Richmond Developments

Cotuit

yea I'm really excited about the bowtie development as well. It's a great location for everything they want to do. It has multi-family housing and its being called a large-scale mixed use project. Hopefully it will be a high-rise. It would be a great step in the right direction for that immediate area because there are plenty of surface lots begging for development around there (Can you imagine high rises going up across the street from the Jefferson :)) I'd love to see highrises march from the CBD up into Midtown, connecting the highrise condos and apartments around Monroe Park with the office towers below.

Rus, it would be nice to have a big tower downtown, bit I like Richmond's skyline. It's dense and in scale.

So if we don't reclaim the tallest title, it's OK. Norfolk/Virginia Beach deserves it, though I have to say, the Westin is no thing of beauty IMO. Really like Granby Tower, however. :)

I'm just playing with you guys. Our problem here is that we could have the density of Richmond if not more but we have 7 cities fighting for the CBD for the area so it hampers us from that density but the way Norfolk is going we won't be much further behind Richmond. There is so much going on in Norfolk its crazy but i'm playing around cuz coupe came in our thread and started messing with us so I had to play back. Its good day that all of this is happening in the entire state and just maybe people will loose the stereo type that is on this state

YEa to me I think the Westin is ugly burt your right Granby is pretty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know why they messed up a good thing. The rendering of the Westin just prior to this one was awesome. I don't know why they changed it to something so bland. It does have one thing going for it, it's tall. If you live in such a vertically challenged place as Va. Beach, a tall building is a lot to look forward too :lol: . That's regardless of its design.

hey looks like there is another new condo conversion project going on in the city. In the bottom? nope....it's actually out near the Diamond.

"Old foundry is hot again

Former Southern Stove Works site to be converted into loft apartments

BY CAROL HAZARD

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Southern Stove Works is stamped across one of three buildings that will be turned into apartments at the corner of Hermitage and Leigh streets near the Diamond...........Southern Stove Works Lofts will have 190 one-, two- and three-bedrooms apartments.

The first tenants are expected to move in next summer, said project manager Claes Tholand.

Apartments will range from 850 square feet to 1,500 square feet each. Rents will be from $800 to $900 for one-bedroom apartments and $1,200 to $1,500 for two- and three-bedroom apartments. Across the street are the fully leased Todd Lofts apartments, also in a renovated historic building.........

article

The building sounds really awesome from the article.

Incredible! When is all this conversion going to tank? I hope never. This new refitting at Hermitage and Leigh sounds quite nice. And did you note that the Todd project is fully leased? I remember when construction was going on there, I thought to myself "no body would want to live in this industrial area" Boy, was I wrong! :)

good news! MorganR on RCW reports that the American Flag is once again flying proudly atop the Central National Bank Tower :)

I cannot wait till its fully restored and shining like new! Same thing goes for the Hotel John Marshall AKA Residences at John Marshall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I read about the flag pole. Wonder why that young man never contributes here? I like reading his entries on RCW. Another person who I wish would visit us is Jason.

So, that's one flag-pole success story. Now somebody go down to foot of 5th street and adorn those empty poles!! :rolleyes:

Edited by burt

Rus, it would be nice to have a big tower downtown, bit I like Richmond's skyline.  It's dense and in scale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Bigger doesn't always necessarily mean better anyway. Look at some of the biggest cities in the world such as London, Paris, or DC. Their cities don't thrive on monster-sized high-rises.

Also, between HR and Richmond, I don't think that either will significantly surpass the other. I think development is happening at a pretty equal pace in both cities.

that's a good point...I was thinking about making one but thought I should talk to Vdogg about it. It would be a MASSIVE undertaking lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it would and it would be changing as projects come on the books. Vdogg did ours over in the Hampton Roads forum and it does help a lot to keep tabs on what is going on.

I guess I should start making a list!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's quite a cumbersome process Coupe but it will only enhance your forum once complete. It may also help to break it down into sections. Either do something like DT Richmond and then each respective suburban city with "significant urban development" planned or currently in place. Or maybe break it down into the various richmond districts such as shockhoe bottom, etc. It took me about 2 weeks to compile the list (contrary to popular belief i do have a daytime job :rofl: ). Even though I had most of the info locked away in different threads I still needed to obtain up to date info, construction photos, links, etc. Also one thing that I think you should consider is adding a link to each projects discussion thread next to the listed project. This will keep people from cluttering up your listing with comments. Just let me know if you need any help and I'll be glad to assist. :)