Retail in Richmond

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

River City Rapids is reporting that the Ukrops and Harrison & Grace streets is closing on May 10th. :(

Any reason why? It's always seeme dto be a busy store to me. They could use a new store on the site so many it's for that? But Ukrop's needs a store in that part of town.

Any reason why? It's always seeme dto be a busy store to me. They could use a new store on the site so many it's for that? But Ukrop's needs a store in that part of town.

busy nine months out of the year maybe, but the whole year I dont think so. I also think their patronage is plummeting from competition from the nearby kroger. ukrops also is marketed more towards higher-end clientele, which they don't really get too much of at that location (small fan area population that fits their dynamic).

My theory is that they are looking for a larger pad site to get one of their larger stores into the downtown/fan area. hence their mention with the john Marshal project. Just for that to be mentioned means someone talked to someone else - maybe even had something designed to show how it would work. I just don't think the rooftops quite work yet for a grocery store that far into downtown.

Anyone know Ukrop's, Food Lion's, or Krogers pro forma for coming into a market? Especially one that involves parking garage space?

My favorite grocery store in the DC area always was the Harris Teeter at Pentagon City because it had clean, safe, and well-lit underground parking with an escalator and elevator going up to the store.

I don't know where you would put something like that downtown, though.

Ukrop's has some experience with parking underground decks, cart escalators and elevators, etc from its store in Roanoke.... but I just don't see them coming downtown. Boulevard redevelopment? Rockett's?

Switching gears, one nice thing about the downtown Starbucks is that it is open 7 days a week. Granted, part of that is because it's in the Omni which stays relatively busy, but still.

And speaking of favorite things in the DC area, I'd love to have a Potbelly's downtown! I miss that place!

I love Quizno's... and all food is overprices these days...

I've always seen the Harrison Ukrop's as busy. What could fill that space? And how could a Ukrop's locate at the John Marshall, I'm having a hard time picturing that. However, there has to be some place for a Ukrop's downtown or servicing that area. We all can't go to Carytown or Forest Hill. That one store is a stop for me when I'm in that area. The Kroger is always a mess to me.

I love Quizno's... and all food is overprices these days...

I've always seen the Harrison Ukrop's as busy. What could fill that space? And how could a Ukrop's locate at the John Marshall, I'm having a hard time picturing that. However, there has to be some place for a Ukrop's downtown or servicing that area. We all can't go to Carytown or Forest Hill. That one store is a stop for me when I'm in that area. The Kroger is always a mess to me.

The Kroger's a mess?!? I freakin' love that place!! The produce is kind of lacking but that Kroger has been a Godsend to the area. Now the krops at Grace has been a catastrophe ever since they tore down the Burger Meister and built the Safeway. It has always been a mess. The krops did some remodeling in the past but it was simply lipstick on a pig, if you ask me. I can totally understand this place cashing in its chips.

As for what will become of it, my first guess would be VCU?

The Kroger's a mess?!? I freakin' love that place!! The produce is kind of lacking but that Kroger has been a Godsend to the area. Now the krops at Grace has been a catastrophe ever since they tore down the Burger Meister and built the Safeway. It has always been a mess. The krops did some remodeling in the past but it was simply lipstick on a pig, if you ask me. I can totally understand this place cashing in its chips.

As for what will become of it, my first guess would be VCU?

Not the store itself being a mess... but that one off Lombardy is always crowded and people love to play dodge with cars backing up.

Ukrop's has some experience with parking underground decks, cart escalators and elevators, etc from its store in Roanoke.... but I just don't see them coming downtown.
Roanoke got a lot of those features because of the topography of the site, but it was worth it to capture the nearby demographics. Whether they'd do that in Richmond is largely dependent on whether they would get significant ROI.

• 4 weeks later...

Can a Target fit on that site?

The Dollar Tree at the old Firestone is a disapointment, btw...

I'm with ya on that Brent. I drove all the way down Broad today to see what was going on and noticed the sign. Such a nice looking building for such a crappy store. Can't we relegate them to suburban strip malls? Lots of road and utility work was going on on Broad in the CBD. Made getting thruugh a chore. Got to see the National sans exterior scaffolding and it looks good. Can't wait till those water lines are fixed or buried and they put their marquee up.

Hopefully the former Ukrop's and its parking lot can be viewed as development opportunity that would cater towards VCU.

Great oppurtunity for either VCU to expand with another large mixed-use building, or for someone else to come along and tear up the building and surface parking and do IN-FILL!!

Totally convenient location to both students and the fan - won't be empty long I can guarantee that.

• 2 weeks later...

Saks Fifth Avenue only operates about 57 top grade stores in the country, but I read recently that they are taking a hard look at stores with lower than anticipated sales. Apparently Richmond's Saks at Stony Point Fashion Park is doing all right. The only store closure has been the one in the Galleria of Ft. Lauderdale which was under-performing.