Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Who knows with Haynes.... I grew up on the "Whatever you do, don't bring money! Not a penny! Not a nickel! Pay nothing till 2042!" commercials... if they are closing the doors for good, this is the end of an era :lol:

Today, I just got into Richmond and was craving some ukrop's chicken (and shrimp scampi wrap from the grill)... the leg I had was probably one of the best I've ever had. It had no flaws! mmmmmm :lol: sorry but I just had to mention it!

I like Popeye's spicy fried chicken. mmmmmm.

All of the Haynes locations has been going out of business for YEARS! :lol:

Are you guys talking about the company that sells underwear and has sexy ladies saying "I'd like to get my haynes on you"?

:rofl: that company is Hanes.

I think Haynes also has a store on the outer banks, not far after you cross the sound.

"Early in the year 1930 during depression times, Ellis Strelitz purchased a small furniture store in Norfolk on Church Street from L.D. Haynes. Joined by his son, Leonard R. Strelitz, in 1949 and in 1953 by Leonard

I don't understand how they stay in business. You can find all kind of blogs complaining about them. My old man told me to never buy from them.

I've never shopped there because of the bad reputation they have, but I did shop at both The Dump and North Carolina Company before I knew Haynes owned them. Neither was a good experience.

I don't understand how they stay in business. You can find all kind of blogs complaining about them. My old man told me to never buy from them.
It's kind of like Marlo Furniture in DC, Schewels Furniture in Southside Virginia and, to a lesser extent, Rooms To Go. The furniture is cheap and they have liberal credit policies. It's immensely popular and profitable.

How long will this outdoor lifestyle trend last? Can we expect more in the South and if so, where is it most likely? Does it always even need a department anchor?
I think it'll last another ten years or so. That's when it'll reach its saturation point in the top American metro markets. The lifestyle trend is already choking in some places, because there's only so many quality stores that want to locate in glorified strip malls and supply is outstripping demand.

It's kind of like Marlo Furniture in DC, Schewels Furniture in Southside Virginia and, to a lesser extent, Rooms To Go. The furniture is cheap and they have liberal credit policies. It's immensely popular and profitable.

Actually Haynes isn't the cheapest around. They are expensive for what you get.

West Elm coming to Short Pump Town Center

This is a fairly new concept by Williams Sonoma, and Richmond will be the smallest market for West Elm so far when it gains its 14th nationwide store.

Williams-Sonoma Inc. created its West Elm stores to compete with Swedish retailer IKEA, which operates giant stores. "We're a much smaller specialty version of IKEA and we focus on quality," he said.

So even though we don't have an IKEA yet, at least we have a "mini one" :w00t:

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya, Steve.

Does anyone know how American Apparel is doing in Carytown?

What is this I hear about no retail on the ground level of Vistas on the James? I thought retail of some description was a requirement of the Riverfront Corp.

And Steve, do you have any hope for the boarded up shops on Grace across from M&R and next to Berry Burk?

Seems to me with over 85,000 workers downtown five days a week it would not be a Herculean task to attract unique businesses.

PS: in my book, "unique" and perhaps "daring" and "upscale" are the key words for downtown retailers.

A hopeful sign: Furniture stores seem to be attracted to The Slip. There are now three: La Difference, These Four Walls and another whose name I don't recall. Toad's Place is shaping up for an opening in September, and I can see it being a catalyst of change.

Burt, I'm not sure how American Apparel is doing in Carytown, but their clothes are flying off the racks elsewhere, so I imagine they're doing well.

As far as the shops across from M&R, I think they will be occupied soon, and considering the upscale nature of the hotel project, they should go to some cool stores. Look for "unique" and, yes, perhaps "daring" :)

The retail along Grace will lag behind the residential growth downtown, but I see it as a fantastic strip for proper national retailers to open up. I think we'll have to wait till the hotel and condos open, but it'll be worth the wait.

As for American Apparel... the g/f and I checked it out a couple weeks ago. It was a pretty nifty place. They had lots of clothes that beckoned back to 80's styles... so if I'm going to an 80's party anytime soon, that's the place I'll be hitting up. It was the early afternoon on a wednesday, so the place wasn't packed, but I'd say it was just as busy as any retailer in a mall or elsewhere at that time of day in the middle of the week.

As for Vistas... well they better have something going down there....They'd be fools not to.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Glass discusses how Richmond retail ranks with the trends discussed at the recent International Council of Shopping Centers spring convention in Las Vegas. Overall, we seem pretty well off. During the fall of 2007 through early 2008, over 4 million square feet of new retail space will come online in our market. Here's some highlights:

For the first quarter of this year it [CoStar]tracked more than 68.5 million square feet of retail space in our market. That is approximately 50 square feet for every person, or over twice the national average of approximately 23 square feet! The good news in their report is that there is only a 5 percent overall vacancy rate.....

In the fall of 2007 and into 2008 we will see at least 4 million square feet of new retail space in the marketplace. That is more than the 3.6 million square feet that the CoStar Group report noted was delivered in 2003 and 2004 combined....

Westchester Commons (formerly called Highpointe Place) will deliver some 900,000 square feet of space at Route 288 and Midlothian Turnpike, which is a portion of the recently rezoned Watkins Tract.

In the Varina District of Henrico County will be the equally impressive White Oak Village at I-64 and Laburnum Avenue. Short Pump will see West Broad Village (which has already announced Whole Foods as a major tenant) and Towne Center West will rise adjacent to Short Pump Town Center.

Brian Glass discusses how Richmond retail ranks with the trends discussed at the recent International Council of Shopping Centers spring convention in Las Vegas. Overall, we seem pretty well off. During the fall of 2007 through early 2008, over 4 million square feet of new retail space will come online in our market. Here's some highlights:

:w00t:

I assume Glass is referring to Watkins Center when he discusses 900,000 s/f of retail/commercial at 288/60 in Midlothian.

My feeling is that the Watkins project will drain sales from other upscale west end locations. But I do not think White Oak in Varina will do the same. Varina is a long deprived commercial area and I predict White Oak will generate millions in sales. Bow Tie ought to check out the area; a Movieland cineplex out there seems a natural.

By the way, the Glass reference to Westchester Commons, Highpointe Place or whatever it is to be called is the first mention of Watkins Center I've seen here since my sabbatical. I suspect there's lots of behind the scenes secret negotiations going on out there.

I like reading Brian Glass columns. I just wish he would focus from time to time on downtown's retail future.

Edited by burt

Bass Pro Shops Coming?

Outdoors sporting-goods retailer Bass Pro Shops is looking to put a store in the Richmond area, a company official confirmed.

The chain, which sells a range of fishing and hunting gear and equipment for boating, hiking, backpacking and camping, expects to make an announcement in the next several weeks, spokesman Larry Whiteley said.

Real estate sources say the chain is focusing on a site at the southwest quadrant of Interstate 95 and Lewistown Road in Hanover County.

Bass Pro Shops operates 34 stores in 20 states, including a 105,000-square-foot store in Hampton that opened in November 2003. That location, in the Power Plant of Hampton Roads project, has a 19,000-gallon fresh-water aquarium and a 40-foot rock-climbing wall.