Harris Teeter

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate Harris Teeter.I work there and all they think about is themselves.They dont about you or me.Believe i know!Example,the store manger gives me a pizza that almost thawed out.He tells me to put it back on the shelf.I felt it and i thought to myself, im not going to put this up.I open up the box and it was just unthawed,it was terrible.Thanks to me it didnt go back up,but that is Harris Teeter ,anyway to make a buck,.They don't care!!I wish some good competition will come and challenge them.Thats the problem they have no competition!

I'm sorry to hear about your discontent with them, especially as an employee. I do agree though that they only care about themselves (in some cases) - especially when it comes to stores in *certain* areas of towns and their OVERSATURATION of the South Charlotte market.... and that's why i'd like to see some Publix, Kroger and more Lowes - just to create more of a BALANCE and less of a MONOPOLY! um, if you don't mind me asking, what store do you work at? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's just a coincidence that the Harris Teeter at Eastland Mall has the HIGHEST loss due to shoplifting companywide. The Eastland Mall is always busy because it is a crime haven. I understand that most people that go there are not like that, but then again you can't deny that they have an extremely high theivery rate as compared to other malls. It has potential for something new, but I never hear anyone saying, "Hey let's drive out to the Eastland Mall tonight." (Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I am not a supporter of South Park either.) I like a decent blue collar mall. South Park does not fit my criteria, but neither does Eastland.

(i'm just copying what you said in another thread)... but i have this gut feeling that Eastland's Harris Teeter is getting closer to saying bye bye... go visit it when you can.

back to HT, today the logo on the Providence Commons store was changed to the new Harris Teeter logo

For the record, Eastland, Monroe, and the Plantation Market stores still sport the old logo. It might be a good way to gauge which stores are for closing...

Yes, that is a good way to gauge which stores are not on the priority list, however the last store you mentioned is a toss up. Plantation Market will probably not close (or move) due to its major remodel back in 2003, but anythings possible. Remember that McKee Farms shopping center sign across the street has been up for 3 years plus with a CVS "coming soon" writing on it. Apparently, Harris Teeter doesn't want to move across the street to that location. Maybe Wal Mart might???

I hate Harris Teeter.I work there and all they think about is themselves.They dont about you or me.Believe i know!Example,the store manger gives me a pizza that almost thawed out.He tells me to put it back on the shelf.I felt it and i thought to myself, im not going to put this up.I open up the box and it was just unthawed,it was terrible.Thanks to me it didnt go back up,but that is Harris Teeter ,anyway to make a buck,.They don't care!!I wish some good competition will come and challenge them.Thats the problem they have no competition!

If Wal Mart moves in to South Charlotte, I don't see any reason why HT wouldn't take a hit. I mean the Wal Mart at Sardis and Monroe Rd. has already made a big impact on a lot of Harris Teeters and Food Lions around that area, even affecting the Bi-Lo on Independence next to Best Buy! Wal Mart could ravage HT if they really wanted to...in the end maybe 10% of all people would rather pay $25%-35% more at HT just to have good customer service, most everyone else wouldn't care as long as they are saving $$$$

Yes, that is a good way to gauge which stores are not on the priority list, however the last store you mentioned is a toss up. Plantation Market will probably not close (or move) due to its major remodel back in 2003, but anythings possible. Remember that McKee Farms shopping center sign across the street has been up for 3 years plus with a CVS "coming soon" writing on it. Apparently, Harris Teeter doesn't want to move across the street to that location. Maybe Wal Mart might???

I don't see Wal-Mart building a store out there, to me it just seems too countryside right now down a 2-lane road... I think once the Weddington Road interchange on I-485 opens, then it'll be possible that Wal-Mart open a supercenter there.

I'm surprised that sign has been up for three years though. And surprised Lowes Foods didn't want that spot, they're being less agressive on moving into the market than I thought they would be (as in not taking any former Winn Dixie stores either)

If Wal Mart moves in to South Charlotte, I don't see any reason why HT wouldn't take a hit. I mean the Wal Mart at Sardis and Monroe Rd. has already made a big impact on a lot of Harris Teeters and Food Lions around that area, even affecting the Bi-Lo on Independence next to Best Buy! Wal Mart could ravage HT if they really wanted to...in the end maybe 10% of all people would rather pay $25%-35% more at HT just to have good customer service, most everyone else wouldn't care as long as they are saving $$$$

Yeah not surprising that the Wal-Mart on Sardis Road North has affected not only HT and FL across the street, but the Bi-Lo on Independence. I just don't see any of those area stores closing anytime soon... but hey it's the independence corridor, where everything eventually dies and becomes a empty big box.

Just some surmising on my part...Eastland, the HT in Monroe, and the Rock Hill store near Winthrop may all be in Jeopardy. I also hear that the HT located in the Sun Valley section of South Charlotte has missed weekly sales projections from when the store opened by about $150,000

That's sad. I think Eastland is definately the saddest. I really have to visit this store soon. If Rock Hill's and Monroe's Harris Teeter stores close, they'd be left with only one other store in their towns. Explain Sun Valley's HT missing its projection... too high or low or what?

Apparently the projected weekly business for that store (ball park) was about 350-375k weekly. Currently, I think they are struggling to hit 225-250k weekly, though the holidays may mask the bad numbers at least unitl January.

It's ironic about this, because Harris Teeter has a NEW store planned at Chestnut Lane and Potter Road in Indian Trail, only 5 minutes away. Maybe they'll close their Monroe store when this new one opens?

It's ironic about this, because Harris Teeter has a NEW store planned at Chestnut Lane and Potter Road in Indian Trail, only 5 minutes away. Maybe they'll close their Monroe store when this new one opens?

The Chesnut and Potter road store has a "projected" finish date of 2008, so they have a while, but the Monore store might close before that. HT is very sketchy it seems on where their stores are located. They seem like they don't want to position them selves "too close" to the middle income areas, but yet they still want to expand south. Soon they will realize that unless upper class developments keep being built, then they will run out of clientel. People in the "backwoods" areas of SC and NC won't even glance at HT's prices.

Keep in mind that HT has a habit of delaying their openings big time to coincide with their fiscal years and their sales for the current year. The Rea Rd. / Ardrey Kell store was supposed to originally open in Sep '05, then was pushed back to Thanksgiving '05, now it is set for January '06. So, it figures the Chesnut and Potter store may "seem" like it will be finished quicker than 2008, but it might not be done until then in reality.

A little off topic, but is it just my imagine or... I remember as a kid there was a Harris Teeter in downtown Matthews where the library/town hall sits today. Is this true?

Quite right! That HT apparently sat vacant for almost 10 years. The store at Plantation Market was actually meant to REPLACE the store in Matthews where the town hall currently stands. This really doesn't make any sense because these locations are about 3 miles from each other, but I confirmed this with HT "spokespeople" years ago. After all, the Harris Teeter across from Target is closer to Matthews than Plantation Market, so why wouldn't that one replace the Matthews one???

Quite right! That HT apparently sat vacant for almost 10 years. The store at Plantation Market was actually meant to REPLACE the store in Matthews where the town hall currently stands. This really doesn't make any sense because these locations are about 3 miles from each other, but I confirmed this with HT "spokespeople" years ago. After all, the Harris Teeter across from Target is closer to Matthews than Plantation Market, so why wouldn't that one replace the Matthews one???

When was the one where the town hall stands today originally built?

Piper Glen former HT was having a fixture sale last month...just in case anyone wanted to walk back inside, I hope they did it when they had the chance!

A fixture sale? As in selling the light fixtures?

And you say HT still will own this store and won't sell it to anyone right

I like HT's friendlyness... i've had some bad experiences with Food Lion in Charlotte and Bi-Lo in Greensboro... but ppl at HT have always been nicest

I love HT also. I am in my 11th month of my year-long (or longer) boycott of Food Lion/Bloom. Their unfriendliness and lack of customer service is what prompted the boycott.

Every trip I make to HT is pleasant and unstressful. I like the friendly employees (and I am NOT from the South). I don't mind paying more for such a great shopping experience.

I love HT also. I am in my 11th month of my year-long (or longer) boycott of Food Lion/Bloom. Their unfriendliness and lack of customer service is what prompted the boycott.

Every trip I make to HT is pleasant and unstressful. I like the friendly employees (and I am NOT from the South). I don't mind paying more for such a great shopping experience.

Welcome to Urban Planet!

Archived