining options since Fairfield Commons pretty much collapsed. The store and restaurant selections offer options to the higher end malls across the Region.

Burt, I have pictures periodically of the site since they began construction. Actually I havepics of the ViaSystems building too. These are from exactly a month ago. I can't believe time has passed so fast. I took some drive-bys after Hanna passed but they did not come out well. I guess I'll have to do another walking photoshoot this weekend. Also sorry for some pics that had trailers and stuff in the way. Unfortunately at that time, for what I wanted to get, they were there and no way around them.

Pics

Burt, I have pictures periodically of the site since they began construction. Actually I havepics of the ViaSystems building too. These are from exactly a month ago. I can't believe time has passed so fast. I took some drive-bys after Hanna passed but they did not come out well. I guess I'll have to do another walking photoshoot this weekend. Also sorry for some pics that had trailers and stuff in the way. Unfortunately at that time, for what I wanted to get, they were there and no way around them.

Pics

Cam, thanks for this great set of pix. Now we need some of the finished project.

Is The Hyatt a midrise structure? And where is it located on site? The highest thing I noticed was the framework for the White Oak signage.

Four of Richmond's grocers made the US' Best and Worst Grocery Stores List. Ukrops, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes come in the top 20, and Food Lion comes in the back 10.

I see that you read aol's home page like I do occasionally.

Seems odd that Harris Teeter was not on the list. I often hear people in Tidewater and Carolina singing its praises.

But, hey! Three out of four is pretty good! Like Harris Teeter, Kroger got no mention. The latter will have its largest store in the East at Stonebridge (formerly known as Chippenham Place and, before that, Cloverleaf mall.)

Edited by burt

I see that you read aol's home page like I do occasionally.

Seems odd that Harris Teeter was not on the list. I often hear people in Tidewater and Carolina singing its praises.

But, hey! Three out of four is pretty good! Like Harris Teeter, Kroger got no mention. The latter will have its largest store in the East at Stonebridge (formerly known as Chippenham Place and, before that, Cloverleaf mall.)

I a bit suprised that Harris Teeter is not the area.

Regency Square Macy's is getting a separate F.A.O Schwarz toy store, though it will be one of the very small versions of only 300 s/f. Later, all Macy's everywhere will get a Schwarz, including other local stores. Some may be considerably larger than the initial one at Regency Square.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-22-0225.html

Edited by burt

Actually StevenRocks there is a KB toy store right where Eddie Bauer used to be at Regency. But other than that and the FAO Schwartz thats about it as far as toys unless you consider Gamestop which is video games as toys. But anyways I went to the brand new Bass Pro Shops in hanover today. All I gotta say is Oh My God if you are a fishing freak like I him you are gonna spend a fortune in there. I spent $120 today there on fishing stuff. Got a new fishing bag, rod and reel combo and some lures and stuff. Yeah incase you all didnt know they had an early opening which was this past weekend and the grand opening is next week. They opened it early to test it out and its customers. But all I gotta say is I will be going there many more times I loved it. They also have a nascar simulation, shooting range simulation and a huge waterfall and aquarium as well as a small pond inside with fish in it. The elevators are awesome cause when your going up and down the glass in the elevator is clear so you can see everything as you go up it. But I cant wait for the outlet mall to open. I dont know now but id almost decide to move to Hanover county with all the stuff thats going up there. Im also really glad they are going to be building a sonics drive in restaurant up in hanover on the corner of route 1 and I think its either kings acres road or sliding hill road but I cant really remember which one it is. But if any of you all are big hunting fishing or even cooking freaks I recomend going up there.

• 2 weeks later...

The 900,000+ s/f White Oak Life Style Center on the eastern outskirts of Richmond at Laburnum Avenue and I-64 officially opens next Monday, October 13th.

But if you want a sneak preview, several stores will debut beginning with Ukrops and Pet Smart tomorrow; Target on Wednesday; Office Max on Thursday and Lowe's next Sunday.

This information is courtesy of Lou Llovio at inRich.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Llovio also says that CVS will be the first retailer at The Shoppes at Westchester. It will open next Monday, October 13th in the initial retail section of Watkins Center at Rts. 288 and US 60 west of Midlothian.

I bid farewell to the old Ukrop's Friday... I heard a rumor Garden Ridge may relocate there... but I think it's way too small.

Poor Laburnum Park... they're losing 4 places to White Oak... Ukrop's, Dress Barn, Dots, and Wachovia.

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far, Burt, you'd love the fountains at White Oak. The Ukrop's has had a full parking lot every time I've driven by or been. It's been very busy inside and I've run into several people I knew who also wonder where the heck are all these people coming from? I say that it's the normal people, just at one time... but all the time now? I have not been to any other place in the shopping center (no need at the moment), but I have driven by and it looks like it's being broken in well. It's kind of odd to see people walking around other than going from the car to a building.

Well so far, Burt, you'd love the fountains at White Oak. The Ukrop's has had a full parking lot every time I've driven by or been. It's been very busy inside and I've run into several people I knew who also wonder where the heck are all these people coming from? I say that it's the normal people, just at one time... but all the time now? I have not been to any other place in the shopping center (no need at the moment), but I have driven by and it looks like it's being broken in well. It's kind of odd to see people walking around other than going from the car to a building.

Ahhh! Fountains! I hope there are lots of flags and banners as well.

Some pix of the newly opened White Oak Life Style Center would be appreciated.

Good to hear that it's bustling.

I visited White Oak today. It was a very pleasant development. I'm happy for the eastenders that they have a nice place to shop.

I also went to Bas Pro today. It was worth the short drive up 95. Really impressive operation! It will serve as a huge catalyst for development in the area. In 5-7 years it will be as big as the Virginia Center Commons Mall area.

Westchester Life Style Center in Chesterfield is a far cry from what county residents had been promised early on.

Here's Style Weekly's take on retail in the Richmond Region (click "Stripped Down"):

http://styleweekly.com/news.asp

The story by Scott Bass doesn't even mention the recently opened White Oak Life Style Center in the east end.

Thoughts, Steven Rocks and others?

Edited by burt

The Richmond retail market is over-saturated. Even if the economy was booming, 7 million square feet of new retail in five years would be hard to absorb. The part that makes me mad is that it's all pretty much the same 20 leading national stores, most of which were already in the market.

Hopefully, the duplicate stores in the exurbs will be the ones to suffer. They are the ones that shouldn't have been built in the first place. They basically function as a vacuum, drawing people further from city centers only to allow the areas behind them to collapse. It's unhealthy development at its finest. We should be focusing on infill in the City and inner suburbs and not knocking down more trees to increase the strip mall sprawl.