Retail in Richmond

vdogg

The building at 15th and Cary should be in the process of being rehabbed. I believe the owner of the building adjacent to Tobacco Company and the Tobacco Company is one in the same.

I don't think so. If Jerry Cable, owner of Tobacco Company, held title to the building he would never have allowed it to remain in that condition. It looks exactly as it did before the first renovation took place in The Slip. In fact, I believe it is directly across an alley from TC and has a former owner's name painted along the second level.

The buildings on 15th Street behind the long abandoned corner one are being converted to apartments according to CommRE, and it appears that something is going on in the corner building.

The Slip has always been well maintained and is a prime tourist attraction in Richmond. I hope they can get more unique, upscale merchants. The Religious Freedom complex should help.

A couple of long-time men's clothiers are going out of business in Richmond.

It's not mentioned in the story, but I believe Shevel's at one time was in a East Grace Street storefront in what is now The Carpenter Theatre (those shop spaces have been reconfigured and are now part of the expanded theatre lobby.)

I could be wrong about the downtown Shevels, but I do recall buying lots of nice upscale clothes in the little store in my young adulthood (1950's & '60's).

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-213339/156018/

Sad to see both of those institutions pass into the annuls of history. Losing locally owned businesses is always a bad thing.

The thing that bothered me more was some of the reader comments posted at the end of the story. Getting dressed up isn't as comfortable as shorts and a t-shirt or as popular as it once was, but to label the shopkeepers as snobs and the clothing they sold as superficial when the stores were already going out of business for lack of sales shows no class.

I would surmise that to these people, loading up on overpriced third world goods at corporate outposts of far away retail conglomerates that might, if they're feeling like its good marketing, donate a couple thousand to the local United Way, is the better choice. No wonder all the malls look alike!

I feel even better about my purchases from Franco's, which for me is easily the most interesting store at Short Pump Town Center because of its locality and uniqueness.

These local stores need our support, and when I'm shopping in Richmond, I'm going to at least check them out even if I don't purchase.

Sad to see both of those institutions pass into the annuls of history. Losing locally owned businesses is always a bad thing.

The thing that bothered me more was some of the reader comments posted at the end of the story. Getting dressed up isn't as comfortable as shorts and a t-shirt or as popular as it once was, but to label the shopkeepers as snobs and the clothing they sold as superficial when the stores were already going out of business for lack of sales shows no class.

I would surmise that to these people, loading up on overpriced third world goods at corporate outposts of far away retail conglomerates that might, if they're feeling like its good marketing, donate a couple thousand to the local United Way, is the better choice. No wonder all the malls look alike!

I feel even better about my purchases from Franco's, which for me is easily the most interesting store at Short Pump Town Center because of its locality and uniqueness.

These local stores need our support, and when I'm shopping in Richmond, I'm going to at least check them out even if I don't purchase.

Great post Steven. I've vowed to buy all my gifts this year from local merchants so I'll be happily doing all my shopping in Carytown and the Slip this year. Oh and does anyone know where I can buy a starter brewing kit in town?

Great post Steven. I've vowed to buy all my gifts this year from local merchants so I'll be happily doing all my shopping in Carytown and the Slip this year. Oh and does anyone know where I can buy a starter brewing kit in town?

Maybe actual breweries sell them as novelties ric75. Why not ask at Richbrau in The Slip, or Legends across the river.

Snow coming down heavily right now in Manhattan. Predicting 3 to 5 inches.

Edited by burt

Lou Llovio in his RTD column today says that Henrico County officials are very pleased with White Oak village, the new retail center on Laburnum Avenue. It has created 1,146 jobs thus far. The county's chief executive, Virgil Hazelett, says "it's a real success and is providing a significant boost to our local economy."

That's good news, and looking at it, I could tell. Traffic has increased in that area and they did a good job at reconfiguring Laburnum to handle it, which was an issue at the first public meeting in 2006. I still think the parking lot for Circuit City, Petsmart, Office Max, and the blank-faced storefront, is too large. They could split 1/4 of it and build another restaurant. Maybe in the future they'll do that as an expansion. But I still worry a little. Several stores haven't opened yet and there are several uncommitted storefronts at White Oak, and across the street Five Guys is about to open but the rest of Best Buy Station is empty as well as Audobon Crossing, which lost A&N and had several storefronts that have never attracted business, and Laburnum Park's recently vacated places. What's wrong? Why is it hard to still get businesses to open here? If it were in Short Pump there would be a wait list.

• 3 weeks later...

So it looks like Steve & Barry's is not coming to Glen Lea Shopping Center. Instead the former Winn-Dixie was split in two and Shop Rite has a sign up while a giant for lease sign is up on the other half. Also the shopping center lost Pizza Hut... now the East End is down to just one. We used to have three... four if you counted the Laburnum location across from the fairgrounds. So the East End steps up one with White Oak and four steps back with a ghetto store opening at Glen Lea, the continuing decay of Henrico Plaza and Fairfield Commons, and Grove Pointe seeming to be just plans on paper.

In these times of economic uncertainty, changes are underway at Regency Square off Parham Road in the far West End. DTLR is relocating to a larger space in the mall and Jimmy Jazz will be a new tenant.

Steven Rocks can tell us about these stores which are described as "upscale."

The popular restaurant TEXAS DE BRASIL is located in Regency Square.

From today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-065621/175526/

I don't think the website is very attractive, but it indicates a number of new tenants have opened at Richmond's upscale Stony Point Fashion Park:

http://www.shopstonypoint.com/

It's still the only life style center in the region that welcomes dogs!

Here are websites for the other two Life Style Centers in Greater Richmond:

http://www.shortpumpmall.com/

http://www.theshopsatwhiteoakvillage.com/

As far as I know Watkins Center (sometimes called Westchester Village) west of Midlothian has not yet opened.

Edited by burt

In these times of economic uncertainty, changes are underway at Regency Square off Parham Road in the far West End. DTLR is relocating to a larger space in the mall and Jimmy Jazz will be a new tenant.

Steven Rocks can tell us about these stores which are described as "upscale."

The popular restaurant TEXAS DE BRASIL is located in Regency Square.

From today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-065621/175526/

Jimmy Jazz and DTLR both carry some exclusive streetwear brands and I guess you could call them upscale in that sense, but I don't think they're they're upscale in the Short Pump/Stony Point sense. It's not the old Regency, but it ain't bad.

Say goodbye to Circuit City. Sadly Richmond loses another Fortune 500 company.

The headquarters on West Broad Street will be practically empty in 60 days. Will it ever be sold?

But the sad, heartbreaking side of this is that 1,500 employees currently in that building will be without jobs, and that figure does not include sales people in local stores. Thousands of others across the Nation will be on unemployment lines.

I recall when the business started just after WWII as Ward's TV in a small storefront on West Broad just east of Meadow Street. Sears (the building is still there) was one block east.

Sidebar: Speaking of TV, Richmond was the first city in the south to have a commercial television station. It began airing in 1946 as WTVR, Channel 6. It still operates and is Richmond's CBS affiliate.

Edited by burt

I bet Short Pump's store will be vacant less than a week before it's leased or bought. White Oak's parking lot was busy yesterday and today. I hope something comes in place of CC at White Oak fast. There would be two vacant large shops side by side.

Here is today's story with slideshow about the Circuit City closure.

How large in square footage is it's headquarters buiding? Though it's not discussed in the story, I assume it will be for sale just like all its other holdings.

Maybe some corp like GMAC which reportedly is entertaining a move from NYC to Charlotte would consider the space and set up its main office in Metro Richmond.

From today's R-TD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-220510/181312/

Edited by burt

• 4 weeks later...