Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

I pulled the scale up and put a green box around it.  You can see the distance for yourself.  It's 100% not urban.

I'm not sure which of the red boxes on the left are the new apartments, but those are the 2 open parcels that match the description she gave.

The weird shape on the right is the land of immediate development for the train station.  Last I heard, they hadn't decided where on that land the actual station was going to go.  That may be decided now, but I haven't seen anything.  You can see the tracks quite clearly.  The parking lot will be somewhere and it will have to connect to the Super Wal-Mart in some fashion, but I don't know specifics.

ETA: for those that aren't map savvy, there are 5,280 feet in a mile.  It's over 11,000 feet (2 miles+) from one location to the others.

post-21148-0-34743600-1421430544_thumb.j

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

Hmmm. Well I guess we all need a map because the master plan provided by the Deerfield clearly shows the primary TOD immediately adjacent to the SunRail station.

attachicon.gifdeerfield-land-master-plan-2014.pngattachicon.gifDeerfield Properties.jpg

Not really.   The project is either in the spot marked #6 or the one marked #5.

That's like saying UCF is walking distance to the 417.  SURE, you could walk it.  SURE, people do walk that far every day.  Should it be called walking distance?  NO.

Edited by HankStrong

According to the map posted by nite owl, the Deerfield development IS next to the Sunrail station.  All the confusion is because the Biz Journal article is incorrect.

The article is about an independent living facility called Monterey Pointe (a tiny part of the Deerfield development) which she INCREDIBLY SPECIFICALLY calls out as being at:

"The project site is on Greenwald Way North, near the north side of Osceola Parkway and east of John Young Parkway,"

That is on the far West end of Nite Owl's map.

Not really.   The project is either in the spot marked #6 or the one marked #5.

That's like saying UCF is walking distance to the 417.  SURE, you could walk it.  SURE, people do walk that far every day.  Should it be called walking distance?  NO.

Ahh, I see. I re-watched the video, the development mentioned for the Western side near SunRail were just future plans (apparently for marketing purposes) so that's what made everything so confusing... Yeah, def not walking distance.

Another nice infill project in Winter Park -- Winter Park Brownstones at Morse & Virginia:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2015/01/21/groundbreaking-set-for-new-winter-park-brownstones.html?s=image_gallery

phil-kean-winter-park-brownstones1*600xx

phil-kean-winter-park-brownstones2*600xx

Virtual tour:  http://waycoolrealestate.com/the-brownstones

Could Winter Park be turning into Orlando's version of Brooklyn?

Edited by prahaboheme

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Winter Garden today and noticed the Plant St Market / Crooked Can Brewing Co. building is nearly complete.  This is an absolutely stunning addition to downtown Winter Garden, proof that craftsmanship in design still exists especially where there is local will for these types of buildings.  Great job Winter Garden!

Plenty of construction updates on their FB page:  https://www.facebook.com/plantstmarket

• 3 weeks later...

Sand Lake Blvd @ Apopka Vineland: Some streetscaping work is underway in Dr Phillips at the intersection of Sand Lake and Apopka Vineland that includes red brick medians.  This is located near the new Trader Joes Unicorp development. 

Does anyone know if there are plans to update the entire stretch of Sand Lake Rd through Dr. Phillips (Restaurant Row)?  As this area has evolved over time, I think it warrants some attractive lighting, sidewalk improvements, and pedestrian enhancements.  This is no longer a typical stretch of suburbia but a legitimate destination. 

Only if it involves fixing it from Kirkman to Apopka Vineland.  Even though I work right on Kirkman, I almost never go to Restaurant Row because its so difficult to get through all the interchanges at Kirkman-Universal-IDrive-I4-I4-Turkey Lake.

Agreed.  The food is great but driving around there makes me want to blow my brains out

SIAP:  I didn't see any mention on here of the Maitland Station Apt proposal.  Looks similar in scope to the Maitland City Center Project.  This one a few blocks north, closer to the SunRail station.  Maitland Station.

Nice find. I heard about this one a couple weeks back, but no rendering. So many setbacks and cancellations in the development of Maitland...it's really infuriating. I hope this one makes it through.

Edited by Pete C

Sand Lake Blvd @ Apopka Vineland: Some streetscaping work is underway in Dr Phillips at the intersection of Sand Lake and Apopka Vineland that includes red brick medians.  This is located near the new Trader Joes Unicorp development. 

Does anyone know if there are plans to update the entire stretch of Sand Lake Rd through Dr. Phillips (Restaurant Row)?  As this area has evolved over time, I think it warrants some attractive lighting, sidewalk improvements, and pedestrian enhancements.  This is no longer a typical stretch of suburbia but a legitimate destination. 

My dad talked to the county about this.  The bricking of the median is something Unicorp did to get approval, along with a new U-turn lane west of TJ's.  Sandpointe owns the road teeeing off of Sand Lake and TJ's is paying them for it.  My understanding is they promised a lot of things that they haven't done yet, and Sandpointe was thinking about closing their access.  As for the curbed medians, I anticipate a serious drainage problem at SandLake and APV.  The old median collected the drainage, now with the curb and lack of flumes all that water goes down the the Apopka Vineland intersection in the valley where the cars will be turning left.  Orange County has no immediate plans to do any other road improvements in the Dr. Phillips area other than putting a light at the Rialto.

As far as the area east of Turkey Lake Road, there's no plans to widen that either (its a state road).  There's some planned roadway improvements when the new I-4 ramps go in, but that's part of the beyond ultimate plan.  So 2025 at the earliest.   

Sidenote:  When is McDonald's scheduled to come down?   The bought the Mobil station years ago to put the new Worlds Largest there, and with Skytower going up, and virtually every other Burger King, Wendy's, and McDonald's being demo'ed you'd think this one should be coming down soon. 

Edited by codypet