Harris Teeter

Yeah what's so super about the former Winn Dixie > HT? I visited the former WD in Greensboro that became a HT, it's nice, like the new HT prototypes, but nothing "super"

I don't think there is anything "SUPER" about it either, though that is HTs internal marketing scheme. It does have quite a lot of square footage inside compared with most of their other Charlotte locations. They considered Stonecrest a flagship when it first opened and that was a former Hannaford, so it seems the term is quite relative. Maybe it's only used to force employees of HT to make more of an initiative to further HT's misson statement. Then again, I believe it's just some clever wording by a button pusher in the HT corporate office who makes a lot of money coming up with slogans like Super flagship, and "My Harris Teeter." (Though, any freshman in college for marketing could probably have come up with those)

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stonecrest has around 55,000 square feet. Compare to Morocroft's roughly 64,000 square feet, Arboretum's 60,000 square feet... I believe that the Harris Teeter in Weddington Corners is around 50,000ish.

This is what the Weddington Corners HT will look like (it's just photoshopped out the Winn Dixie name and put HT's name there)

WDPic10-05.jpg

This is what the new prototypes for Harris Teeter look like anyway:

HarperHill_03-1014.jpg

Wow! I had no idea so many folks were such avid grocery chain watchers.

As far as "my Harris Teeter" (kind of a stupid slogan) is concerned, the main problem I see with the Cotswold store is the fact there's no room for those of us waiting in line to check out. Parking is a completely different story. Cotswold Shopping Center in general has the worst parking lot in the city after the Arboretum (a special place in hell awaits those that designed it). The angles of the spaces are wrong, the alleys are too narrow, and what idiot came up with the idea of placing planting boxes perpendicular to spaces instead of parallel?

Wow! I had no idea so many folks were such avid grocery chain watchers.

As far as "my Harris Teeter" (kind of a stupid slogan) is concerned, the main problem I see with the Cotswold store is the fact there's no room for those of us waiting in line to check out. Parking is a completely different story. Cotswold Shopping Center in general has the worst parking lot in the city after the Arboretum (a special place in hell awaits those that designed it). The angles of the spaces are wrong, the alleys are too narrow, and what idiot came up with the idea of placing planting boxes perpendicular to spaces instead of parallel?

I agree completely! I made this point a few pages back in this thread but no one seemed to agree. In general HT seems to have the worst parking design and space for its patrons. Especially at Cotswold and Arboretum. Park Road Shopping Center HT is pretty bad as well along with the Mallard Creek store. As for the good-Stonecrest(good parking for how busy they are) and all the stores that are smaller have decent parking (due to low sales though)

I agree completely! I made this point a few pages back in this thread but no one seemed to agree. In general HT seems to have the worst parking design and space for its patrons. Especially at Cotswold and Arboretum. Park Road Shopping Center HT is pretty bad as well along with the Mallard Creek store. As for the good-Stonecrest(good parking for how busy they are) and all the stores that are smaller have decent parking (due to low sales though)

Speaking of narrow alleys, both Cotswold and Park Road shopping center were both designed in the 1960's (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and the narrow alleys and perpendicular parking spaces were fine for the traffic flow of 1965 and the population of probably 100,000 in Charlotte. But now with almost 1,000,000 people in Charlotte, remodeling the parking is WAY overdue for these locations!

I agree, the parking lots do need a remodel.

Also I saw this in the Business Journal- talking about the Uptown HT, how it's smaller and can't stock everything, and about some of the DC area stores' multiple stories.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...6/tidbits1.html

More on Teeter remodeling/opening new stores

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13888206.htm

Also I saw this in the Business Journal- talking about the Uptown HT, how it's smaller and can't stock everything, and about some of the DC area stores' multiple stories.

Interesting articles...I am familiar with Thomas "Tad" Dickson. Apparently, he also has a brother named Rush. No, I am not joking.

update quickly...Margaret Wallace opening pushed back to June because of a failed permit inspection on the road in front of the plaza. not sure of the details. also, rea rd. /ardrey kell tentative april 5th and weddington mid to late april.

not sure if anyone frequented the statesville HT, but I heard that it had closed a week back. wasn't aware of this until just recently. statesville = no money = no HT....there's some logic

The official announcement:

Harris Teeter to close South Charlotte store

Harris Teeter announced Friday that it would close its Piper Glenn store on Rea Road .

Company officials said the store would be closed on or before May 24, 2005.

The company will offer the 57 store employees positions in other places in the company.

This is a post from almost a year ago regarding Piper Glen. I have been told Mint Hill has less than the 57 FT employees that Piper had and it is still in operation...WTF??? Talk about losing money for the benefit of the community. For HT, I suppose June can't come fast enough.

update quickly...Margaret Wallace opening pushed back to June because of a failed permit inspection on the road in front of the plaza. not sure of the details. also, rea rd. /ardrey kell tentative april 5th and weddington mid to late april.

not sure if anyone frequented the statesville HT, but I heard that it had closed a week back. wasn't aware of this until just recently. statesville = no money = no HT....there's some logic

Logical. I guess the Troutman store will do better b/c of Lake proximity.

This is a post from almost a year ago regarding Piper Glen. I have been told Mint Hill has less than the 57 FT employees that Piper had and it is still in operation...WTF??? Talk about losing money for the benefit of the community. For HT, I suppose June can't come fast enough.

I passed by there today, that shopping center was packed. (Mint Hill Festival)

I shop at the East Blvd Teeter and the parking lot is a nightmare. Especially around lunch hour on weekdays and evening rush. Its so tiny and narrow. I read of rumors on here and elsewhere that there are long range plans to completely reconfigure Kenilworth Commons. It needs it. The whole center just does not function well.

Residents are angry at the opening of the 5th Harris Teeter at the lake. (it is an infestation if you ask me) I am sure the Lowes down the street loves the signs to boycott the place. haha. I wonder if you would ever see this in Charlotte?

From the Huntersville Herald

local02.jpg

Ok I see the article now.. http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/articles...cal/local02.txt it's about the traffic from Norman Island and the turning lane situation

Residents are angry at the opening of the 5th Harris Teeter at the lake. (it is an infestation if you ask me) I am sure the Lowes down the street loves the signs to boycott the place. haha. I wonder if you would ever see this in Charlotte?

From the Huntersville Herald

local02.jpg

Funny picture and story...do you ever wonder if Charlotte government pays off HT for their help with their "smart growth" idea? It was interesting that the Food Lion proposed for Marvin Rd. and Ardrey Kell had strong local council opposition but the HT hardly had any, nor do they have any governmental opposition anywhere else. Makes you wonder if HT pays people off somehow. Wouldn't surprise me...

Obviously they have some pull with the NCDOT. It's really a shame at what happened to the Norman Landing residents. That is a really old development, one of the first on the Lake, which has been there for decades. To have a corporation come in and destroy their road for a store that nobody wants is almost a crime in my book. I have pretty much stopped shopping at HT anyway, because of their prices and their new plastic shopping carts are always filthy. This makes me want to follow the words of the sign and boycott them alltogether.

Obviously they have some pull with the NCDOT. It's really a shame at what happened to the Norman Landing residents. That is a really old development, one of the first on the Lake, which has been there for decades. To have a corporation come in and destroy their road for a store that nobody wants is almost a crime in my book. I have pretty much stopped shopping at HT anyway, because of their prices and their new plastic shopping carts are always filthy. This makes me want to follow the words of the sign and boycott them alltogether.

I certainly understand your point of view. No one in the local media will take a stand against them it seems. I have heard the VP of the company on local radio numerous times during severe weather come on the air and instead of saying "we're giving away some bread and water to people in the ice storm" all he spuots off is how many stores are open during the event. Making it seem like he is saying, "we know the weather is bad, but we're the only one open, so come here and buy bread in this crisis."

Another point you made is that nobody wanted another store there. I have lived in many areas of the country and have never seen a single chain accumulate so much square footage in a single city as Harris Teeter does. It's not like this is Atlanta or Dallas or something. Even cities three or four times Charlotte's size don't have 5 or 6 of the same grocery chain within 5 miles.

The plastic shopping cart thing is funny too. They seemed to have switched over to those which get dirtier easier than metal, and which have a LOT less room in them. And you're right the prices just keep shooting up...and what is crazier is people keep paying them because they THINK it's a better environment. News flash; HT still has teenagers up front who like any other teen would rather be somewhere else, and HT hires the same amount of non-English speaking employees that Food Lion or Wal Mart does (they just don't display them to the public sector)

HT's prices are high, but I just shrug it off as being cheaper than eating out.

I don't mind their pricing strategy. I'll pay a premium for a clean wide-aisled store, with fewer dumb and sloppy shoppers getting in the way. (Would probaby shop at Earth Faire more often if it wasn't 7 miles from me, and it's even more expensive.) What I just don't like is the "carpet every intersection to reduce choice" tactic.

I have to admit, though-- that lately I've been picking up things like peanuts and crackers at Dollar General. Those kinds of things have a long shelf life, and you don't need to pay HT's prices for them.

U got a date for Eastland's Harris Teeter closing?

no date as of yet, but HT has a habit of doing these things at the spur of the moment.

When they closed the Providence Square Store a few years back, I was told the store manager only received 2 days notice. Talk about being kept in the dark.

The problem with the Eastland store closing is that those people will all have to then drive to either Central Ave. or Margaret Wallace if they still want a job.

By the way Mint Hill averages only ~130k/wk

Archived