Norfolk Pictures

willy

oddly enough, that is the best angle for downtown Portsmouth. It makes it look like a denser city from that point. Also the Trader stands out much more than I was expecting it too. I have kind of gotten use to a city that has a much larger downtown than Norfolk, that I sometimes forget that Norfolk has alot of room still to grow and a long way still to go before it can really become a larger player in the city market of this country.

oddly enough, that is the best angle for downtown Portsmouth. It makes it look like a denser city from that point. Also the Trader stands out much more than I was expecting it too. I have kind of gotten use to a city that has a much larger downtown than Norfolk, that I sometimes forget that Norfolk has alot of room still to grow and a long way still to go before it can really become a larger player in the city market of this country.

That is somewhat true Norfolk's Downtown has room to grow eastward. I disagree with the idea that Norfolk has a long way to go before it is considered part of the major league of cities. I think that Norfolk needs to do a better marketing job especially on the east coast. How many places have the largest Naval Base in the World, the second busiest port on the east coast, and second to none attractions both within the city and nearby. It is way past time for Norfolk to take its rightful place among America's top tier cities.

Edited by skylinefan

The Harbor Heights mixed use building will soon start to appear on the left side of this angle.

I wonder if Granby Tower will appear even further left of will rise above Harbor Heights from this angle?

I can't see AT&T from that angle, so you most likely won't see Granby either.

I can't see AT&T from that angle, so you most likely won't see Granby either.

you could in a wide shot. or simply stitch tow photos together, very easy to imagine. Although you do bring up a good point, Granby will really feel far from the rest of downtown, which is both good and bad. Bad cause it would feel like it was out on its own, good cause it would make you realize how big downtown really was.

I wonder if there would be a good angle of downtown somewhere close to the Chrylser Museum that would bring Granby at the front of the picture with downtown as a back drop.

This shot also illustrates what I have always thought was a questionable decision to isolate the Dominion Tower on the waterfront side of Waterside Drive, away from the rest of the business district. Here it sticks out to the right all by itself.

Also another reason why I support the tearing down of the Sheraton and turning that area into a sort of WFC in NYC idea. But then again, that might be a bad idea too, maybe not any more, but if it happened back in the 90's it would of had the same effect that the RenCenter had in Detroit. But nowadays, something better needs to happen there, too much wasted land on that old hotel.

Actually I was just looking at the zoning map for norfolk, and while it is kind of confusing the way it is laid out, I did take from it that where the Sheraton is now could house a 270 ft building on the east side of the lot and a 160ft building on the west side, with a 50 ft building connecting the two. That would be a positive change to that parcel.

Edited by urbanlife

you could in a wide shot. or simply stitch tow photos together, very easy to imagine. Although you do bring up a good point, Granby will really feel far from the rest of downtown, which is both good and bad. Bad cause it would feel like it was out on its own, good cause it would make you realize how big downtown really was.

I wonder if there would be a good angle of downtown somewhere close to the Chrylser Museum that would bring Granby at the front of the picture with downtown as a back drop.

Also another reason why I support the tearing down of the Sheraton and turning that area into a sort of WFC in NYC idea. But then again, that might be a bad idea too, maybe not any more, but if it happened back in the 90's it would of had the same effect that the RenCenter had in Detroit. But nowadays, something better needs to happen there, too much wasted land on that old hotel.

Actually I was just looking at the zoning map for norfolk, and while it is kind of confusing the way it is laid out, I did take from it that where the Sheraton is now could house a 270 ft building on the east side of the lot and a 160ft building on the west side, with a 50 ft building connecting the two. That would be a positive change to that parcel.

I say rip down the sheraton and make it green space. It could be another towne point park or something. Lets start moving the bigger buildings inland and not have such a coast heavy downtown with a lack of intercity height.

• 2 weeks later...