Retail in Richmond

vdogg

I say tear the mall down and build a Wal-Mart.

And in another 5-10 years, you may well have the same problem again when Wal-Mart abandons that property in favor of another one, as they're well-known to do. :angry:

Oh yeah... well... I'm out of ideas.

Why would there be a need for Fairfield Commons when White Oak village will soon be on line? Maybe a Walmart Super Store WOULD fit in very nicely at Nine Mile and Laburnum.

Edited by burt

I think it would to but you know Target would be nice too but who knows since White Oak Village will have alot of Big Box Retail maybe Target will have a store their. I also wonder if the White Oak Village will look like the Strip of Big Box Retailers out near Virgina Center Commons along Route 1. You know theres so many of these village type shopping centers being built right now its hard to belive. First you have Watkins Centre then you have Short Pump West but which isn't as big as the others i'll name but you also have West Broad Village and then you have of course White Oak Village. I mean when you look at it metro wide their are alot of these type of developments being built.

Thanks for the info on the Richmond mall scene. What great shopping!

Stony Point Fashion Park is gorgeous! It is probably the most attractive shopping center I have ever been to, and I've been to lots that are nice, from Phipps Plaza to Fashion Island to Tysons Galleria to the Americana at Manhasset. I trust that Taubman is working on filling the vacancies, especially those near Dick's. That is such a nice mall and it seems to be so close in that I would definitely go back, especially if I lived in Richmond. Definitely a very upscale mall, and definitely in a small top-tier circle of exclusive malls.

Short Pump Town Center is really thriving, and it is a very attractive mall with good variety. Perfect location for major shopping, with big-box retail all around it, and the mall itself seemed like Disney World, with the train in it. Very nice!

Southpark seemed to be in good physical condition and seemed to have decent stores that the mall's clientele would like- things such as the airbrushed art store, the NASCAR-type store, the mom-and-pop store in the apparently former Gap space and the dated appearance of the Hecht's point to some troubles for that mall in the future, though. Glad to have seen it though.

And Azalea Mall? I drove by and saw a sign, but there is no mall; it was demolished?

Thanks again, everyone. I really liked Richmond! The Jefferson Hotel, Monument Avenue and other places were really excellent!

I'm glad you enjoyed your shopping experience here and our sights. I know my gladness about your tour of our malls may seem surprising since two of them rub me the wrong way. Both I've never set foot in, and one I've never even seen. About South Park, I've heard it's not like it used to be... I've never been there either (it's like a vacation to go down there for me). Were those all you visited? Azalea Mall's directory is all that's left of it, like it's a monument. I need to get a pic of it before it's gone... but it's been standing about a good decade after the mall's closure and demolition.

We appreciate your high marks. Thank you and please shop Richmond again!

Mallguy I'm glad you enjoyed Richmond's two new premier malls. Too bad you couldn''t check out Chesterfield Towne Center and Regency Square as well.

I'll agree that Stony Point is absolutely beautiful. I prefer its intimacy over the larger Short Pump, but I hope its smaller size won't hurt its ability to compete. I think another upscale anchor could help ?

Thanks!

Mallguy I'm glad you enjoyed Richmond's two new premier malls. Too bad you couldn''t check out Chesterfield Towne Center and Regency Square as well.

I'll agree that Stony Point is absolutely beautiful. I prefer its intimacy over the larger Short Pump, but I hope its smaller size won't hurt its ability to compete. I think another upscale anchor could help ?

Thanks!

I completely agree. If Nordstrom and the Cheesecake Factory had gone to Stony Point, it would probably do a lot more business.

I completely agree. If Nordstrom and the Cheesecake Factory had gone to Stony Point, it would probably do a lot more business.
If Nordstrom, Cheesecake Factory, Apple and Crate & Barrel were at Stony Point, I'd never go to Short Pump. Edited by StevenRocks

Unlike many similarly sized cities Richmond, in recent years, has lacked "specialty" food shops like butcheries, candy stores, etc. But now, James Kinard has opened his shop called FOR THE LOVE OF CHOCOLATE at 3136 West Cary Street (in Cary Court near Can Can restaurant).

Apparently it has just about any kind of candy one could desire, including Belgian chocolates and other delectibles ranging up to $40 per pound.

I believe there is still a Greek specialty grocery store in about the 300 block of West Broad Street, but am not sure it's still there.

There are specialty Spanish and Oriental markets way out on Broad near Horsepen Road and others, I think, in South Richmond.

Now that there is (apparently) to be no ballpark in Shockoe Bottom, it would be nice if The Farmers Market could upgrade itself. I think Richmond's Farmers Market is pretty pathetic despite the dedication of some people. The space under Main Street Station shed would be a wonderful enclosed all-weather market place.

Going back to the Farmer's market topic: If a decent market is established under MSS shed, the current space could be a central out-door dining space for surrounding restaurants with waiters from each eatery dashing across the narrow streets to their restaurant's designated dining areas. Guttenberg, Havana 59, Papa Ningo, River City Diner, Old City, Rosie's and other nearby cafes could have al fresco seating (in good weather) under the green roof. :)

Oh, well...just a thought.

It was enclosed two or three incarnations ago! It's better as it is now. Who comes up with these plans? Geez, if theirs get serious attention, so should mine, because I've vomitted better plans for everything around the city.

It was enclosed two or three incarnations ago! It's better as it is now. Who comes up with these plans? Geez, if theirs get serious attention, so should mine, because I've vomitted better plans for everything around the city.

Sorry to offend you, Cam. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

No Burt that was not about your plan, it was about the one Coupe mentioned about enclosing the market along with others that have been carried out in the region. But I am a nobody who'll probably be dead in a year... so what should anything I think matter?

As I mentioned in the West Broad Village thread, Recreational Equipment (REI) and Borders are in final negotiations with agents of WBV, and they claim that more than 50% of the 450,000 s/f retail space has been committed. Whole Foods had already signed on as a tenant.

Also, Starbucks is taking over the old Fan Market at the n/w corner of Robinson and Stuart Avenue. It is to debut in August.

All of this information is in Dick Gilligan's business column in today's TD where he also talks about American Apparel. It's Carytown shop is the only one in Virginia, says he. The Company opened its first Virginia store because of the area's young and socially-conscious consumers. "The demographics were right and Richmond has been going through an urban renewal".

Edited by burt

Burt- American Apparel is a cool store. It's been open for a while now, so I'm not sure why Gilligan would be doing a story on the shop. Must be a slow news week :lol:

I'm surprised that, too my knowledge, there isn't a single Starbucks in downtown proper. They'd probably make a killing.