Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Well heres the news on the Huge Manchester Project its going to be a huge development full of Neighborhoods Condo Towers (Which will be as tall as 12 floors tall) and shops. Not sure about Office yet but they said they could break ground on this project in the next 2 months.Plus the condo towers will start within the next 6 months. I think we might be visioning a Manchester Skyline this will be great we could have second metro of Twin Cities which Minneapolis-St.Paul is the first. But man this is nice can't wait to see renderings if anyone finds any let me know.

wow how do I break news before the news does....lol this is great news!!! I hope the paper has more details ! gotta go to bed soon though, gotta be at work at 6 :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bet you didn't sleep a wink, coupe, thinking about all the new city developments.

Another reason for this entry is that I can't bear to see a lack of comments under today's dateline. :rofl:

Edited by burt

haha Burt you know me too well!! I layed there thinking and couldnt go to sleep. Last time I looked at the clock it was 1:30 and I know I was up for much longer. Getting up was TOUGH this morning :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I find myself in the same situation. Its hard to sleep when so much is going on. :rofl:

lol seriously, it's hard to sleep after finding out that 35 city blocks will be redeveloped and there will be 4 12 story condos in Manchester (across the river). ..... I was so excited but I was like damn I NEED to go to sleep :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol..... I wonder if the stereotypes of this state will disappear after all of these major developments occur. Its happening from the coast to central to northern to western. I hate the stereotypes that people assume about us as a state.

Well, we like to think it's happening only to us here in Virginia.  But, in reality, many metropolitan areas all over the country are booming.  When we stop to think about it, maybe we're just keeping up with the Jonses! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know its happening everywhere but i just want to shed that stereotype from this state.

And another thing, Russ. There may be sterotypical images of Virginia, but when you're out of state and mention that you're from Virginia, eyebrows usually rise in admiration. The Old Dominion commands a lot of respect across the World.

And for the first time in ages, come 2007, we (the mother state of Presidents - eight SO FAR) may have two native sons running for the top job. :)

Edited by burt

Hey how does a downtown Mall sound I think it would be a great idea. Philadelphias two most famous towers are a bunch of shops its kinda built like a mall its called one & two Liberty Place. I'm going up to philadelphia in a few weeks. I know i'll be taking alot of pictures of downtown Philadelphia.

Heres something we can talk about I think that the Performing Arts Center Project is going to be done with I don't think anyone will ever come up with the money and plus I think that Piece of Land has better use than a performing arts center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK Joey. Generally, I've steered clear of this topic because it has received nothing but brickbats in the press of late as well as persistent vitriol from a cadre of detractors.

Today's announcement about the city stopping construction on the Carpenter Center may be the real kiss of death. As a strong supporter, I regret saying " throw in the towel" and suggest that VAPAF abandon its center city ambitions and search elsewhere for a site that requires no government funding. The Ethyl property perhaps, but more likely, Watkins Center or Short Pump Town Center might be financially viable alternatives. Failing that, I would advise the Foundation to cut its losses and dissolve itself. Leave the Carpenter Center just as it is and sell the hole in the ground that was Thalhimers. Surely there would be eager developers waiting to make bids.

If nothing is built, Richmond's "elite" can continuie their practice of traveling to Washington and/or New York to avail themselves of the top professionals. :(

What I don't understand is how they don't have the money....and what would they do with the money they've already spent? It's a great plan, I loved it. but where's the $$$? I'd hate to see this leave downtown. If they weren't so reliant on public funds it might have been different. Wilder's gonna ask the tough questions about public funds regardless of who you are. It's kind of sad the way this has been going lately. With all the positive development news, this is kind of the thorn in the side.

Joey, Richmond doesn't do that well with malls downtown:) They just tore down a mall on Broad a couple years ago (6th st Marketplace), and there was once one in Main Street Station when it was no longer used for trains. Both were massive failures. Also, I don't think our area can support that many more malls...

Yea wrldcoupe but i'm talking about something like Macarthur center in downtown Norfolk and plus usually why Malls don't do so well is because they don't advertise enough I think if you want something successful you have to advertise it and let people know its down their and I think you have to get big time chain stores like what you would see at Short Pump or Stony Point but only like the smaller stores not like the big department stores but I think places like Abercrombie and American Eagle or even Bannana Republic would do good but stores like that would be a big key to a mall in downtown.

What I don't understand is how they don't have the money....and what would they do with the money they've already spent? It's a great plan, I loved it. but where's the $$$? I'd hate to see this leave downtown. If they weren't so reliant on public funds it might have been different. Wilder's gonna ask the tough questions about public funds regardless of who you are. It's kind of sad the way this has been going lately. With all the positive development news, this is kind of the thorn in the side.

Joey, Richmond doesn't do that well with malls downtown:) They just tore down a mall on Broad a couple years ago (6th st Marketplace), and there was once one in Main Street Station when it was no longer used for trains. Both were massive failures. Also, I don't think our area can support that many more malls...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no major performing arts center that is not, in part, funded by its local governments unless a Watkins Center-type enterprise thinks one would be an asset. Here was a chance for revitalization of a city area not noted for its ambiance or facilities. The original wish by many board members was a shimmering riverside complex which could have easily raised necessary funds. Instead, plans switched to rebuilding a historic theatre, adding a music hall and sprucing up a long boarded-up Broad/Grace corridor. One would think the city's chief would welcome and encourage the project. Not so.

Having said that, my idea of building a tower on the Thalhimer property that would contain a concert hall on its ground floors might help in funding prospects, but it's probably so involved with covenants and non-profit regulations that it might not be feasible.

Edited by burt

Yea wrldcoupe but i'm talking about something like Macarthur center in downtown Norfolk and plus usually why Malls don't do so well is because they don't advertise enough I think if you want something successful you have to advertise it and let people know its down their and I think you have to get big time chain stores like what you would see at Short Pump or Stony Point but only like the smaller stores not like the big department stores but I think places like Abercrombie and American Eagle or even Bannana Republic would do good but stores like that would be a big key to a mall in downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is your period . button getting stuck again Joey? haha just messin.

I think a better idea (but one built on your idea) would be to help create a re-newed downtown shopping district along Grace St and parts of Broad. Instead of building a "Mall" persay, why not put all of these stores in the empty storefronts along Grace with condos above? We'd be creating what the suburban style malls can only imitate. In the coming months and years there will be a LOT more people in that vicinity and I think it couldn't hurt.

Think about it, you walk down from your condo and you're in the middle of a vibrant area with pedestrian traffic, and well-kept national stores in Grace St's old yet mostly elegant shop windows. If the National retailers weren't so wimpy, I bet it would become successful.

We already have this "mall" you're calling for man. There just aren't many stores yet.

What I'd really like to see somewhere, though I don't know where, would be a pedestrian area with this type of development. It would definitely have a European feel. When I'm in the Welsh Capital, Cardiff, I love going to their pedestrian district.

What I'd really like to see somewhere, though I don't know where, would be a pedestrian area with this type of development. It would definitely have a European feel. When I'm in the Welsh Capital, Cardiff, I love going to their pedestrian district.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel the same way... It would've been cool if Stony Point was "put downtown" per se. But, I feel that Manchester would probably be the best place to put any type of development that you talk about. There's lots of potential in that area that's yet to be realized and there is a lot of space available that still could be developed.

Is your period . button getting stuck again Joey? haha just messin.

I think a better idea (but one built on your idea) would be to help create a re-newed downtown shopping district along Grace St and parts of Broad. Instead of building a "Mall" persay, why not put all of these stores in the empty storefronts along Grace with condos above? We'd be creating what the suburban style malls can only imitate. In the coming months and years there will be a LOT more people in that vicinity and I think it couldn't hurt.

Think about it, you walk down from your condo and you're in the middle of a vibrant area with pedestrian traffic, and well-kept national stores in Grace St's old yet mostly elegant shop windows. If the National retailers weren't so wimpy, I bet it would become successful.

We already have this "mall" you're calling for man. There just aren't many stores yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you took note of the new performing arts centre paid for, largely, by Welsh taxpayers whilst you were in Cardiff.

Don't forget our Ship Shops as a potential and unique pedestrian area!

you're right burt..the ship shops would work and would definitely be unconventional to say the least! I guess for now the canal walk is/will be Richmond's pedestrian area once it develops more.

The last time I was there, the new performing arts centre, the Canolfan Mileniwm Cymru, was still under construction. It is a Massive, beautiful building overlooking Cardiff Bay.

DG%20Theatre.jpg

you're right burt..the ship shops would work and would definitely be unconventional to say the least! I guess for now the canal walk is/will be Richmond's pedestrian area once it develops more.

The last time I was there, the new performing arts centre, the Canolfan Mileniwm Cymru, was still under construction. It is a Massive, beautiful building overlooking Cardiff Bay.

DG%20Theatre.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too bad Richmond won't have one.