Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Stop thinking negative stuff Burt! Demolishing landmarks, walling off scenic views, and sending off a homegrown company... What I'd like to know is how is Best Buy beating them and what's so different? Both look the same to me... but I tell you "The City" store at Broad and Gaskins looks nothing like it used to and the service... is worse than a clingy girlfriend...

Circuit city store sales have not been improving of late.

Steven Rocks, do you see a buy-out or merger in the company's future? It's a major Fortune headquarters in Richmond and would be a big blow to the local economy if it should leave.

The company just promised the poorly performing execs bonuses to stay on board for certain lengths of time. My initial reaction was that it sounded like the idiocy that has gotten Circuit City into the shape it's in now, but friends pointed out that they may be doing that to maintain leadership (however poor) through a buyout. Better to keep things stable during the transition and let the new guys make their own revisions.

I have to say, that made a lot more sense than thinking that they were really rewarding such poor performance.

And let's not forget they layed off thousands of experienced employees to replace them with new employees who will accept lower pay. It seems that strategy really went over well in the trenches (stores)... I have to say, I try to support Circuit City, but every single time the customer service is horrible or non-existent and the selection is often poor compared to Best Buy. A great example was when no registers were staffed (at like 4 in the afternoon!), about a dozen of us were standing around, and no one was even at the customer service counter... someone who clearly didn't want to be at work eventually showed up after 5 minutes and took their time ringing everyone up, but not before half of the people waiting dropped their goods and left.

In defense, I have to say that my two experiences at Circuit City stores have been more than satisfactory. I bought my new laptop at the store in Union Square here in Manhattan. They were courteous and very helpful.

In Richmond, I went into the Gaskins/Broad store (while it was undergoing renovation) to make a purchase. They did not have the particular item in stock, but called around to other stores for me. I drove to the Virginia Commons store, and they were waiting for me with the device. I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Ah thanks, I hope things will get better there. I haven't had any problems at any of the ones I've visted... typically mine's the VCC store until they open at WOV. However, one complaint I have seen is the music is usually very unorganized compared to Best Buy. The most organized store where I was impressed was Short Pump's. :rolleyes: I don't think I'll go back to the City though because that customer service is over-obsessive and it felt like someone was attached to me while I was there.

Circuit city store sales have not been improving of late.

Steven Rocks, do you see a buy-out or merger in the company's future? It's a major Fortune headquarters in Richmond and would be a big blow to the local economy if it should leave.

I can't figure Circuit City out. After being an industry darling, they spent several years watching Best Buy gobble up market share as they stuck to their (then) increasingly unpopular retail format. Then they did a quasi-Best Buy-style makeover that gave them a little more traction but still doesn't stick with customers. Next up is "The City" - which sounds promising according to the link New Day, New City. We'll see.

They've had a habit of starting new things, inadequately funding them, and then trashing them before they get a chance to blossom. If they don't get a grip, they're going to put themselves out of business.

In California, where I live, we have a Circuit City here, but it's very small, especially compared to the Best Buy here. However, Best Buy always seems like the "Big Lots" of electronic stores in that there is no customer service (NONE!) and usually the store seems very...well, unorganized. At Circuit City, at least I get customer service (some people like that, others don't - I don't when I'm just browsing, but when I really want to buy something, I like customer service). I actually wish that they would upgrade the Circuit City here to look like the cool stores there in Richmond in order to compete better with the Best Buy here.

I have to say, I try to support Circuit City, but every single time the customer service is horrible or non-existent and the selection is often poor compared to Best Buy. A great example was when no registers were staffed (at like 4 in the afternoon!), about a dozen of us were standing around, and no one was even at the customer service counter... someone who clearly didn't want to be at work eventually showed up after 5 minutes and took their time ringing everyone up, but not before half of the people waiting dropped their goods and left.

I have been very unimpressed by the Hugeneot and Charlottesville locations. I do not like clongy service, either, but see a serious issue when their are 5+ employees all hanging out and chatting and ingnoring the customers in the store. In Charlottesville, I saw your cashier issue to the T. I really would like to support Circuit City, but how they are now I always end up at Best Buy. I may have to check out the new "The City," though.

Is there anything left that was started in Richmond? I'm also worried about Circuit City. We lost our department store, our big banks, BEST, A&N... we really need Ukrop's to go national...

Not that I think Ukrops is really threatened by them, but the Fresh Market is really going to give Ukrops a run for its money if they start expanding in the area.

I thought we actually lost 2 department stores; Thalheimer's and Miller & Rhoads.

Didn't Papa John's start in Richmond?

Not that I think Ukrops is really threatened by them, but the Fresh Market is really going to give Ukrops a run for its money if they start expanding in the area.

I thought we actually lost 2 department stores; Thalheimer's and Miller & Rhoads.

I thought that Papa John's started in Virginia Beach, but after reading the following from the Papa John's website I think it was actually started in Indiana.

>>>

As a high school student working at a local pizza pub in Jeffersonville, Indiana, Papa John's founder John Schnatter realized that there was something missing from national pizza chains: a superior-quality traditional pizza delivered to the customer's door. His dream was to one day open a pizza restaurant that would fill that void.

In 1984, "Papa" John Schnatter knocked out a broom closet located in the back of his father's tavern (Mick's Lounge), sold his prized 1972 Z28 Camaro, purchased $1,600 worth of used restaurant equipment, and began selling his pizzas to the tavern's customers. The customers loved the pizza so much that John was able to expand by moving into adjoining space, eventually leading to the opening of the first Papa John's restaurant in 1985.

Today, there are more than 3,000 Papa John's restaurants worldwide. More importantly, Papa John's remains committed to its heritage of making a superior-quality, traditional pizza.

>>>

I guess I didn't put an s on department stores. It was supposed to be plural... we had more than 2.

Coupe from what I remember is I heard cavalier got sold to someone cause like I said I know the son of the owner of cavalier telephone and from what I heard they sold the company and it now has a bad reputation cause there customer service at one time was great but now its a bunch of stupid people who dont know how to straightin anything out. My mom has been on the phone with Cavalier telephone for the past 6 months trying to stragiht up phone service mess and we are just about sick of it and I know that cavalier got bought out cause I remember hearing about it. I think my mom told me that some multimedia company bought out cavalier along time ago from what she said. Because I know the the guy that started cavalier telephone his last name was evans whose son went to freeman with me and his name was Darren Evans but I forget his fathers first name who started cavalier telephone. But I know for sure that Cavalier got bought out along time ago.

Edited by Downtowner