Harris Teeter

The latest buzz is that Pleasant Plains Road is looking better and better to HT, and their locations scouts. Executive brainstorming has led to the possiblity of Harris Teeter expanding with two new stores running parallel to Pleasant Plains Rd. The most likely location has to be going towards Stallings immediately after the 485 overpass. Abundant farmland dots this road from that point to the intersection of McKee Rd. Ironically this is only about 1 mile (give or take) from the Plantation Market Harris Teeter.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest buzz is that Pleasant Plains Road is looking better and better to HT, and their locations scouts.  Executive brainstorming has led to the possiblity of Harris Teeter expanding with two new stores running parallel to Pleasant Plains Rd.  The most likely location has to be going towards Stallings immediately after the 485 overpass.  Abundant farmland dots this road from that point to the intersection of McKee Rd.  Ironically this is only about 1 mile (give or take) from the Plantation Market Harris Teeter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well won't that be kind of odd! I think the president of HT overdid it when he said he is going to have a HT at every major intersection! sound's like he's going to battle with wal-mart. :lol:

The latest buzz is that Pleasant Plains Road is looking better and better to HT, and their locations scouts.  Executive brainstorming has led to the possiblity of Harris Teeter expanding with two new stores running parallel to Pleasant Plains Rd.  The most likely location has to be going towards Stallings immediately after the 485 overpass.  Abundant farmland dots this road from that point to the intersection of McKee Rd.  Ironically this is only about 1 mile (give or take) from the Plantation Market Harris Teeter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It won't suprise me if they went for both of those locations

Although the Eastland HT location does seem out of character, and I could imagine HT having cold feet about *opening* a store in that area...

It does seem odd that they would close a store that is "defying expectations" and doing brisk business.

Although the Eastland HT location does seem out of character, and I could imagine HT having cold feet about *opening* a store in that area...

It does seem odd that they would close a store that is "defying expectations" and doing brisk business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the store does do decent business for being at Eastland Mall, however, the crime aspect cannot be overlooked. There are 3 subcontracted security guards at that store. More than any other HT! Cotswold has 2. Also, as I mentioned in previous forums, the shoplifting loss (based on % of sales) is highest at Easltand.

Yes, the store does do decent business for being at Eastland Mall, however, the crime aspect cannot be overlooked.  There are 3 subcontracted security guards at that store.  More than any other HT!  Cotswold has 2.  Also, as I mentioned in previous forums, the shoplifting loss (based on % of sales) is highest at Easltand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How high was the shoplifting at the old Independence & Idlewild store?

How high was the shoplifting at the old Independence & Idlewild store?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't have a figure on that since it closed a while back. I remember there was at least one staffed security guard though. It was probably similar to Eastland, but not quite as bad.

NEW HT OPENING TOMORROW ON OLD MONROE RD IN SUN VALLEY.

ACROSS FROM SUN VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL.

The saturation of south Charlotte continues!

NEW HT OPENING TOMORROW ON OLD MONROE RD IN SUN VALLEY.

ACROSS FROM SUN VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that just came out of nowhere. Well, i'm sure HT will use the opening of this store to justify the closing of their store in Monroe on Hwy 74

heres more info

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=6610+Old+Mon...10131&t=h&hl=en

Info from HT.com:

http://www.harristeeter.com/Default.aspx?p...=47&article=394

Wow, that just came out of nowhere.  Well, i'm sure HT will use the opening of this store to justify the closing of their store in Monroe on Hwy 74

heres more info

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=6610+Old+Mon...10131&t=h&hl=en

Info from HT.com:

http://www.harristeeter.com/Default.aspx?p...=47&article=394

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great links! There will probably be a lot of free items as there usually is with HT grand openings.

The Monroe HT hasn't been "officially" marked for closing, but from the looks of it and the lack of renovation, it is pretty obvious that it will possibly close within the year. (By the way, for those interested in good deals, the Monroe HT will mirror the specials of the Grand Opening Store in Sun Valley for the first week.)

those are awesome pics mediamongrel! ilektronik, mediamongrel is usually the best at knowing where the next Harris Teeter store opens.. I don't think they have plans for a Northlake area store anytime soon though, sorry... i think the closest locations will remain (and i'm sure you know them) as Highland Creek, Harris Blvd & Mallard Creek, Brookshire & Mt Holly Huntersville and Gilead Road..

those are awesome pics mediamongrel!  ilektronik, mediamongrel is usually the best at knowing where the next Harris Teeter store opens.. I don't think they have plans for a Northlake area store anytime soon though, sorry... i think the closest locations will remain (and i'm sure you know them) as Highland Creek, Harris Blvd & Mallard Creek, Brookshire & Mt Holly Huntersville and Gilead Road..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's kind of interesting that in the 60's and 70's, there was a fad of adding supermarkets inside malls. There used to be a Harris Teeter in the Freedom Mall, The Old Charlottetown Mall (Midtown Square), and there also used to be one attached to the Southpark Mall. If only this was 1975, the Northlake Mall might have a Harris Teeter attached to it! Right now there hasn't been much word about any grocery chain including HT coming near the Northlake location. However, there is definitely some prime locations north of exit 18. Heading east of Remount Rd. probably wouldn't gain substantial business. There is a similar line between Harris Teeter and Lowes' Foods desired clientel, and that area is very precisely defined. Upper class north of Exit 18, but SE and SW of that exit the demographic changes drastically. Not sure if either one of those grocers would take a chance as of now on building a new store around there.

• 2 weeks later...

Some HT locations in jeopardy.

Updated on Aug 24, 20005;

1. Kings Mountain, NC

2. Eastland Mall

3. Monroe, NC

4. Sardis/Monroe Rd.

5. Florence, SC

But then again, HT plays a balancing act by opening these;

1. Wesley Chapel (opened last year)

2. Fort Mill, SC (opened last year)

3. Sun Valley (opened about 3 weeks ago)

4. Ardrey Kell/Rea Rd. (tentatively opening late September)

5. Possible location off of Pleasant Plains Rd. (TBA)

Sardis/Monroe Rd is in jeopardy?? If they close that and Eastland, that's a total Independence corridor pullout except for the store in Matthews.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, eerie, because years ago that was the prime area. But nowadays, I don't think Harris Teeter minds pulling out of the Independence corridor. If you make an income assesment from say Independence/485 and follow that north, there are almost no middle to upperclass neighborhoods anywhere around there. (say 1 mile east or west of Independence) With primarily upper class being HTs target market, it would make sense for them to abandon this area.

I know, eerie, because years ago that was the prime area.  But nowadays, I don't think Harris Teeter minds pulling out of the Independence corridor.  If you make an income assesment from say Independence/485 and follow that north, there are almost no middle to upperclass neighborhoods anywhere around there. (say 1 mile east or west of Independence)  With primarily upper class being HTs target market, it would make sense for them to abandon this area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I know - if HT does leave that location - a lot of people will be upset since people who used to shop the Indepndence/Idlewild store now shop at the Sardis/Monroe store.

Is the University City Blvd ever going to be renovated?  I've heard that is, but never see anything.

That store is a dump.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope they renovate that store... they did open a new store at Rocky River and 485, but the University City Blvd store is still dumpy...

Archived