Harris Teeter

Wonder how much longer the execs at HT will keep the Eastland store open now after the mall shooting. HT must be worried about their image now that they have a store located in close proximity to that event. Don't look for that store to survive much longer. There's virtually no HTs on the east side of Charlotte except for the Margaret Wallace one and the Eastland. Oh sorry, ad the pathetic Mint Hill location :cry:

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not a whole lot longer. I was expecting them to leave when Belk and Dillard's close their stores for the new mall.. but Harris Teeter might leave sooner.

You're right... East of Independence Blvd in Charlotte there are Harris Teeter stores at Margret Wallace (brand new "replacement" store for the Idlewild one), their Plaza-Midwood store, Eastland Mall, and the one in Mint Hill pretty much.

Do you think a cashier at Harris Teeter gets paid a living wage with benefits?

Harris Teeter is not a nationwide chain with a systematic strategy of union-busting. Local chains end up having to respond to Walmart's tactics by reducing wages and benefits in order to compete against them. I have a problem with their strategy because we end up subsidizing Walmart with our tax dollars when their employees need government assistance even though they are full-time working employees.

I usually split my shopping between Talley's and Harris Teeter. I'm interested in Whole Foods when it comes to Elizabeth, but even they have had labor complaints regarding workers trying to unionize. It's hard to find good places to shop when corporations' #1 goal (by law) is to create wealth for their stockholders rather than value for society.

I've got some news. 2 things

First - The old Harris Teeter store at Idlewild & Independence Blvd will become a Compare Foods store. This grocer specializes in latino foods... (wonder if Eastland will see a Compare Foods?)... There are already two other Compare Foods stores in Charlotte, both at former Winn Dixie stores (Milton Road and Arrowood Road; and one at the old Winn Dixie on Franklin in Gastonia).

Story from the Charlotte Observer

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/13355434.htm

Second- Harris Teeter and Food Lion swap stores. As you might know, the old Harris Teeter store in Kings Mountain is becoming a Food Lion. What's interesting though, is that this was a swap... The Food Lion store in Darnestown, MD is going to become a Harris Teeter store.

Story from the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5120701393.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like this new Compare Foods just for the types of choices I had when I visited. Its great to be able to buy yucca, plantains, coconut milk, etc. The focus is decidedly latino but that the heavy african aspects of latino culture results in items that work well for caribbean and soul food dishes too. I will definitely retun for the spices and things that I simply can't find at stores like Walmart & Bilo.

The BofA in HT York was robbed, again! http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13663266.htm

If I am not mistaken, the Eastland HT's robbery was it's third in two years. Not really shocking, though, it makes you wonder why HT keeps this store open to serve that neighborhood. Might have something to do with remaining somewhat politically correct. If they pulled out of one of the last remaining "minority" locations, someone would definitely take notice.

If I am not mistaken, the Eastland HT's robbery was it's third in two years. Not really shocking, though, it makes you wonder why HT keeps this store open to serve that neighborhood. Might have something to do with remaining somewhat politically correct. If they pulled out of one of the last remaining "minority" locations, someone would definitely take notice.
"Minorities" still shop at Harris Teeter, so they should have a store in their neighborhood.

I think they should renovate the store if they're serious about it then. Or at least put the NEW (10 years old) Harris Teeter logo on this store.

The former Winn Dixie which as been ressurected from the dead as Harris Teeter on Sam Furr Rd in Huntersville, will open this Wednesday according to this huge ugly yellow sign they have plastered on the side of a tractor trailer parked in that parking lot.

I think the Harris Teeter in Weddington is set to open soon too, where the Winn Dixie was in Weddington Corners.

HT has announced they are closing their store in Statesville (near the mall). I believe I heard this is the only HT in Statesville which seems a bit odd, but then again, I don't recall there being another one there.

Accoring to their website, it is indeed the only one. As I remember, it's in kind of a dumpy shopping center with some 1960s-era big box that looks like it used to be a Zayre or a Clark's or something. It's probably not a store they're terribly proud of, but you'd think they might relocate rather than close...

HT has announced they are closing their store in Statesville (near the mall). I believe I heard this is the only HT in Statesville which seems a bit odd, but then again, I don't recall there being another one there.

http://www.statesville.com/servlet/Satelli...d=1137833748579

Not a surprise. Harris Teeter is itching to get out of small towns where they have their older stores and where the demographics don't fit Harris Teeter. It is always sad to read the articles from the smaller towns where Harris Teeter is leaving, and see the reaction from the customers:

HT might want to close the store in Laurinburg; however, the Dickson family, one of the families that owns the Ruddick Corporation, are huge supporters of St Andrews College. The reason the store is located there is because the land was owned by St Andrews, the shopping center was developed by Faison and it was yet another way tfor the Dickson family to lend their support to St Andrews. Luckily for Laurinburg, that might be one of the few small town stores to survive. At least I am crossing my fingers for Laurinburg and the St Andrews community.

Hopefully that Laurinburg store will survive.

Should have figured that was a Faison project. The main entrance driveway has those fancy '70s streetlamps that Faison projects use. Eastland Mall used to have those, and Valley View and River Ridge Malls in Virginia still have them.

It is the only one. My fiance's family is from Statesville and some still live there. The Harris Teeter is moving a little south to Troutman so it's not closing completely.

It is the only one. My fiance's family is from Statesville and some still live there. The Harris Teeter is moving a little south to Troutman so it's not closing completely.

So Basically, it's doing what the Mooresville store did. Moving from in-town out to serve the more upscale lake communities.

Archived