Harris Teeter

I actually shopped in that grocery store in the late 70s that later became the Odyssey. I honestly did not remember it being a Harris Teeter, but that doesn't mean it wasn't as that was quite a long time ago. That shopping center had started its quick decline by then with the XXX Climax I & II movie theater (later renamed the Cinema Blue) and the closing of the other stores there, including Zayre.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually shopped in that grocery store in the late 70s that later became the Odyssey. I honestly did not remember it being a Harris Teeter, but that doesn't mean it wasn't as that was quite a long time ago.

Actually, in the 1970s, it was apparently a "Big M", which was Harris-Teeter's budget chain. They converted some older stores and some in less prosperous neighborhoods to this format, and it lasted through most of the 1970s. Then, they renamed them all Harris-Teeter again. I even remember seeing the commercials from when they reunited the two names. I think it was about 1976 or 1977, but I'm not sure. I know it had to be while channel 36 was still on Greensboro's cable system.

Imagine that: Harris-Teeter having a budget chain. Not to mention multiple stores in north Charlotte...

Do you think Harris Teeter would really close the Mint Hill store? Are the Food Lion and the new Lowes Foods taking away from its sales?

I don't know if the Food Lion and Lowe's Foods have anything to do with it...the Lowes Foods isn't doing so hot either, but that Mint Hill HT is just a graveyard...even after last years remodel it does hardly any business at all. The small group of employess at that store is the barest minimum...it's almost like a Food Lion staff... :lol: But I think if it does close it may be a while. Even though the Eastland store does more business, the crime aspect may force it to shut down before the Mint Hill one. Let's not forget the Monroe and Gaston Mall HT are on the list as well...

I don't know if the Food Lion and Lowe's Foods have anything to do with it...the Lowes Foods isn't doing so hot either, but that Mint Hill HT is just a graveyard...even after last years remodel it does hardly any business at all. The small group of employess at that store is the barest minimum...it's almost like a Food Lion staff... :lol: But I think if it does close it may be a while. Even though the Eastland store does more business, the crime aspect may force it to shut down before the Mint Hill one. Let's not forget the Monroe and Gaston Mall HT are on the list as well...

yup... random question, but do you know how the store in Albemarle store is doing?

The HT at Cotswold isn't going to be demolished, just remodeled. HT will take the 6,000 square foot Hallmark store between Marshall's and its current store. Hallmark will move to the space vacated by Relax the Back beside Dairy Queen.

Ok I didn't think they'd demolish it. Thank you for the update!

Ok I didn't think they'd demolish it. Thank you for the update!

they should demolish it...I hate that store and the area. the parking lot and plaza are WAY to small for the amount of people that shop there. but then again, so is the Arboretum...who thinks up these plaza designs? they seem to be designed for 1960's sales projections and not for 2006. HELLO HT EXECS AND SHOPPING CENTER OWNERS! - CHARLOTTE HAS 1,000,000 PEOPLE PRACTICALLY! they can't all fit in a 1 1/2 acre parking lot.

HT Cotswald is still a nice store. It's a little dated, but it's a typical '90s looking HT inside. I've never been in HT Eastland.

The parking deck is a bad idea. It would hide the store from Sharon Amity and create all kinds of dark corners that old people hate. You'd end up scaring more potential customers away than you'd attract.

If you want to see an old style Harris Teeter, the one on Catawba Avenue (in SouthLake shopping center) in Cornelius has had little updating done to it. When HT opened its new upscale store down the street at the Pennisula, HT got a huge protest from local residents who didn't want to shop in such an upscale place, so they left this store open to serve a different demographic. It's quite odd to see the contrast in the two stores.

Since this decision was made however, the area has become saturated in grocery stores and I have to think that HT might eventually close this store. The next closest store, a relatively new Bilo, has already closed, and since this HT is much more difficult to get to, I would think its days are numbered.

The HT at Mintworth Commons (Corner of Margaret Wallace and Idlewild) is getting pretty close to completion. They have the sign up now and looks like they are just doing landscaping. Does anyone know when it's actually scheduled to open? It's a huge store, what's going in on the side of it? It looks like more then just a HT.

Yeah *true* two-story Harris Teeters are only in the DC Area. They have elevators and ramps and stuff.

The following are grand openings in the next month or two; Blakeney, Mintworth Commons, Rea Rd./Ardrey Kell, and the "SUPER" flagship HT in Weddington on 84 and Providence (former WD)

But they will always anchor openings with closings in the same fiscal year...i.e. Mint Hill, possibly Eastland, and maybe Monroe.

Also, to answer your question about the Albemarle store...currently it is doing about 200-220k per week. To put that into perspective, Mint Hill does about 110k/wk, Providence Commons 430k/wk, Cotswold 800k/wk and Morrocroft 950k-1 million/wk

Archived