Harris Teeter

LOL... well if I came from a town that didn't have Harris Teeter and I was a student at UNCC, I'd want a better impression of HT than the University City location.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm really, really surprised that Lowes didn't take the Univ City Winn-Dixie...I know they have store 2-3 miles down in Harrisburg, but that would give them a nice entry inside 485.

I think Lowe's only has 1 (Davis Lake on Harris) inside 485.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really, really surprised that Lowes didn't take the Univ City Winn-Dixie...I know they have store 2-3 miles down in Harrisburg, but that would give them a nice entry inside 485.

I think Lowe's only has 1 (Davis Lake on Harris) inside 485.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm surprised Lowe's didn't take over *ANY* Winn-Dixies, for someone who's trying to move into the market there were some prime locations avail for them. But yes, surprised Back Creek Center and McMullen Places' WD stores remained unsold

Yet it has the best walk-in beer cooler. That is all the students need. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ironically, this may be funny that they focus their attention on their beer cooler at the University City location, but this is the main draw to that HT location, so why renovate the rest? Don't expect any renovations there anytime soon. That plaza has had some difficulties anyway.

As far as the University Winn Dixie's future, it seems that there would need to have been some big renovations for either HT or Lowes to have bid on that location. They weren't willing to spend that kind of money for predominantly college clientel.

Both those locations have things in common: UNCC

Students mainly buy beer, ramen noodles, and chips. So HT and Lowes would waste their investment in 500+ wines, organic produce, and gourmet baked bread.

Ironically, this may be funny that they focus their attention on their beer cooler at the University City location, but this is the main draw to that HT location, so why renovate the rest?  Don't expect any renovations there anytime soon.  That plaza has had some difficulties anyway.

As far as the University Winn Dixie's future, it seems that there would need to have been some big renovations for either HT or Lowes to have bid on that location.  They weren't willing to spend that kind of money for predominantly college clientel.

Both those locations have things in common: UNCC

Students mainly buy beer, ramen noodles, and chips.  So HT and Lowes would waste their investment in 500+ wines, organic produce, and gourmet baked bread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't drink, Ramen is sodium-laden and don't really eat chips. BUT then again, I am NOT the average college student haha. But I see your point

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone posted on a plaza-midwood board that the HT on Central Ave is supposed to be torn down and replaced with a new store next year. Anyone know if that is true?

I'm assuming this is the Harris Teeter at Plaza & Central and not at Eastland, correct?

Unrelated, but 2 things to note:

1) Kings Mountain Harris Teeter is closing, as mediamongrel correctly predicted

http://www.shelbystar.com/portal/ASP/article.asp?ID=18937

2) HT will open at Weddington Corners (Former Winn Dixie) as we already knew

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news...on/12856963.htm

I just don't understand why Publix hasn't entered the Charlotte market yet.......they are awesome stores, and have the best bakeries.......If Columbia can have 6 Publix locations im sure Charlotte can accomodate a few, especially now that Winn-Dixie is gone......and what about Piggly Wiggly? Not too high-end of a grocery store but why doesn't it exist in Charlotte? Where's the variety? Kroger come back to town for crying out loud......

they don't want to compete with Harris Teeter, Food Lion and Wal-mart in the Charlotte market i guess... i think Lowes Foods had balls to come into the market, but if you see where they're locating, it's all outside the outerbelt or around the outerbelt at least... the don't have any in-town stores. Bi-Lo has somewhat of a presence with 12 stores, but the first 3 grocers mentioned dominate.

I just don't understand why Publix hasn't entered the Charlotte market yet.......they are awesome stores, and have the best bakeries.......If Columbia can have 6 Publix locations im sure Charlotte can accomodate a few, especially now that Winn-Dixie is gone......and what about Piggly Wiggly? Not too high-end of a grocery store but why doesn't it exist in Charlotte? Where's the variety? Kroger come back to town for crying out loud......

As for Publix, I doubt it'll be coming to Charlotte soon, if ever. The market segment it seeks is thoroughly dominated by Harris Teeter here, and will probably continue to be for years to come. Unless it can come into an area and grab a tremendous share of some specific market segment, a chain like Publix is just not going to bother. Margins are too thin and competition is too keen in the grocery industry. Publix was able to expand in Columbia because there was something of a void to be filled there.

Ditto for Kroger, which seems to be expanding only in areas where it is already strong. Columbia seems not to be one of these areas BTW, which explains a lot of the success of Publix there.

Piggly Wiggly won't be coming here either. While one of its franchisees has managed some success in one or two urban markets in SC, it's really not much of a player. Piggly Wiggly is a franchise rather than a chain, and it exists nationwide mostly as a way to allow small-town independent stores to have a "chain" identity and some group purchasing power.

Supermarket chains are a little different from some other retailers due to the tight margins and perishable goods sold. They can't usually just add a store or two in an area as a test, especially if that area isn't close to their existing distribution network. They need lots of volume to justify investing in stores, advertising, etc.

I predict that, rather than more, we'll be seeing much less variety and competition in the grocery industry in coming years. Most areas will probably wind up with one (or maybe two) middle to high-end chains, with Wal-Mart and maybe one other chain covering much of the low end. Any "variety" will be in the form of ethnic stores and other "new" market segments.

I'm assuming this is the Harris Teeter at Plaza & Central and not at Eastland, correct?

Unrelated, but 2 things to note:

1) Kings Mountain Harris Teeter is closing, as mediamongrel correctly predicted

http://www.shelbystar.com/portal/ASP/article.asp?ID=18937

2) HT will open at Weddington Corners (Former Winn Dixie) as we already knew

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news...on/12856963.htm

Greetings, haven't frequented this board since the summer. May have given out a bit too much insider info. on the Kings Mountain loc. ;) In any case, that store is history...

More worrysome for HT is Wal-Mart's press release that they will be the #1 grocery retailer in Charlotte by the fall of 2007. With eight, yes EIGHT proposed locations in the south Charlotte area, this is definitely a possibility. By current projections, HT would have to decrease prices by either 15-20% across the board (rough estimate) or be forced to reduce staff. Gee, I wonder which one they will choose? Well, being owned by a major corporation (Ruddick) the latter seems more probable. Don't count on HT lowering their prices to compete with Wal Mart, but there may only be one or two clerks staffing the main store departments in the future. i.e. dairy, meat, produce, deli, wine. HT will never lower their prices because in plain words they can't afford to. I do see Wal Mart's projection of 2 years a little liberal, however, in my opinion, 4-5 years might prove to be the turning ground for Charlotte area grocers, and with Lowes Foods trying to enter the market at this time, they may also get devoured by Wal Mart. It is a bit depressing to see south Charlotte dotted with Wal Marts in 2009, but if that's what happens, then so be it. The taxes are so out of control in Mecklenburg, that I am more surprised that HT hasn't considered moving their corporate offices into Union County. Again, farewell to Kings Mountain, and yes the tearing down of the Central Avenue store #201 will soon begin. It will then be replaced with a more modern store (still apparently with a giant lack of parking space though). Stores most likely still on the closing roster include Monroe, NC & Eastland Mall.

Mongrel!! You're Back! Got any info on where these future Wal-Mart, Lowes Foods and HT locations will be?? :)

Dare I mention the Charlotte Observer? Well, they did have an article a few weeks back with these locations, however on the map there weren't many streets listed, so the area was quite general. Although if you draw a line from 521 east to Independence, and go 2-3 miles south of that line, that would be a pretty good bet.

I updated this map to clarify a few things

The grocers that are on here are all open except for the ones noted as under construction.. and i took out the "proposed" stores since they aren't being built yet i didn't want the map to be misleading. And again, it's the grocery stores not including Wal-Mart, Target etc...

grocerysouth3gw.jpg

More worrysome for HT is Wal-Mart's press release that they will be the #1 grocery retailer in Charlotte by the fall of 2007. With eight, yes EIGHT proposed locations in the south Charlotte area, this is definitely a possibility.

Would you happen to know whether all eight are to be Wal-Mart Supercenters or if they're planning to introduce the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets grocery-only format here?

Just curious...

Would you happen to know whether all eight are to be Wal-Mart Supercenters or if they're planning to introduce the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets grocery-only format here?

Just curious...

Not sure on that...I am assuming they will all be Supercenters. The old Wal Mart format can still be seen at the Albemarle Rd. location, Wendover Rd. location, Arboretum location...and a few more, though all of the others that have opened in the past year or two have been Supercenters.

I updated this map to clarify a few things

The grocers that are on here are all open except for the ones noted as under construction.. and i took out the "proposed" stores since they aren't being built yet i didn't want the map to be misleading. And again, it's the grocery stores not including Wal-Mart, Target etc...

We also have a few more 'earth friendly' grocery stores on the South side. Earth Fare, the Fresh Market; there are probably a few others.

Personally I look at a Wal-mart Grocery Store like a Food Lion, you wouldn't see me there.

We also have a few more 'earth friendly' grocery stores on the South side. Earth Fare, the Fresh Market; there are probably a few others.

Personally I look at a Wal-mart Grocery Store like a Food Lion, you wouldn't see me there.

Ditto that. I don't see why anyone would shop at walmart for groceries anyway. If these groceries were to be stand-alone stores they would be extremely deficient in quality and selection. Most people say it's because of the convenience but I for one don't normally mix my grocery-shopping with my "other"-shopping.

I suppose, I would grudgingly... belatedly... admit I'd shop at Wal-Mart over Food Lion. At least the Wal-Marts are generally newer while Food Lion has a lot of tired old stores.

But I will always hate Wal-Mart as long as they post "watchers" at the doors.

Archived