Retail in Richmond

vdogg

haha I hope Taubman is listening to us! The demographics nearby are exceptional as well.... Windsor Farms and River Road area, not to mention the growing wealth in Midlothian. Plus, stores like that are more destinations, and can draw people from smaller markets as well.

Oh yes! All the little spoiled brats!

I remember! I don't count anything west of the Belt Line as Richmond anymore.

But it would help is Saks had commercials... wouldn't hurt.

you know it seems like Richmond has the worst marketing out of many cities because I can think of lots that could be done for lots of businesses one of the strong reasons why stuff comes and goes here in richmond is due to awful marketing. Look at the R-Braves and the Colisuem they have got to have some of the worst Marketing people i've ever seen hardly any promotions no commercials also If I was the r-braves I would think of expanding venues like plan an R-Braves Museum like what they have at the A-Braves Turner Field. Also I think the Colisuem could do a better job with marketing. It seems like bad marketing is known here in Richmond I just can't beleive to how many times i've heard about bad marketing and alot of it is pretty obvious when you here about businesses that aren't doing their best.

I hat to start talking about Saks and Stony Point again, but since I was gone, you guys brught up a lot of interesting points and I felt like I should comment.

SAKS NATIONAL STRATEGY - For the past several years, Saks has attempted to shift its customer base to a younger demographic. The Richmond store was one of the first opened during this marketing push, and bears many of its merchandisng hallmarks. Though the new, edgier Saks brought younger customers in, it alienated Saks' key customers, and starting this fall, Saks is going to revisit some conservative apparel lines. Expect to see some more traditional merchandise at Saks Stony Point, though I wouldn't bet the farm on any of it being affordable.

Side note: Saks and Neiman Marcus traditionally close early on Saturdays. Even at Tysons Cornerand King of Prussia.

THE STONY POINT STIGMA - Stores like Louis Vuitton, Coach, Movado, and Hugo Boss cast a huge and pricey shadow over Stony Point. It truly is THE fashion destination of the region, but the fact that it is so high-end masks the fact that there are plenty of run-of-the-mall stores there as well. They need to fire whoever's doing their marketing and hire somebody who can play up both the high-fashion aspect and the family-friendly attributes. Taubman also needs figure out how to keep Regency in the mix with Stony Point. Combined as a single asset, they overpower Short Pump in square footage and eqal it in sales. That's not exactly the sign of a dying enterprise.

RICHMOND ROCKS - If there's such at thing as a city that underplays its power, it's Richmond. Granted it's not my favorite city, or one that I visit often, but it's always a treat when I go because the city has so much to offer to both residents and visitors. I think forums like this are great to get the word out, but there needs to be a greater marketing push on a regional and national level to let people know there's more to Richmond than a couple interstates and some Civil War statues.

Edited by StevenRocks

yes it opened a few months ago... (kind of ironic name for a store in suburbia :), but anyways) in fact I was in there just last night... the g/f loves that place.

It's behind Cheesecake Factory and across from Orvis, Red Door Spa, and West Elm.

West Elm is a cool store. I visited my first one in Tysons a couple of weeks ago. Kinda pricey though.

Nice sites. I like the furnature at Pottery Barn ( I was expecting lots and lots of pottery) and if I bought anything from there... it'll be covered in plastic and no one would be allowed to use it because furnature should not cost that much!