Retail in Richmond

vdogg

The Ukrop's is just moving across the street where they probably can build a bigger building. They opened the Laburnam store about 1988... I remember being mad that my grandmother didn't take me to the new store when it opened. We used to go across town to the Staples Mill store. The Laburnam Park store expanded when it took over a vacant pizza restaurant next door and remodeled the building itsself in the late 90s. My cousin was working there during that time. If I can recall, the store set up was like Carytown's or Ashland's. Come on now Joey! You should have known we have one Ukrop's since I have said the chicken and wedges on this side are far better than what I've bought at Westpark or Short Pump.

I know Southpark Mall is coming back I meab they just added a new Regal Cinema Theater there. Not to mention even though theres not as many stores compared to other malls. Its Still a decent Mall. Since I go down to Southpark for Sports Card Shows. But mainly go to Virginia Center Commons for Sports Card Shows. Also I noticed today in the Times Dispatch is that Gander Mountain is about to open along Sliding Hill Road in Hanover.

Stephen you should find this article interesting:

Short Pump remains dominant

It also provides insight into the adjustments the other 4 major malls.

Gilligan's fishing for a dramatic story. It's no surprise that Short Pump dominates, and the next year won't bring any major changes at Chesterfield or Stony Point. The one to watch, rather than worrying about Regency and/or Stony Point failing is Virginia Center. It's the mall with the most to lose because it has no niche.

Burt no I havent really herd about Bass Pro lately. But I do believe I saw land clearing for Bass Pro along 95 from DC. But I might of just been illusinating.

Gander Mtn sneakily opened last week, but its official grand opening event isnt for a week or so. Bass Pro is still in the works, but considering the developer, the engineer, and the other politics involved, this project will take some time to develop.

About the idea of Bass Pro going downtown, it would be a brilliant move for the city. But, I got the feeling that the reasoning for Bass being that far north is to try and capture Fredericksburg's market also... hence the thinking of the Bass Pro on the peninsula in Hampton... it captures the Williamsburg and Virginia Beach region nicely.

I think we will have to rely on a New Urbanist downtown mall market project to truly draw in large scale retailers and chain restuarants... Ill say I wouldnt mind living above an American Eagle and a couple of offices, as long as Quizno's is around the corner ( a walk that is) and my local grocery is a block away....

This inRich story might explain why Hampton Roads with it's tens of thousands of military personnel and retirees has fewer high-end grocery store options than most regions its size.

Imagine if we veterans could avail ourselves of ground beef at $1.29 a pound and bananas for 39 cents. But, alas, it's only for active or retired military.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....10-01-0168.html

Edited by burt

About the idea of Bass Pro going downtown, it would be a brilliant move for the city. But, I got the feeling that the reasoning for Bass being that far north is to try and capture Fredericksburg's market also... hence the thinking of the Bass Pro on the peninsula in Hampton... it captures the Williamsburg and Virginia Beach region nicely.

I don't know about a Bass Pro Shop in the city. I don't think that it would fly. Bass Pro Shops requires a HUGE footprint. Many of the stores nationwide have personal ponds where someone who is dropping ten grand on a bass boat can test drive it. Unless the Bass Pro Shop was located right on the James River, I don't see it as even a potential.

I don't know about a Bass Pro Shop in the city. I don't think that it would fly. Bass Pro Shops requires a HUGE footprint. Many of the stores nationwide have personal ponds where someone who is dropping ten grand on a bass boat can test drive it. Unless the Bass Pro Shop was located right on the James River, I don't see it as even a potential.

I can't speak for every city that has one, but down here in Charlotte we have one located about 15-20 min north of the city. It's right off the interstate and part of a large shopping complex. So yea, you would need a large foot print for the store and I don't think, if I recall correctly, there is a place in downtown Richmond for that. Maybe somewhere closer to Fredericksburg or Petersburg would be a more appropriate spot.

Over a year ago, The Bass Pro Shop was announced for a site at I-95 and Lewistown Road which is about 14 miles north of Capital Square in Richmond. The new Gander Mountain is about half a mile further south toward town on I-95.

I can't seem to get an official answer from anyone as to whether or not Bass Pro Shop on its very large footprint is actually under construction. When I drove past that spot in April I saw a large expanse of cleared land in the area but nothing that passed as a building while whizzing along at 60 mph.

I'll look again when I'm in Richmond next week. Meanwhile, if anyone knows for sure about the status of Bass Pro Shop, please let us know.

How abouit an Ikea for Main Street Station shed? :)

I think an awesome concept would've been for bass pro or cabella's to open up shop in the Main Street Station train shed.... Destination retailer for downtown, AWESOME visibility for the store, win win for all.

:thumbsup:

Still, even Cabella's may be too big to fit in the train shed after thinking about it...

:thumbsup:

Still, even Cabella's may be too big to fit in the train shed after thinking about it...

Why don't they turn the shed into a huge enclosed farmer's market, ala Philadelphia's Reading Market, and get rid of that embarrassing thing on 17th Street? There could be all kinds of produce, bucheries and fish mongers as well as arts and crafts.

17th Street could become an open air, landscaped plaza with fountains (hahaha - dream on, Burt!)) where festivals could be held. Perhaps it could be illuminated like Cathedral Walk.

Why don't they turn the shed into a huge enclosed farmer's market, ala Philadelphia's Reading Market, and get rid of that embarrassing thing on 17th Street? There could be all kinds of produce, bucheries and fish mongers as well as arts and crafts.

17th Street could become an open air, landscaped plaza with fountains (hahaha - dream on, Burt!)) where festivals could be held. Perhaps it could be illuminated like Cathedral Walk.

I'd love to see it with fountainS... I'd like one similar to the Diana memorial... like a big Slip N Slide!

The Farmer's Market at 17th Street is one of the oldest operating farmer's markets in the country (early 1700's). IMO, it should be promoted and marketed better. Also, they should limit the stalls to persons selling local grown vegetables, herbs and other food goods and get rid of the people selling junk. There is someone down there selling old glass bottles and was interviewed on the television news. She said that business was really slow and attempted to attribute the slow business to parking in Shockoe Bottom. Bullcrap! She was attempting to sell a bunch of trash! She needs to take that junk up to the intersection of Azalea and Meadowbridge.

If the current management continues to allow it to operate like a flea market, they will never be able to attract real farmers with real produce.

The Farmer's Market at 17th Street is one of the oldest operating farmer's markets in the country (early 1700's). IMO, it should be promoted and marketed better. Also, they should limit the stalls to persons selling local grown vegetables, herbs and other food goods and get rid of the people selling junk. There is someone down there selling old glass bottles and was interviewed on the television news. She said that business was really slow and attempted to attribute the slow business to parking in Shockoe Bottom. Bullcrap! She was attempting to sell a bunch of trash! She needs to take that junk up to the intersection of Azalea and Meadowbridge.

If the current management continues to allow it to operate like a flea market, they will never be able to attract real farmers with real produce.

My 2 cents:

The only thing "old" about 17th Street Farmer's Market is the site itself. Certainly that pathetic shed is not old. That "market" hasn't been busy since the enclosed building was demolished several generations ago. In fact, it's been doing better in recent years but is still woefully inadequate.

The two-level shed at Main Street Station, sheilded from the elements, could have adjacent parking and far more space for a true market -- including the beleagured lady selling her bottles.