Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Moving is not entirely out of the question for Saks, though I don't see it happening.

The problem with moving to Watkins Centre is that they'd have to have another high-end anchor (like Neiman Marcus or Barneys) to feed traffic off of to make the move make sense. Otherwise they'd be trading locations but not situations.

Ideally, they'd be at Short Pump with Nordstrom, but that's not happening. There's no space.

Moving is not entirely out of the question for Saks, though I don't see it happening.

The problem with moving to Watkins Centre is that they'd have to have another high-end anchor (like Neiman Marcus or Barneys) to feed traffic off of to make the move make sense. Otherwise they'd be trading locations but not situations.

Ideally, they'd be at Short Pump with Nordstrom, but that's not happening. There's no space.

I bet theyd consider Towne Center West, or maybe WBV? Do you know of any upscale tenants that plan on opening up in West Broad Village?

I bet theyd consider Towne Center West, or maybe WBV? Do you know of any upscale tenants that plan on opening up in West Broad Village?
I don't know enough about West Broad Village to comment on potential tenants, but I do know that if Saks leaves Stony Point, pretty much half of that mall (the upmarket half) will leave with them. More than likely their operating agreements are tied to Saks being there. Edited by StevenRocks

I really worry about Stony Point. It's by far my favorite mall in terms of atmosphere but I have the hardest time finding anything to buy anywhere but Brooks Brothers, Restoration Hardware, and Smith and Hawken, and then only once in a blue moon. I keep telling myself that it will pick up once all of the Philip Morris and Mead Westvaco executives start shopping locally.

Is it because it's within the city's limits? If that's so.... [self-censored]! You know how I feel about them.

Until last Wednesday, I had no reason to go out there... the last time I really had to be in that area was for summer school in 1996. I followed the river in that area during the floods though, recently. But I had never seen the mall and it looks like a nice place. But we don't need another Azalea or Fairfield Commons (well that won't be because those people don't live over there). Face facts if you don't like what I just said. It's a card, but you fill in the blanks.

I think he's just be realistic and not overreacting about claims that as of yet are unsubstantiated.

The clerk at the counter or the guy that used to work next door, no offense to either, don't have a view of the whole picture as others might.

I'm not concerned about Stony Point at all. I agree though that the mall would perform even better if another upscale anchor was added, which I'm sure it could easily accomodate on the southern side of the mall between Dillard's and Dick's.

Not to change the subject, but am I the only one that has ever wondered what is planned for the empty lot beside Dick's at Short Pump? It seems logical they would make that a green space or more parking if they didn't have any plans for the space -- right now it's just crappy grass and a line of trees. Would be a nice place for a small artsy theater like in Shirlington (not that I want to give people less reason to come downtown).

Not to change the subject, but am I the only one that has ever wondered what is planned for the empty lot beside Dick's at Short Pump? It seems logical they would make that a green space or more parking if they didn't have any plans for the space -- right now it's just crappy grass and a line of trees. Would be a nice place for a small artsy theater like in Shirlington (not that I want to give people less reason to come downtown).

You know I haven't noticed the empty lot you refer to, but I bet Tommy or Downtowner have. I couldn't really comment till I see it, but perhaps they have something planned? would it make sense to develop it into a restaurant?

Also, Greg Gilligan touches on some retail stuff in his weekly column, though most of it has already been covered.

He talks about Urban Outfitters new location at Short Pump TC and Ukrop's opening 3 new locations over the next 12 months...

The chain will open its second store in Williamsburg at the Williamsburg Marketcenter on Mooretown Rd near Rt 199. Then there's the new Roanoke location which will open early next year, and the new Richmond store in Twin Hickory on Nuckols which will open next summer.

Column

Also, Greg Gilligan touches on some retail stuff in his weekly column, though most of it has already been covered.

He talks about Urban Outfitters new location at Short Pump TC and Ukrop's opening 3 new locations over the next 12 months...

The chain will open its second store in Williamsburg at the Williamsburg Marketcenter on Mooretown Rd near Rt 199. Then there's the new Roanoke location which will open early next year, and the new Richmond store in Twin Hickory on Nuckols which will open next summer.

Column

Yay! A Ukrops in walkable distance!! Ill keep you all updated on this one :thumbsup:

I think he's just be realistic and not overreacting about claims that as of yet are unsubstantiated.

The clerk at the counter or the guy that used to work next door, no offense to either, don't have a view of the whole picture as others might.

I'm not concerned about Stony Point at all. I agree though that the mall would perform even better if another upscale anchor was added, which I'm sure it could easily accomodate on the southern side of the mall between Dillard's and Dick's.

I completely agree, the rumors floating around the water cooler lack perspective and are not substantiated. Sorry, didn't mean to start a panic. I just think that if sales at Saks (in particular at their young men's department) are falling short of expectations, maybe it's because their buyers are not in tune with the market. IMO they should scale back on their ultra-trendy merchandise and focus on catering to the mostly conservative Richmond consumer. Bloomingdales at Tysons has an amazing young men's department, including several lines not carried by the Nordstrom in Short Pump. I think the Richmond market for these goods is sustainable, and I'm not concerned about the future of Stony Point, but Saks needs to do a better job of finding their niche!

Edited by gntrphoo

That's a fair assessment :thumbsup: I've walked through Saks before but that's definitely a store outside of my price bracket haha. Maybe when I'm not a poor college kid. Bloomingdale's would be a neat addition to the market.

I wonder though if Stony Point should try to market itself as THE upscale shopping destination, maybe by trying to add a Neiman Marcus if that was even a possibility. IMO, it already is slightly more upscale overall than Short Pump, though SP is up there too.

Yeah, with stores like Louis Vuitton, Coach, Movado, Hugo Boss, etc. Stony Point definitely seems to be a little more upscale than Short Pump. (Plus, the environment feels more sophisticated than Short Pump, which often reminds me of a theme park). I think marketing Stony Point as THE upscale shopping destination would be a smart move. Attracting a small Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales or any boutique stores with high name recognition would give Stony Point an edge. When it comes to targeting wealthy consumers, "build it and they will come" definitely applies. But first, they need to prove that they can produce the sales!

First of all, a very warm welcome to you, jbjust.

Secondly, Stevenrocks knows whereof he speaks and I trust his judgement implicitly.

Thirdly, I'm sorry for spreading unsubstantiated rumors from unidentified clerks at SAKS. It's a beautiful store and Richmond is very fortunate to have it. To counteract the negative, I overheard a woman visiting from Raleigh say that the Richmond store was much nicer than the one in her hometown.

I, too, think Stony Point Fashion Park is Richmond's most attractive shopping option, but where are press reports promoting it? Could it be RTD disinterest and cutbacks, or failure of SPFP's PR?

Edited by burt

First of all, a very warm welcome to you, jbjust.

Secondly, Stevenrocks knows whereof he speaks and I trust his judgement implicitly.

Thirdly, I'm sorry for spreading unsubstantiated rumors from unidentified clerks at SAKS. It's a beautiful store and Richmond is very fortunate to have it. To counteract the negative, I overheard a woman visiting from Raleigh say that the Richmond store was much nicer than the one in her hometown.

I, too, think Stony Point Fashion Park is Richmond's most attractive shopping option, but where are press reports promoting it? Could it be RTD disinterest and cutbacks, or failure of SPFP's PR?

These days I'd be more inclined to believe that the lack of press is due to the RTD. I do find it strange though that on Saturday's Sak's closes at 6pm, but apparently they've always done that... Seems to me like they are missing out on potential shoppers going to and from dinner.