Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

No.  Imagine the Monorail breaking down with no AC.

Frequently when the monorail breaks down the AC goes out with it, and I've been there with the AC out on the monorails, thats part of the reason a lot of people say they need replacement.

I don't think it will be any worse then walking around in the sun for 5 minutes in the park, or the 5 minute+ walk from the stop exit into the park on the way to your first ride. I have a golf cart, put the windshield folded down, even when its 100 out, its plenty enjoyable to ride outside.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

The high in Medellin today is/was 71 degrees Fahrenheit.  It was 95 today in Orlando.

I mean day by day they probably vary. A better metric to use would be the daily mean temperature. Orlando and Santo Domingo both have pretty similar daily mean temperatures, and Santo Domingo’s record highs are high than ours.

1 hour ago, WAJAS98 said:

I mean day by day they probably vary. A better metric to use would be the daily mean temperature. Orlando and Santo Domingo both have pretty similar daily mean temperatures, and Santo Domingo’s record highs are high than ours.

My point is that Orlando is muggy hot most of the year.  These other places where these gondolas may be are not.  I just don’t think that non- A/C philosophy translates well to Orlando.

1 hour ago, aent said:

Frequently when the monorail breaks down the AC goes out with it, and I've been there with the AC out on the monorails, thats part of the reason a lot of people say they need replacement.

I don't think it will be any worse then walking around in the sun for 5 minutes in the park, or the 5 minute+ walk from the stop exit into the park on the way to your first ride. I have a golf cart, put the windshield folded down, even when its 100 out, its plenty enjoyable to ride outside.

I don’t see these gondola rides lasting only 5 minutes.  And, if you walk outside in the sun on a hot day for 5 minutes, it is hot as hell.  The gondola ride will be like getting into a car that the sun has been beating down on and riding in it after that with no A/C.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I don’t see these gondola rides lasting only 5 minutes.  And, if you walk outside in the sun on a hot day for 5 minutes, it is hot as hell.  The gondola ride will be like getting into a car that the sun has been beating down on and riding in it after that with no A/C.

It does have a ventilation system, so the air temperature should be the same as outside, not at all like a getting into a car sitting in the sun with the windows up. And if walking outside for 5 minutes in the sun is too much for you, you're choosing the wrong activity going to Disney World. I'm sure Disney thought about what the temperature will be. And these gondola rides last only 5 minutes at the max, you may need to take 2 (transfer) to get to your destination, so a total of 10 minutes with a short break between them is the longest trip from all indications of the length of path and normal speeds of gondolas..

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:43 PM, aent said:

It does have a ventilation system, so the air temperature should be the same as outside, not at all like a getting into a car sitting in the sun with the windows up. And if walking outside for 5 minutes in the sun is too much for you, you're choosing the wrong activity going to Disney World. I'm sure Disney thought about what the temperature will be. And these gondola rides last only 5 minutes at the max, you may need to take 2 (transfer) to get to your destination, so a total of 10 minutes with a short break between them is the longest trip from all indications of the length of path and normal speeds of gondolas..

a car in the hot sun has a ventilation system too:  opening the window while in drive.  It's still hot and muggy and sweaty though...?

Look, I ain't buying it.  Disney went on the cheap on this.  Our mean temperature is nowhere near as low as any place in the US which is north of us or even that city in Colombia that has a similar gondola system.  It's all good, but I think it's a problem; maybe not to a sweaty tourist leaving the parks.

People are people and people sweat at Disney- all of them.  Tourists don't that have different endothermic body processes than the rest of us.  And if "too hot" was a factor in whether a tourist decided to come to Orlando, then tourism would dry completely up in Orlando.  Are you kidding?  People wait in long lines in the sun and they don't care b/c they're on vacation.  They get sunburned, sweat, dehydrate, etc., just for a chance to see Mickey or ride Small World, for instance.

Don't the Disney boats have A/C?  Yes.  boats, busses, Monorail- except for the small shuttle boats at Seven Seas and at Diz Springs...

C'mon, Aent, stop being a PR guy for WDW on this one.  LOL.

40 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

C'mon, Aent, stop being a PR guy for WDW on this one.  LOL.

I'm just trying to be realistic on this. Would I prefer if Disney had AC on this? Yes. But honestly I'm more annoyed about the amount of the area in the park without shade, and queue without AC. Considering all of the non-AC'd areas of the park and experience, I just don't see this as any kind of big deal, especially for such a short ride.

Its been a long time since I've been on the transport boats at disney, but I don't recall AC on them either, or at least it wasn't functional or realistic. Also, I would far prefer the Gondola without AC to the bus system with AC, especially as its expected to reduce the transport time significantly and is much "cooler"

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Generally, if it's south of Sand Lake (and even a block or two North depending on where you are), it's in the county. 

That's assuming Uni doesn't have a desire to be annexed.

Ahhhh.  interesting dynamic about potential deals to be annexed...

2 hours ago, aent said:

I'm just trying to be realistic on this. Would I prefer if Disney had AC on this? Yes. But honestly I'm more annoyed about the amount of the area in the park without shade, and queue without AC. Considering all of the non-AC'd areas of the park and experience, I just don't see this as any kind of big deal, especially for such a short ride.

Its been a long time since I've been on the transport boats at disney, but I don't recall AC on them either, or at least it wasn't functional or realistic. Also, I would far prefer the Gondola without AC to the bus system with AC, especially as its expected to reduce the transport time significantly and is much "cooler"

Yeah, the boats have A/C cranking.

I'm just bummed b/c I wanted to joyride w/o sweating on those gondolas.  I do agree that other stuff- non A/C queue's, etc...

21 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Ahhhh.  interesting dynamic about potential deals to be annexed...

Yeah, the boats have A/C cranking.

I'm just bummed b/c I wanted to joyride w/o sweating on those gondolas.  I do agree that other stuff- non A/C queue's, etc...

TBH, as a local, I would never go to any of the theme parks during the summer season. I typically will only go October-early December or January-April. We have easy choice/flexbility, don't need the days to be together, etc. As your Disney PR person, I'm telling you to skip those hottest months of the year lol

Also, I do hope they tint the actual vehicle windows heavily to try to keep some heat out. Unlike vehicles, there should be no restrictions on the type of tint, or in the case of a vehicle's front windshield, a ban on tinting entirely. The windows on my house don't let in near the heat the windows on my vehicle let in, the treatment on modern home windows is amazing.

Edited by aent
  • Haha 1

Chuck Witall gave some updates on his I-Drive projects (Icon Orlando/Wyndham):

- will have the "world's tallest double slingshot ride" on the I-Drive south side

- will have a "tower of terror" style drop down, that will also be the "world's tallest" of its kind, this will be on Universal Blvd, replacing existing surface parking lots

- That area will also include a "powered zip line" and numerous smaller attractions

- Construction to begin mid-2019, open in phases through 2021

- 2 new hotel towers at the Wyndham adding 800 rooms and tripling the ballroom space at the hotel

- Blake Shelton is also building a celerity restaurant "Ole Red"

- 165 room Element Hotel at site of former McFaddens is supposed to start construction at the end of the year

• Like 2

9 hours ago, aent said:

- will have the "world's tallest double slingshot ride" on the I-Drive south side

- will have a "tower of terror" style drop down, that will also be the "world's tallest" of its kind, this will be on Universal Blvd, replacing existing surface parking lots

- That area will also include a "powered zip line" and numerous smaller attractions

- 2 new hotel towers at the Wyndham adding 800 rooms and tripling the ballroom space at the hotel

- 165 room Element Hotel at site of former McFaddens is supposed to start construction at the end of the year

that Wyndham always has shows booked.  They lost CEO b/c they needed more space- Ocean Center gave them a better deal than OCCC so they went to Daytona this year.

Anyway, those 2-story detached buildings at Wyndham are ridiculous.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aent said:

I don't trust Witall.
I'll believe it when it happens. Count me out!

6 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I don't trust Witall.
I'll believe it when it happens. Count me out!

Interesting. I had always thought Chuck was one of our most successful local developers. Does he bite off more than he can chew every now and then? Yep, but that's sort of the nature of the beast.

I guess it shows there are more than a few opinions here at UP Orlando contrary to a recently held opinion - yay us!

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Interesting. I had always thought Chuck was one of our most successful local developers. Does he bite off more than he can chew every now and then? Yep, but that's sort of the nature of the beast.

I guess it shows there are more than a few opinions here at UP Orlando contrary to a recently held opinion - yay us!

My fault.  I meant Wallack. Sorry

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

My fault.  I meant Wallack. Sorry

yeah.  I've also wondered.  For instance, why is the Hollywood Plaza Garage still not open?  They could've been collecting money from parking all this time.  It doesn't hurt them that the Hulkster store isn't there yet b/c that's a wash as it's currently on one of their other properties.

When they got their approval from Orange Co a few years back Chuck was there in support.  Their attorneys were smug about their big victory against Universal.  Except that it was only on paper.  Since then, Starflyer has gone up, Aventura has been built, and the two WetnWild Universal hotels have either been u/c or had sitework ongoing just up the street.

I wish them well, but they were on that inaugural Emirates flight to Dubai for a reason:  investors.  Even Arabic oil tycoons with deep pockets analyze investment opportunities as being good or risky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1