Harris Teeter

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next three Harris Teeters slated to close are, Kings Mountain, Eastland Mall, and Monroe. Not neccessarily in that order and no specific dates can be given. (These are based on dwindling sales and stores which are not set for remodel)

As far as Monroe goes, grocery stores aren't exactly fighting to get in...however, from the Monroe Mall north towards 485 there is still a chance for re-development, albeit a small chance. Forget about from Monroe Mall south...

There is an expressway bypass planned for the very distant future, and when people can just as easily "skip the sights" of Monroe while driving to Wilmington, they probably will.

I figure the Super Wal Mart and a couple Food Lions should supply Monroe fairly well. It's not exactly a booming area for real estate. West of the city limits towards Sun Valley and Weddington is a different story though.

This is soooooooo off the subject but I must say it.

I'm in Atlanta and I really miss Harris Teeter. They were my favorite store after Whole Foods. I don't know how they are there in Charlotte but when they were here, their service was exceptional. The chandeliers and they mexican tile flooring was absolutely great. The wine cellar was killer. They even had vintage selections. The selections of freshly cut meats were top of the line. I also loved how the young men of the store would always walk your groceries to the car for you, they would load your car and then close you in your car.

People complained that Harris Teeter was overpriced but I would gladly pay an extra $ .25 for such added value. Oh how I miss Harris Teeter........okay back to the conversation at hand.

OK, I guess you do miss them.

I agree, their service was exceptional, their wine cellar unrivaled, and the fresh meats they offered were top of the line. The front end customer service far exceeded anyone else's as well. However, the 0.25 more thing is a little too low of an estimate.

I did a comparison about a year and a half ago of 30 items from Food Lion, Winn-Dixie (RIP), and Harris Teeter. The total bill came out over $8.00 higher at Harris Teeter. If you are not on a budget it doesn't matter, but if you are, I guess you would go to a Food Lion to save the $8.00. Personally, I really wouldn't care if some teen brings the groceries to my car or not. I'll do it myself thank you! But apparently, some people really like making other people do tasks they can easily do themselves.

The next three Harris Teeters slated to close are, Kings Mountain, Eastland Mall, and Monroe.  Not neccessarily in that order and no specific dates can be given.  (These are based on dwindling sales and stores which are not set for remodel)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's sad they want to close their Eastland store and only stores in Monroe and Kings Mountain. Why is it whenever I'm driving by the Eastland and Monroe stores though, they seem packed?

Harris Teeter for Ardrey Kell has been APPROVED

Approved: Harris Teeter shopping center on Ardrey Kell Road in south suburban Charlotte. Vote: 8-1, with Susan Burgess voting no. Opponents said there are already too many grocery stores in the area. Council members said they didn't want to get into the business of evaluating market demand.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/12165872.htm

other recent land use issues AND the city council did turn down a subdivision

Yeah, you gotta love it. They turn down a 136-home subdivision where the developer has bent over backwards to placate NIMBY's, yet they're unanimousin on a decision to build 1,100 homes where the developer wouldn't even give land for a school, even though the much maligned CMS said it was needed (why then should CMS even show up for rezonings when no one listens?)

That's sad they want to close their Eastland store and only stores in Monroe and Kings Mountain.  Why is it whenever I'm driving by the Eastland and Monroe stores though, they seem packed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although the store is busy, it is in fairly bad shape compared to the other HTs. I agree with SR that they probably don't like the demographics of that area and it seems they make little effort with that store. I thought that store was larger and would be better than the one on Central, but it actually has less of a selection and is in worse shape. If HT closes at Eastland, I hope another grocery store will take its place.

The corner that HT at Eastland sits on has some great potential for development. Someone needs to tear down the old Shell station and increase the visibility of the mall and HT building or do some infilll development along the highways to make the place a little more attractive.

I tend to be pretty self sufficient in grocery stores, so I have little if any interaction with staff in the store, aside from the cashier. The cashier doesn't have to be perky or talkative, any1 who has ever worked in retail can relate to how they are probably feeling. As long as they don't throw my bags around or say anything rude to me I honestly couldn't care less.

Scary question....how many more yrs until Wal-Mart surpasses Food Lion to become the #1 grocer in the state?

I tend to be pretty self sufficient in grocery stores, so I have little if any interaction with staff in the store, aside from the cashier. The cashier doesn't have to be perky or talkative, any1 who has ever worked in retail can relate to how they are probably feeling. As long as they don't throw my bags around or say anything rude to me I honestly couldn't care less.

Scary question....how many more yrs until Wal-Mart surpasses Food Lion to become the #1 grocer in the state?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no more than 5, and that's a very conservative guesstimate

Wal-Mart's growing like gangbusters, but to put in perspective, Food Lion's growth spurt in the '80s and '90s was just as subversive to other grocers in North Carolina as Wal-Mart's is now. If you don'ty think so, ask someone (who used to be) in mangement at Byrd's Food Centers, Big Star, Food World, Harris Teeter or Winn-Dixie.

I wish there was a HT near the Northlake area. The closest one is up in Huntersville

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a good one at Harris Blvd and Mallard Creek. It is open 24 hours. I would think that would be closer to you than Huntersville.

There is a good one at Harris Blvd and Mallard Creek. It is open 24 hours. I would think that would be closer to you than Huntersville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

in theory. however travelling on harris is a painful experience. no matter how i time it, i catch EVERY single red light. not to mention people seem to drive painfully slow on that road. i can hop on 77 and get to huntersville (exit 23 area) in about 7 min where as it takes a good 15-20 to get to mallard creek

Just out of curiousity, any word on Harris Teeter's former stores at Idlewild or Piper Glen? mediamongrel maybe?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Piper Glen and Idlewild remained abandoned...but for how long I haven't heard much. Also, Providence Square is abandoned as well. The HT at Independence and Idlewild will probably be gone once that plaza is torn down, which , my guess will be in 5 years or so. You will almost certainly see the TJ Maxx and Sports Authority move from those locations before the demolition. That plaza is riddled with crime and the few reamining businesses here will not be able to survive. Remember what they did with the old Target building on Independence? As far as Piper Glen, I figured a Dollar Store or something might go in there. It defintiely wont be another grocery store though, because, if I am correct, this is one of the few former HT locations that they actually OWNED and didn't pay rent! Lastly, the Providence Square store (and it's adjoining training offices) really need to be torn down. That building and location is terrible for any business. It dark, old, has low ceilings, and is situated in an unfavorable area for growth or re-development. I will see if I can find any more information circulating regarding HTs plans for the McKee Farms plaza and for the Eastland Mall, Kings mountain, and Monroe stores.

^hmm that's right there are currently 3 abandoned HT's in Charlotte, and if you're right, i guess there will be 3 more abandoned ones in the area.. or 4 if the Plantation Market one closes and moves across the street to McKee Farms. I just can't picture a dollar store in the middle of Piper Glen, lol, I think if anything they should divide it into smaller shops or whatnot for the betterment of that shopping center. As for the Providence Square one, I really hope that Food Lion or Bi-Lo takes it because a lot of people in that community are dependant on public transport now to take them to get groceries whereas it was better when they could walk to "their neighborhood food market"... I expected the Independence Blvd store would close and then with the conversion of 74 to freeway more closings will come probably like you said.

^hmm that's right there are currently 3 abandoned HT's in Charlotte, and if you're right, i guess there will be 3 more abandoned ones in the area.. or 4 if the Plantation Market one closes and moves across the street to McKee Farms.  I just can't picture a dollar store in the middle of Piper Glen, lol, I think if anything they should divide it into smaller shops or whatnot for the betterment of that shopping center.  As for the Providence Square one, I really hope that Food Lion or Bi-Lo takes it because a lot of people in that community are dependant on public transport now to take them to get groceries whereas it was better when they could walk to "their neighborhood food market"... I expected the Independence Blvd store would close and then with the conversion of 74 to freeway more closings will come probably like you said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The interesting thing about the McKee Farms development is that the sign has been up for almost 2 years now, and the only business that has shown an interest is CVS. Lowes Foods apparently wanted this location, but then pulled out after they started building at Providence and 485 instead. So the most likely scenario would be that with all the houses going up around that area, the Plantation Market Harris Teeter (circa 1990) will most likely move to the McKee Farms plaza sometime around when construction on the 485/Weddington Rd. interchange is slated to begin (in or around late 2006). Then, they will just continue to pay rent on the old location so no one moves in there. If you ever go in to that Harris Teeter, the layout is the same as Piper Glen. The only change that was made, was a small remodel about 2 years ago. This probably will not sustain them more than a couple more years because of the amount of residential developments going up within 1 sq. mile of that store. Plus, the Winn-Dixie in Stallings is now going to be shuttered.

The interesting thing about the McKee Farms development is that the sign has been up for almost 2 years now, and the only business that has shown an interest is CVS.  Lowes Foods apparently wanted this location, but then pulled out after they started building at Providence and 485 instead.  So the most likely scenario would be that with all the houses going up around that area, the Plantation Market Harris Teeter (circa 1990) will most likely move to the McKee Farms plaza sometime around when construction on the 485/Weddington Rd. interchange is slated to begin (in or around late 2006).  Then, they will just continue to pay rent on the old location so no one moves in there.  If you ever go in to that Harris Teeter, the layout is the same as Piper Glen.  The only change that was made, was a small remodel about 2 years ago.  This probably will not sustain them more than a couple more years because of the amount of residential developments going up within 1 sq. mile of that store.  Plus, the Winn-Dixie in Stallings is now going to be shuttered.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of Lowes foods, for a newcomer to the market I don't see them being agressive in building stores like Harris Teeter is, if they want to be considered a true competitor. For one, when Winn Dixie closed I could have sworn they would bid on some of the stores (Weddington, McMullen at least).. and now they think that Providence&485 where they're building their current store is too close to Mckee Farms?

Speaking of Lowes foods, for a newcomer to the market I don't see them being agressive in building stores like Harris Teeter is, if they want to be considered a true competitor.  For one, when Winn Dixie closed I could have sworn they would bid on some of the stores (Weddington, McMullen at least).. and now they think that Providence&485 where they're building their current store is too close to Mckee Farms?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think maybe they realize that Harris Teeter saturated the Charlotte Market in the 90's, and I really don't think even the most aggressive approach by Lowes Foods would make a dent in Harris Teeter's Mecklenburg County stronghold. I think Lowes Foods has done a good job in MOST of the areas where their stores are located. However, the 485/Providence Lowes Foods could possibly be a mistake. Reason being; The Harris Teeter at Plantation Market actually does MORE business than the Harris Teeter at 485/Providence. So the only thing Lowes Foods will do at this location is possibly take business away from the Harris Teeter there.

The Harris Teeter at Plantation Market actually does MORE business than the Harris Teeter at 485/Providence.  So the only thing Lowes Foods will do at this location is possibly take business away from the Harris Teeter there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not surprised Plantation Market's HT does more business considering the proximity of the 485/Providence HT and the Ardrey Kell/Providence HT

Not surprised Plantation Market's HT does more business considering the proximity of the 485/Providence HT and the Ardrey Kell/Providence HT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the president of HT actually made a press release back in the late 90's that said his goal as president was to have a Harris Teeter at every major intersection. We don't question executive authority, right? Give me a break. I mean I've heard of saturating the market, but shooting yourself in the foot is different. What is the difference if you have 5 stores bringing in $2,000,000 total or 10 stores bringing in $2,000,000? With the latter, the employees and quality factor is thinned out, and the total quality of everything including service, # of employees, and variety will go down. I think 42 (and counting) HT stores in Mecklenburg county alone is enough already. WE GET IT!

Archived