Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

• 1 month later...

Good news for Orlando Science Center. The $5M New KidsTown announced early last year is finally happening and construction will begin this summer. I was getting worried since there have been no updates on this. The update came in the latest issue of OSC's Scope magazine for members, so no link to the update. I think OSC is great and this project is just the beginning of their overall $30M renovation plan. We will have the best science center in the state. New KidsTown will now be complete "late 2016". Here is the original story:

http://bungalower.com/2015/01/26/orlando-science-center-begins-5m-new-kidstown-project/

OSC_NewKidsTown_Pg10wText_36x24.jpg

Edited by Pete C
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Pete C said:

Good news for Orlando Science Center. The $5M New KidsTown announced early last year is finally happening and construction will begin this summer. I was getting worried since there have been no updates on this. The update came in the latest issue of OSC's Scope magazine for members, so no link to the update. I think OSC is great and this project is just the beginning of their overall $30M renovation plan. We will have the best science center in the state. New KidsTown will now be complete "late 2016". Here is the original story:

http://bungalower.com/2015/01/26/orlando-science-center-begins-5m-new-kidstown-project/

I was there a week or two ago and saw that the new floor area that needed to be built was completed. It looks like they post the magazine online, but it hasn't been updated with the latest issue.  I love OSC, but the new Frost center in Miami will be amazing when it comes online. They've faced some funding and construction setbacks, so I'm not sure when the opening is projected. 

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

I was there a week or two ago and saw that the new floor area that needed to be built was completed. It looks like they post the magazine online, but it hasn't been updated with the latest issue.  I love OSC, but the new Frost center in Miami will be amazing when it comes online. They've faced some funding and construction setbacks, so I'm not sure when the opening is projected. 

Ah so Miami is getting a brand new science center. Oh well, I guess we won't be best. :tw_bawling:

Edited by Pete C

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^

there will be a stadium.  I personally spoke to reps from USTA at an open house at the Lake Nona Tennis Club and they had a diagram of the development.  Yeah, UCF's tennis will be based there they said.  it won't be US Open sized, but it will have seats.

They also plan to place a hotel on property in a later phase.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been following this development closely for several years. It is encouraging to see international investment in nanotechnology even before the completion of the Osceola facility:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/technology/os-icamr-europe-partner-imec-20160707-story.html

This is a potentially transformative project for Osceola County if the R&D gains traction.

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2016 at 3:47 PM, prahaboheme said:

I've been following this development closely for several years. It is encouraging to see international investment in nanotechnology even before the completion of the Osceola facility:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/technology/os-icamr-europe-partner-imec-20160707-story.html

This is a potentially transformative project for Osceola County if the R&D gains traction.

The "Florida Tech Farm" in Osceola continues to come together.

Perkins + Wills have released a few conceptual renderings:

gs-belgian-tech-leader-imec-opens-kissim

gs-belgian-tech-leader-imec-opens-kissim

• Like 1

17 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

It's also about a mile from downtown Kissimmee -- hopefully that will provide for an economic boost to the center.

This would be a great opportunity for a streetcar, something like Airport - Downtown Kissimmee/SunRail/Amtrak - Tech Farm - Downtown St. Cloud.

For the density and lifestyle places like this Tech Farm or Medical City are trying to achieve, they really need to look at transportation options sooner than later. The only project like this that comes close is Creative Village with the Lymmo/SunRail integration. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of young doctors and tech people wanting to move to Kissimmee or Lake Nona.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone familiar with the Winter Park Station project?  It sounds like a major mixed-use occupying several corners, if not all 6, of the 17-92 / Orange Avenue intersection.  Part of their plan is to make that intersection a major roundabout.  They have purchase about 2/3 of the acreage needed, including the old Lombardi's. I believe there was something in GrowthSpotter but I don't have access.

Edited by cwetteland

2 hours ago, cwetteland said:

Anyone familiar with the Winter Park Station project?  It sounds like a major mixed-use occupying several corners, if not all 6, of the 17-92 / Orange Avenue intersection.  Part of their plan is to make that intersection a major roundabout.  They have purchase about 2/3 of the acreage needed, including the old Lombardi's. I believe there was something in GrowthSpotter but I don't have access.

Here's the Bungalower story on this from last week.

Edited by uncreativeusername