GSP International

gvillenative

The automated shuttle project was not approved. Not sure what that means for the future of it. There will be a P&C story later this week on it so hopefully we will hear more info then on whether it’s either just on hold or completely dead. 

Edited by gman430

8 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Were they trying to get a grant for this and the grant was just denied?

They were hoping the DOT would finance part of the project through a grant but that never happened. Construction costs increasing also didn’t help matters. 

42 minutes ago, clemsonfan said:

I'd be thrilled if this was going away. Hopefully this is the last echoes of us having to humor Fred Payne's obsessive science fiction fantasies.

London Heathrow terminal 5 begs to differ:

https://www.ultraglobalprt.com/wheres-it-used/heathrow-t5/

I personally hope it still gets built. 

Edited by gman430

There's certainly a "coolness" factor for something like that, and it would probably seem to have been a very proactive but unnecessary risk that paid off, if we were looking back at it years from now. I'm just not sure we can convince the powers that be to buy into something like this for GSP at this stage of the game. Yes we're growing but we're not Heathrow.

20 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

There's certainly a "coolness" factor for something like that, and it would probably seem to have been a very proactive but unnecessary risk that paid off, if we were looking back at it years from now. I'm just not sure we can convince the powers that be to buy into something like this for GSP at this stage of the game. Yes we're growing but we're not Heathrow.

But it would so cool. It would be like Dubai-esque. :D Hey…they can spend millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars ($60 million total) for a new beaver gas station in Anderson. Why not this? 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Recap of all of the planned increases/changes over the next few months. Be aware a lot of these increases if not all of them are seasonal and will drop back off come August and September: 

Southwest:

ATL Sunday-Friday increasing from two times a day to three times a day starting March 7th. Saturdays increasing once a day to twice a day starting April 13th.

DEN seasonal service on Saturdays and Sundays once a day starts June 8th. 

BWI on Sundays increasing from once a day to twice a day starting March 10th. Every other day remains once a day.

HOU remains the same at once a day Saturdays and Sundays. 

American:

DFW increasing from three times a day to four times a day seven days a week starting June 5th. Two mainlines and one regional increasing to two mainlines and two regionals. 

MIA increasing from one regional flight a day to two regional flights a day seven days a week starting April 4th. 

CLT will be having two of its daily regional flights increasing to mainline seven days a week starting April 5th.

PHL increasing from two regional flights a day to three regional flights a day seven days a week starting April 4th. 

DCA remains the same with two flights a day on the weekend and three flights a day Monday-Friday all on regional aircraft

LGA Saturday service returns with once a day on June 8th. Sunday-Friday remains the same at twice a day. All on regional aircraft. 

ORD increases from one regional flight a day to two regional flights a day seven days a week starting May 6th. 

Delta:

ATL increasing from seven flights a day to eight flights a day Sunday-Friday starting June 7th. Saturdays increasing from six flights a day to seven flights a day starting June 8th. All flights at the same time will be upgraded to mainline 737-900 aircraft. 

LGA increasing from three times a day to four times a day Monday-Friday starting June 7th while Saturday increases from once a day to twice a day starting June 8th. Sunday remains at three times a day. All flights on regional aircraft. 

DTW once a day increases from regional to mainline Monday-Saturday starting March 11th. No DTW flights on Sundays. Once a day increases to twice a day Sunday-Friday (Sunday flights return) with a regional flight added and mainline flight remaining on April 9th. Saturday remains once a day with a mainline flight. 

United:

ORD changes from one mainline flight and one regional flight seven days a week to three regional flights seven days a week starting March 31st. Monday, Thursday, and Friday increase to one mainline flight and two regional flights a day starting May 23rd. Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday switch from three regional flights a day to one mainline flight and one regional flight a day starting May 25th. 

IAH increasing from one mainline flight a day to one mainline flight and one regional flight a day seven days a week starting May 23rd. 

EWR decreases from three times a day to twice a day seven days a week starting March 7th. Increases back to three times a day seven days a week starting March 31st . All flights on regional aircraft. 

DEN remains once a day seven days a week with all flights on a regional aircraft. 

Breeze: 

LAX seasonal service twice a week and once a day starts on May 24th. 

PVD year round service twice a week (three during holidays) and once a day starts May 3rd.

BDL seasonal service twice a week and once a day starts May 24th. 

MCO seasonal service twice a week and once a day starts May 24th. 

TPA year round service twice a week (three during holidays) and once a day starts May 10th. 

Avelo:

HVN increasing from a twice a week and once a day to four times a week and once a day starting May 2nd. 

ROC service twice a week and once a day starting May 9th. 

MHT service twice a week and once a day starting May 10th. 

Allegiant: 

SFB increases from two times a week once a day to three times a week once a day starting June 23rd. 

PIE  increases from two times a week once a day to three times a week once a day starting June 17th.

FLL increases from two times a week once a day to three times a week once a day starting June 17th.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And so it begins. Sold out flights for Friday:

All three DFW-GSP flights with AA 

ORD-GSP flight with AA

Two of the three DCA-GSP flights with AA

Three of the nine CLT-GSP flights with AA

Three of the seven ATL-GSP flights with DL

One of the two EWR-GSP flights with UA 

One of the two ORD-GSP flights with UA 

Lots of other flights especially ATL with DL and CLT with AA 95%+ full also. 

• Like 3

On 3/6/2024 at 5:31 AM, gman430 said:

MIA increasing from one regional flight a day to two regional flights a day seven days a week starting April 4th. 

Is this information somewhere online on what dates it runs through? I havent searched every date, but I believe this one stops June 4th. 

31 minutes ago, Gville2012 said:

Is this information somewhere online on what dates it runs through? I havent searched every date, but I believe this one stops June 4th. 

Correct. It’s a seasonal increase. Goes back to once a day starting June 5th. GSP-DFW goes from three times a day to four times a day starting June 5th to make up for the loss. 

Edited by gman430

Correction: currently there is no outbound DTW flight with Delta on Sundays but there is an inbound one which is really weird. I guess it stays overnight. Not sure where it flies to in the mornings though as it’s a mainline Airbus. :dontknow: 

Edited by gman430

“LGA increasing from three times a day to four times a day Monday-Friday starting June 7th while Saturday increases from once a day to twice a day starting June 8th. Sunday remains at three times a day. All flights on regional aircraft.”

The planned increase for GSP-LGA posted above with Delta in June has been cancelled. However, GSP-DTW with Delta will now be increasing from twice daily to three times daily starting June 7th Sunday-Friday so it’s a trade off. Saturday will be twice a day. 

Edited by gman430

LOL I have to say, I'm impressed you've been holding on to that for more than a year. 

Every city has its problems. But not every city has certain national media outlets OBSESSED with its problems. It's a little creepy, but flattering, I guess? I still love Greenville, but would make the same move again 100 times out of 100. Portland is an amazing city and I won't even begin to count the innumerable reasons why it's better.

And since this is the airport thread, I feel I like I should mention that our gorgeous new $2 billion airport renovation is about to open.

9 hours ago, StrangeCock said:

LOL I have to say, I'm impressed you've been holding on to that for more than a year. 

Every city has its problems. But not every city has certain national media outlets OBSESSED with its problems. It's a little creepy, but flattering, I guess? I still love Greenville, but would make the same move again 100 times out of 100. Portland is an amazing city and I won't even begin to count the innumerable reasons why it's better.

And since this is the airport thread, I feel I like I should mention that our gorgeous new $2 billion airport renovation is about to open.

I don't know anything about living in Portland, but I've stayed in Timberline Lodge and skied on the first day of summer on Mt. Hood. An absolutely beautiful place. And volcanoes are cool (until they erupt, of course).

On 3/13/2024 at 10:13 AM, NewlyUpstate said:

GSP won a ton of awards from ACI again this year.

• Best NA Airport servicing 2-5million passengers annually
  • Airport with the most dedicated staff
  • Easiest Airport Journey
  • Most Enjoyable Airport
  • Cleanest Airport

https://aci.aero/programs-and-services/asq/asq-awards-and-recognition/

https://gsabusiness.com/this-south-carolina-airport-named-best-small-airport-in-north-america/

Compare this to the rave reviews CLT is getting: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/americanairlines/comments/1bkiomg/worst_airport_in_america/?utm_source=embedv2&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_content=action_bar&embed_host_url=https://forum.urbanplanet.org/index.php

• Like 2

187,201 passengers for February 2024 which is an all time record high for the month. The previous high was February 2020 with 182,882 passengers. 17.40% higher than February 2023 also which had 159,460 passengers. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

GSP-MIA with AA is now twice a day seven days a week. It was previously once a day.

Two of the daily GSP-CLT flights with AA will be increased to mainline from regional also starting this Friday seven days a week. No decrease in the number of flights per day either. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

Additional daily flight for GSP-DTW with DL Sunday-Friday starts this upcoming Tuesday April 9th. Increasing from one mainline to one mainline and one regional.

GSP-PHL with AA being increased from twice a day to three times a day starting tomorrow seven days a week. Going from two regional flights a day to three regional flights a day.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Welp…with the good news always comes the bad. ATL with Southwest dropping from three times a day (twice on Saturdays) to once a day everyday starting June 4th. Ouch. However, BWI goes from once a day to twice a day everyday starting also on June 4th except for Sundays which is already twice a day. No changes to DEN or HOU. 

Edited by gman430