Harris Teeter

I'm not gonna scroll thru 17 pages of postings, so if this has been addressed already, please bear with me.

What's this I keep hjearing about Ruddick selling out to Publix? HT, as a chain, has been struggling for some time now. It's a big drag on RDK stock, and the myriad of inefficiencies from warehouse through distribution.

Any truth to the rumors? This would be quite the coup for Publix, if true.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a rumor, as far as I know. Harris Teeter makes $3-4 per square foot, as opposed to the average grocery making $1-2 (i think thats what mediamongrel or someone said somewhere in this thread). Yeah, they did go into some markets unsuccessfully, but with the rate they are growing I don't see any truth to the Publix rumor. Where did you hear it?

It's a rumor, as far as I know. Harris Teeter makes $3-4 per square foot, as opposed to the average grocery making $1-2 (i think thats what mediamongrel or someone said somewhere in this thread). Yeah, they did go into some markets unsuccessfully, but with the rate they are growing I don't see any truth to the Publix rumor. Where did you hear it?

I think Publix is always a big rumor target, mainly because they're so successful and because they remain regional and privately-held. Safeway was rumored as a merger partner of theirs for years as well...

Some new info on HT. The Harris Teeter on Providence and Ballantyne Commons, the Plantation Market HT, and the HT down Providence Rd. on the right once you cross 485 will all have "extra agressive" specials starting next Wednesday to coincide with the opening of Lowes Foods on Providence and Ballantyne Commons. To comment on the Publix rumour, it's been obvious for a year or two that HT has had stock problems (Ruddick). They were up around 28-29 earlier this year now down to below 20 last week. (Though the President and owner of HT did both get raises of 12-18% last year) Don't count on HT employees getting any happier if this keeps up. Sounds like HT is starting to treat employees like Food Lion but still wants high standards...give me a break!

If Wal Mart moves in to South Charlotte, I don't see any reason why HT wouldn't take a hit. I mean the Wal Mart at Sardis and Monroe Rd. has already made a big impact on a lot of Harris Teeters and Food Lions around that area, even affecting the Bi-Lo on Independence next to Best Buy! Wal Mart could ravage HT if they really wanted to...in the end maybe 10% of all people would rather pay $25%-35% more at HT just to have good customer service, most everyone else wouldn't care as long as they are saving $$$$

I would pay 100% more to shop at Harris Teeter just to never have to step foot in a Wal-Mart and I would suggest that a majority of the people living where new HTs are located would agree.

Also, it's been rumored that the East Blvd. Harris Teeter will expand and that the little strip center in the middle of the Kenilworth Commons parking lot running perpendicular to East will be torn down to expand the parking lot......also a rumor of a parking deck, but I don't trust that.

I would assume the HT on East has one of the highest sales per square foot of any in the chain.

I would pay 100% more to shop at Harris Teeter just to never have to step foot in a Wal-Mart and I would suggest that a majority of the people living where new HTs are located would agree.

Experience however would say otherwise. Where ever they build a new Walmart Supercenter, the parking lots are packed. Charlotte is no exception to this. While I certainly respect your decision to pay much higher prices at Harris Teeter, the vast majority of grocery store shoppers, shop on price and convenience, and Walmart has the edge in that area for most people.

Which is worse for the city? 1 Walmart Supercenter in an area, or 5 Harris Teeters in the same territory. I am not sure there is a clear answer to that.

Perhaps if I were a Wal-Mart shopper I would buy the convenience arguement....but as a person who simply wants to go buy groceries, it seems like a horrendous task to park in the giant parking lot, usually far from a door, usually in some overgrown shopping center with hundreds of bad drivers headed the wrong way down each lane.....not to mention there there are 3 Harris Teeters closer to me than a Wal-Mart......

I'm getting the shivers just thinking about this.

Everyone is different I guess. We have 5 brand new Harris Teeters here at the Lake but I prefer to shop at Walmart even though I have to travel a bit to get to one. The savings on groceries are quite substantial and while I don't have to do this, I find that it is still prudent to save money where you can on something as substantial as the food budget. I would rather spend the money elsewhere. I always park at the end of the parking lot anyway.

If I do shop locally at a grocery store, I usually go to Lowes. Maybe it is just local, but I have found that recently Harris Teeter has an issue with cleanliness. Next time you are there take a close look at how nasty their carts and bathrooms are. If they can't keep those clean, imagine what else is wrong. Lowes does not have the same issue. I also shop a lot at Costco.

imo Walmart's produce just isn't as good. Its great for some of things like dish or laundry detergent but their vegetables are terrible and I'm suspicious of their meats. But HT's is just too expensive to buy the basics whether I can afford it or not. Maybe it comes from having watched my mom make ends meet on a very tight budget when I was little but I don't believe in buying something overpriced just for the sake of it. What I do appreciate about HT is that it foods/seasonings are more diverse. I can pick up more of the things I need to make my West Indian, spanish, soul food, even asian dishes without have to run to the bodega, then the jamaican spot or the wherever. I can't get good curry at Walmart, yucca, or a variety when it comes to coconut milk.

So I kind of do a combination of bulk items from BJs, fruits/veggies from HT/Blooms/wholefoods and general household items from walmart.

Indeed. Harris Teeter is unreasonably high and to get what they call a deal their food, they require you to produce their affinity card (VIP) which they turn around and sell that info about your purchasing habits to anyone who wants it. Even Walmart doesnt do that.

Grocery store vegetables are not that good by the time they end up in the store. When you can, I recommend going to the local farmer's markets and growing some of your own if you have a place to do it. It's rewarding and the quality and taste of something just harvested out of a garden is second to none.

Walmart's labor practices are horrible. They've even recently come out with a memo that said that they are going to require all jobs to have some physical aspect to them so that "unhealthy" and older people will not apply, that way they will have low healthcare costs. Many people who work there full-time still are at the poverty level. If that's the only way to get low prices, I'll pass. I choose to vote with my money by buying from places whose business practices I support.

Indeed. Harris Teeter is unreasonably high and to get what they call a deal their food, they require you to produce their affinity card (VIP) which they turn around and sell that info about your purchasing habits to anyone who wants it. Even Walmart doesnt do that.

All the main supermarkets (excluding Wal Mart) have an Affinity card, even the Food Lion! However, Harris Teeter is unreasonably high I agree. Even Lowes Foods may still be $.50-$1.00 less expensive than HT when it comes down to it. If you think about it, there really isn't a big "competition" on a national scale when it comes to grocery stores because it seems none of them are truly independently owned, HT is controlled by Ruddick and Bi-Lo is run by A-Hold. Ultimately, Bi-Lo, Teeter, and Lowes will probably fall victim to Wal Mart in 20 years. Feel free to disagree...

Do you think a cashier at Harris Teeter gets paid a living wage with benefits?

No, but as I mentioned before I have been told that HT keeps increasing insurance costs and redcing employee benefits, but the president and owner still get a 12% raise. 12% on ~$467,000 is about $56,040 Most co-managers of Harris Teeters don't even make $56,000 a year and that's the president's raise? What's good business practice about that?

Walmart's labor practices are horrible. They've even recently come out with a memo that said that they are going to require all jobs to have some physical aspect to them so that "unhealthy" and older people will not apply, that way they will have low healthcare costs. Many people who work there full-time still are at the poverty level. If that's the only way to get low prices, I'll pass. I choose to vote with my money by buying from places whose business practices I support.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_2_what_does_the_war.html

This article has good information about the myths that are spread regarding Wal-Mart's health care plans and other business practices. Many people just hate certain elements of Wal-Mart so much, that it is a successful company maybe, that they fail to see that there is anything good behind it.

Exactly. I will spend more money on locally produced items if I know that it will benefit a common person. But a employee at HT is no better off than one at Walmart.

That might work with produce, but I dont buy American cars just because they are made here. Harris Teeters produce isn't any better than Bi-Lo's, it is just handled differently by associates.

Some new info on HT. The Harris Teeter on Providence and Ballantyne Commons, the Plantation Market HT, and the HT down Providence Rd. on the right once you cross 485 will all have "extra agressive" specials starting next Wednesday to coincide with the opening of Lowes Foods on Providence and Ballantyne Commons. To comment on the Publix rumour, it's been obvious for a year or two that HT has had stock problems (Ruddick). They were up around 28-29 earlier this year now down to below 20 last week. (Though the President and owner of HT did both get raises of 12-18% last year) Don't count on HT employees getting any happier if this keeps up. Sounds like HT is starting to treat employees like Food Lion but still wants high standards...give me a break!

It's about time that Lowes Foods opened

All the main supermarkets (excluding Wal Mart) have an Affinity card, even the Food Lion! However, Harris Teeter is unreasonably high I agree. Even Lowes Foods may still be $.50-$1.00 less expensive than HT when it comes down to it. If you think about it, there really isn't a big "competition" on a national scale when it comes to grocery stores because it seems none of them are truly independently owned, HT is controlled by Ruddick and Bi-Lo is run by A-Hold. Ultimately, Bi-Lo, Teeter, and Lowes will probably fall victim to Wal Mart in 20 years. Feel free to disagree...

Bi-Lo is now run by Lone Star Funds

Yeah, I forgot that they were bought out earlier this year. Thanks for that correction. Still hasn't changed their look however. Check out the Bi-Lo on Independence Blvd in Charlotte...talk about outdated.

I've not been to that Bi-Lo in at least 10 years. I'd like to go see what it looks like

Archived