Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Steve, why do you suppose Trader Joe has not set up shop anywhere in Metro Richmond. Is it the Ukrop's competition with their Joe's Market?

Seems to me they (TJ) would be a good fit for the Slip/Bottom/Tobacco Row area.

It is a wonder. I think it's a distribution thing. They have to build up the infrastructure some to effieciently serve the market.

It is a wonder. I think it's a distribution thing. They have to build up the infrastructure some to effieciently serve the market.

Trader Joe's intended to open a store several years ago in the old Rite Aid on Libbie. They had a verbal agreement on the building, only to see it swiped out from underneath by Ukrops. A few months later, Joe's Market opened in that same space.

I asked managers at the Springfield & Newport News TJs if a Richmond store was in the offing. Both answered with a resounding "NO." The Springfield manager suggested that TJs wasn't particularly welcome in Richmond. Apparently the prospect of Richmonders being able to buy inexpensive, healthy foods from "outsiders" with center-left politics doesn't sit too well with Jim & Bobby, and since they're the self-appointed moral conscience of Richmond...

I'd be curious to hear both sides of the story.........

Also, I thought it was interesting that the majority of monetary contributions the Ukrop family makes to political campaigns is to democratic candidates:

Ukrop political contributions

(click on a name, then click on the year 2006 and select "all years"...).

Perhaps they only dislike "outsiders" that are left of center :P

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Well Kroger bought Hannaford which bought Farm Fresh and The Grocery Store, if I can remember, right? And wasn't Farm Fresh, Pantry Pride? Safeway, A&P, and Giant went poof! And Winn-Dixie's an endangered species. Food Lion seems to be going strong.

Edited by Cadeho

Well Kroger bought Hannaford which bought Farm Fresh and The Grocery Store, if I can remember, right? And wasn't Farm Fresh, Pantry Pride? Safeway, A&P, and Giant went poof! And Winn-Dixie's an endangered species. Food Lion seems to be going strong.

Actually, Food Lion bought Hannaford, but had to offload their stores in Richmond & Tidewater due to having too much market share (VA was the only market where Food Lion & Hannaford territories had any significant overlap). Kroger ended up buying them from Food Lion, though Johnny Johnson raised almighty hell that he should have been allowed to buy them instead.

I'd be curious to hear both sides of the story.........

Also, I thought it was interesting that the majority of monetary contributions the Ukrop family makes to political campaigns is to democratic candidates:

Ukrop political contributions

(click on a name, then click on the year 2006 and select "all years"...).

Perhaps they only dislike "outsiders" that are left of center :P

It's a mistake to assume "Democrat" = "left of center" though. Tim Kaine & Doug Wilder (the two most prominent Democrats supported by the Ukrop family) aren't significantly (if at all) left of center.

TJs is an organization that tends to be very supportive of liberal causes, especially gay rights. I imagine that alone makes Jim squirm just a little bit.

The Grocery Store was a division of Farm Fresh, like Rack N Sack. Winn-Dixie's nowhere close by anymore. Pantry Pride and Giant were before my time in Richmond. I do remember Safeway, A&P (Super Fresh, Farmer Crack, er Jack)

I could have sworn Johnny Johnson owned Rack & Sack, aside from his Community Pride venture...

well, if I'm not mistaken, I think all of the Community Pride stores have closed, and Supervalu took over his "The Market" because he owed them soooo much money. It's still The Market, but it's run kind of like one of their Farm Fresh stores inside.

Does he still have another operation which is still successful?

I could have sworn Johnny Johnson owned Rack & Sack, aside from his Community Pride venture...

He did eventually buy the Richmond-area Rack & Sack stores, which probably proved his undoing.

well, if I'm not mistaken, I think all of the Community Pride stores have closed, and Supervalu took over his "The Market" because he owed them soooo much money. It's still The Market, but it's run kind of like one of their Farm Fresh stores inside.

Does he still have another operation which is still successful?

You are correct (and don't even get me started on what a waste of space The Market is. I still do my shopping elsewhere, only going there if absolutely necessary). Last I heard, Johnson was doing real estate or insurance or something like that.

By the end he had about 4 stores.

The one on Chamberlayne burned after being struck by lightning.

The store on Mechanicsville near me was taken over by a Food Rite and the name is Community Super Market... we got a flyer in the mail yesterday. Food Rite I believe also runs Food Circus on Creighton Rd.

I think there was a Southside store too.

At one time I think he had 8 stores not including the Rack-n-Sack stores. The Rack-n-Sack in Mechanicsville would fool everyone. It was still open yet had no cars in the parking lot and no shoppers! But the shelves were still stocked. It also operated after Johnny closed his stores but sometime last year it finally closed and was vacant the last time I drove by.

By the end he had about 4 stores.

The one on Chamberlayne burned after being struck by lightning.

The store on Mechanicsville near me was taken over by a Food Rite and the name is Community Super Market... we got a flyer in the mail yesterday. Food Rite I believe also runs Food Circus on Creighton Rd.

I think there was a Southside store too.

There was one on 25th Street as well. It's operating as Sunny Supermarket and I understand it's comparable in price & selection to the old Community Pride.

Welcome to the 3rd (or 4th) FINAL Haynes weekend at its Chippenham location!

Then how about this? Why is Kentucky Frid Chicken using "Sweet Home Alabama" in their commercials?

And that cheesecake bistro at Stoney Point uses a version of "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" ... I don't see the connection between the products and the songs... I guess people hadn't noticed and business is still good.

Also, that Popeyes on Laburnam must be killing the KFC and Hardee's nearby. I have never seen a fast food restaurant with a line in it and a line around it at all hours of the day! The last time I was there I waited 20 minutes and last night it was 30!

Edited by Cadeho

Who knows with Haynes.... I grew up on the "Whatever you do, don't bring money! Not a penny! Not a nickel! Pay nothing till 2042!" commercials... if they are closing the doors for good, this is the end of an era :lol:

Today, I just got into Richmond and was craving some ukrop's chicken (and shrimp scampi wrap from the grill)... the leg I had was probably one of the best I've ever had. It had no flaws! mmmmmm :lol: sorry but I just had to mention it!

Wow Cadeho I never knew that that popeyes has been doing so well. I can't seem to find any on my side of town Cadeho is this the only popeyes in town.

There are only 2! There's one on Chamberlayne too and for about 5 years that was the only one. There had been one on Laburnam near Williamsburg Rd. It closed a few years ago. That's recently been demolished for a Walgreens.

The way they act, it seems like the only one! Maybe they don't feel safe at the Chamberlayne one?