Retail in Richmond

vdogg

I know talking about Covington seems slightly off topic but I'll try and tie it back in. First, I would say that covington is in western Va, but not SW VA. It is in what many people call the 'allegany highlands' Covington is within roanokes media markets, and in that way is tied to SW VA. Covington is a paper mill town and it smells really bad there. I'm not trying to badmouth the place, it just smells strongly in a way that makes you want to run away quickly. But that bad smell is produced by Westvaco.... of mead/westvaco who will soon locate their headquarters in richmond. So next time you buy some paper at a richmond store, preferably a local one, maybe it will be paper that was logged in the allegany highlands, processed in covington, and the profits from production and sale sent back to Richmond.

Edited by mclawsdrive

ohh and whole foods will be coming next year too I think.

I thought it was slated for 2008, but I could be wrong.

Speaking of grocery stores, The Fresh Market finally opened in the old Saxon Shoes location. It's almost a carbon-copy of the Roanoke store, but significantly smaller than Asheville's. Still, it's nice to have another option that isn't Ukrops.

Speaking of grocery stores, The Fresh Market finally opened in the old Saxon Shoes location. It's almost a carbon-copy of the Roanoke store, but significantly smaller than Asheville's. Still, it's nice to have another option that isn't Ukrops.
At least something nice is locating in the neighborhood again. Regency's downfall has really hurt the prestige factor of that intersection.

Competition benefits everyone... Have you been to Tom Leonard's? Would you say that Fresh Market's produce is better?

Yeah, I shop at Tom Leonard's occasionally, as I work out that way (I'd shop at both regularly if they were closer). Quality-wise, I'd say they're comparable. Fresh Market carries a few more "non-standard" produce items that Leonard's doesn't have. And Fresh Market has such a good meat counter.

It was PACKED (almost too much so) last Saturday; I'm quite interested to see how it looks in a couple months. I overheard a handful of people complaining how TFM didn't do this or that the same as Ukrops. THEN GO TO UKROPS, FOOL!

At least something nice is locating in the neighborhood again. Regency's downfall has really hurt the prestige factor of that intersection.

Yeah, well, wait 'til Wal-Mart moves in across the street. Any prestige the left goes right out the window...

Yeah, I shop at Tom Leonard's occasionally, as I work out that way (I'd shop at both regularly if they were closer). Quality-wise, I'd say they're comparable. Fresh Market carries a few more "non-standard" produce items that Leonard's doesn't have. And Fresh Market has such a good meat counter.

It was PACKED (almost too much so) last Saturday; I'm quite interested to see how it looks in a couple months. I overheard a handful of people complaining how TFM didn't do this or that the same as Ukrops. THEN GO TO UKROPS, FOOL!

Yeah, well, wait 'til Wal-Mart moves in across the street. Any prestige the left goes right out the window...

Quality goes, maybe BGW. But crowds come! Like it or not, Walmart's here to stay!

Which is a shame, given the harm they cause on a daily basis. But that's another rant.

BGW, I'm not a fan of Walmart, but admit to shopping in them when I'm not in NYCity (where they have not yet "intruded"). In fact, on my infrequent visits to Richmond, I head out to Short Pump to buy my next year's supply of cheap pajamas, then move on to upscale SPTC or Stony Point Fashion Park, especially Saks 5th Avenue, to watch the happy rich spenders and maybe purchase a treasure or two. I'm a totally unapologic snop, but I look for a bargain when pajamas are involved. :)

Edited by burt

does anyone know if there are any plans for any steve and barrys to built in the area
They seem to be circling the Rchmond market, but I haven't heard about any of them opening in Richmond. The best bet for one nearby (if they come) would be at Regency, Chesterfield Towne Center or Willow Lawn.

They seem to be circling the Rchmond market, but I haven't heard about any of them opening in Richmond. The best bet for one nearby (if they come) would be at Regency, Chesterfield Towne Center or Willow Lawn.

What are Steve and Barry's specialities. I've never heard of them. Where are they headquartered?

I saw in today's Building Permits RTD column that Fourth & Broad Associates LP are spending $200,000 to remodel 321 E. Broad. I wonder if that is the interesting corner building at 4th and Broad that in the 1940s/50s was formerly Grant's, sort of an upper end dime store?