Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

It's surprising to me that these companies aren't targeting downtown as a recruitment tool. I would much rather work for a tech company surrounded by other tech companies in an urban area than in these orphaned projects removed from the core.

Surprised it's so hard to convince companies to go after something like CV.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I wonder what that big open cube portion on the upper left corner of the building is for.

I believe its a multipurpose rec room that could be basketball, volleyball, or other events that could be held in a school gymnasium.

HostDime used to be downtown, and then in Research Park. Both are good spots for tech companies. This location seems like a poor choice to me 

Edited by aent

16 hours ago, castorvx said:

It's surprising to me that these companies aren't targeting downtown as a recruitment tool. I would much rather work for a tech company surrounded by other tech companies in an urban area than in these orphaned projects removed from the core.

Surprised it's so hard to convince companies to go after something like CV.

Those poor techies are gonna be hungry with no where to go eat conveniently and sitting at a horrible intersection already, not to mention under construction at Lee/Wymore. Such a poor choice of location, you said it best Aent. OCPS held on for so long, and then sold out for this. Dumb. What's funny is most are gonna live downtown somewhere and have to drive the I-4 horror back n forth. Good luck with that.

9 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Those poor techies are gonna be hungry with no where to go eat conveniently and sitting at a horrible intersection already, not to mention under construction at Lee/Wymore. Such a poor choice of location, you said it best Aent. OCPS held on for so long, and then sold out for this. Dumb. What's funny is most are gonna live downtown somewhere and have to drive the I-4 horror back n forth. Good luck with that.

From the look of the building and the sound of this company, it might be one of those companies that either feeds their employees for free or has a fancy-shmancy employee cafeteria with all kinds of trendy, health conscious, low cholesterol, gluten free, nutritionally balanced meals at discount prices. 

If not, last I remember, there was a Denny's across Lee Road. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2015, 9:18:39, prahaboheme said:

Fate of $65M Mosaic project near Kissimmee Sunrail station to be decided soon

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2015/11/65m-mosaic-development-near-kissimmees-sunrail.html

This development was approved yesterday by Kissimmee City Commission.

Here are the details:

- 287 apartments

- 120 room hotel

- 15,000 square feet retail space

- 2 parking structures

- 16 townhomes

- Near the future SunRail station; across the street from the new Lakefront Park

KISS-LAKEFRONT_PARK-.transf.jpg 

More renderings here:  http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2015/12/kissimmee-oks-mosaics-65m-residential-retail.html

• Like 2

Does Winter Park have its own sub now? Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Here's some recent Winter Park news-

Ross, Home Goods planned for former Kmart plaza. The plaza is also looking to get a major modern update.

The Burger King is still closed after its fire.

The Subway has officially moved to the new location a few blocks south on 17/92.

Some fancy, Phil Kean style modern doctor's office is going in just north of Canopy Cafe. Very odd location for it.

Rollins got approval for its new daycare center on the corner of Holt and New York. The current building will be demo'd soon.

The bowling alley is all but gone, the new fields should be ready by Fall 16.

A few smaller things as well in the Hannibal Sq area. Overall lots of new growth in the area.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I got a thing in the mail saying a new mixed-use development is looking to go into the southeast corner of Lee and 17/92. Up Developments wants to incorporate it into the larger Whole Foods right there as well. 

The new development includes a parking structure, offices above retail with a corner restaurant spot. On the southern end of the development, they have plans for a multi-story hotel, looked to be around 4 if my memory serves me correctly. If I had to guess I'd expect some type of business hotel. Oddly enough Unicorp has proposed a similar sized business hotel as part of the Mt Vernon project at Lakeside Crossing but as the project went through approval the hotel part was canned.

This is directly across the Ravadage project where TR's just opened. On the other corner, you have Flemings and the K-Mart plaza that's getting a remodel. A Zoe's Kitchen is going in there along with Home Goods, Ross and some other generic chains. (Sadly still no place to buy basic toiletries that Publix or Walgreens doesn't sell)

The flyer development seems include demo'ing the office building at the location. I recall a few years ago someone tried to put a bank in there with a drive thru, it was voted down. This new development seems right in line with what Winter Park has been pushing lately. Modern, upscale dense micro developments; Lakeside and its neighbor being built across the street. (side note- I'm still not convinced Chuy's is right for that location. Rollins kids will love it but is Chuy's what people seek out in Winter Park?). 

In other quick WP news - New York Ave is now closed between Lyman and Fairbanks. That streetscape project will eventually redo the street from Fairbanks to Morse (sadly and tellingly the West Meadow and the Post Office section of New York aren't included in the modernizing of the street). 

• Like 2

Im crossing my fingers that this tournament comes to Orlando. This will take the city to the next level in international exposure. For non-tennis fans, this is our equilavent to Orlando hosting the NBA all stars, EVERY YEAR. With the construction of the new USTA facility and headquarter in Lake Nona, Orlando may have a chance.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TEN_MIAMI_OPEN_FUTURE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-12-30-14-24-40

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I thought we had a Winter Park thread - couldn't find it.

‘Ultra luxury’ townhomes on tap for Winter Park’s Park Avenue

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2016/01/ultra-luxury-townhomes-on-tap-for-winter-park-s.html

We really need a WP thread. I'd venture to say there's more action happening right now in WP than almost anywhere else in the region.

Of interesting note, my building and few others along New England Ave here in Hannibal Sq were recently bought by Owens from Sydgan (Dan Bellows). My guess is Bellows is looking to get some quick cash for a new project somewhere in the city. Ravadage just isn't performing like he seemed to imagine it would. His latest project is the steeple on the wedding chapel, a small project but one that will help make the area by the Farmers Market all the more charming. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, klstorey said:

We really need a WP thread. I'd venture to say there's more action happening right now in WP than almost anywhere else in the region.

Of interesting note, my building and few others along New England Ave here in Hannibal Sq were recently bought by Owens from Sydgan (Dan Bellows). My guess is Bellows is looking to get some quick cash for a new project somewhere in the city. Ravadage just isn't performing like he seemed to imagine it would. His latest project is the steeple on the wedding chapel, a small project but one that will help make the area by the Farmers Market all the more charming. 

Oh really? Any retail he sell? I just can't bring myself to do business with a person that awful.

4 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I'd say this new townhouse development is about as good or better than any other townhouse project in the entire state.

WP continues to raise the bar.  When I first looked at the rendering, I seriously thought, "Is this a proposal for South Kensington?"

I'm not really in love with the mansard roof style, but I do like the rest of it. Especially the exterior materials. Particularly the brick on the second floor.

On 1/15/2016 at 2:46 PM, klstorey said:

It looks like there is an option to start a new topic.  Be the change you want to see in the world. 

Edited by Jernigan

On December 16, 2015 at 2:35 AM, klstorey said:

Does Winter Park have its own sub now? Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Here's some recent Winter Park news-

Ross, Home Goods planned for former Kmart plaza. The plaza is also looking to get a major modern update.

The Burger King is still closed after its fire.

The Subway has officially moved to the new location a few blocks south on 17/92.

Some fancy, Phil Kean style modern doctor's office is going in just north of Canopy Cafe. Very odd location for it.

Rollins got approval for its new daycare center on the corner of Holt and New York. The current building will be demo'd soon.

The bowling alley is all but gone, the new fields should be ready by Fall 16.

A few smaller things as well in the Hannibal Sq area. Overall lots of new growth in the area.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Here is the doctors office building u\c in WP:

http://www.thedailycity.com/2015/12/modern-wood-clad-doctors-office-coming.html?m=1

The ground floor is just begging for a cafe!

Edited by prahaboheme

The way they put that odd, angled white line across the top left corner of the rendering, which also follows the angle of the top edge of the building facade the same way a roof fascia would, makes it look like there's a flat roof on the building and that you're looking at the underside of the overhang.

I wonder what the purpose of that line is. All it seems to do is divide the sky in the background.

Good looking building, though.

• 1 month later...

Drove from Sanford to Winter Park today along 17/92.  There are quite a number of projects along that corridor u/c.

In Casselberry, they are developing that tract near the HD and across Target- may be the back side of the town center near their city center.

In Maitland, the mixed use by Sunrail.

In Maitland, the city center at Horatio.

In Winter Park, the Whole Foods center.

In Winter Park, the Unicorp project across Trader Joes.

I think there's more.  I left out Ravaudage.