Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Whole Foods will be opening in Richmond (out near Short Pump) by 2008...

Yep. It'll be going in West Broad Village, the proposed urban center just west of I-64 on Broad. The center will front on Broad and extend as far south as Three Chopt Road and encompass something like 113 acres. Borders Books may build there, along with Recreational Equipment (REI). Maybe Steve can tell us about that store.

Edited by burt

Recreational Equipment (REI). Maybe Steve can tell us about that store.
REI is primarily focused on hiking, camping and related outdoor pursuits. It's about half-apparel, half-gear. The footwear section is first rate. If you like L.L. Bean, EMS, or Blue Ridge Mountain Sports but want something a little more high-end and focused, this is the store for you.

They also offer yearly memberships (it's a cooperative and you get a percentage of the profits at year's end if you're registered) that save you some money on your purchases, but it's not essential that you have one to shop there.

Best I can tell is that Taubman is in the process of repositioning the mall... They opened their Stony Point Fashion Park a few miles away.... With the two new upscale malls and Regency being Richmond's historically quasi-upscale mall, it took a big hit. The area around it has strong demographics etc.... I'm sure it will come back, but it will never be what it once was.

New Furniture Stores in Shockoe Slip

These Four Walls will take up 11,000 square feet at 14th and East Cary streets, about a block from the LaDifference contemporary home-furnishings store.
Owner Rudy Valente moved to Richmond from New York City, where he recently closed his store on 32nd Street between Park and Lexington avenues that he operated for 40 years. His store, which should open in March or April, will sell contemporary and Shaker-style furniture.

Both stores should be open by April. Valente views his store as complementary to La Diff, rather than a competitor.

La Diff attracts a lot of people from outside of Virginia. Everytime I'm down there I see license plates from as far away as Georgia and New York. Now these people can check out a couple more furniture stores while they're in the Slip !

New Furniture Stores in Shockoe Slip

Both stores should be open by April. Valente views his store as complementary to La Diff, rather than a competitor.

La Diff attracts a lot of people from outside of Virginia. Everytime I'm down there I see license plates from as far away as Georgia and New York. Now these people can check out a couple more furniture stores while they're in the Slip !

Very good news Coupe! I hope they restore and keep up with the facade of La Diff. Ive always been fancied with the color and architecture of that building and Id love to see more like it!

It looks like a kinda Furniture District is being established in The Slip. I believe Valente's R V COLE FURNITURE at 1217 E. Cary will be in the former Cudahy's Gallery space.

My friend, Helen Levinson, was the lady who kept Cudahy's open for 20 years or so until the out-of-town owner decided to close the shop. Not because it wasn't doing great business, but because his interests shifted. Cudahy's, under Helen's expert guidance, had fabulous openings, attracted top-line artists and did big sales. So good, in fact, the owners of La Difference asked her to establish a gallery connected to, but not within, it's wonderful store on 14th street. Helen's beautiful new gallery is called THE WHITE CANVAS, and if you haven't been there, check it out.

Another new furniture store, as coupe and Tommy pointed out, is THESE FOUR WALLS at 14th and Cary.

Edited by burt

Correction: 1217 E. Cary, the new site of R V COLE FURNITURE, is a block west and across the street from the former Cudahy's Gallery in Shockoe Slip. I don't know what, if anything, has taken over the great space formerly known as Cudahy's.

Anyway, Helen Levinson's WHITE CANVAS is on the east side of 14th street across from the old Southern RR freight depot. From the rear of Helen's gallery, you can access La Difference via a beautiful arcade.

By the way, something may be going on in the old freight depot. I understand the windows have been covered in paper indicating some kind of activity.

Edited by burt

burt, by "old freight depot" are you referring to the southern railway building? I noticed that Tommy had a pic of it from yesterday. I wonder if he noticed anything inside?

There was a sign in one of the windows that said for lease/rent, but besides that it didn't look like much was goin on in there. Ive heard there leasing it out for retail or restaurants though.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news! Overall, the Richmond area's retail market is experiencing a low vacancy rate of 6.5%... Almost 900,000 sf of new space came into the market last year alone, and the vacany rate dropped by 2%... my favorite part is that As of February, Carytown's vacancy rate is 0.5%! There is only 2500sf of space left vacant, which may have been taken up already!

Edited by wrldcoupe4

What about Richmond by itself? I'm sure that rate would go way up... if only we could count the murder rate the same way.

Popeyes is finally open on Laburnam! It's like one of two left in Richmond!

In the city New York Fried Chicken is now open. Ihad a pic of their sign... I thought it was funny... reminded me of the Ghetto Burger. "We ain't just chicken!"

my favorite part is that As of February, Carytown's vacancy rate is 0.5%! There is only 2500sf of space left vacant, which may have been taken up already!

Great to hear. Remember how many people were worried a couple years ago when the two new malls opened? I hope Mom Siam's will stay at their current location. That building had been vacant for a while I think. I drove by there the other evening during that ridiculous warm spell and lots of people were sitting at the outdoor tables, enjoying the weather and good Thai cuisine. I really like what they've done with the place. Lots of color and lights give it a great street-side presence.

Last Monday, I saw Carytown for the first time since... esssh... about 2002? First time I saw Byrd Park in years and I only got a glimpse. I went by Mary Angela's for a sub... first one I had from there since 1997!

Yeah, if it's west of the Bouelvard and south of Monument, I don't see it.