Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A review of Aventura from Theme Park Insider:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201808/6231/

So, the railings are glass panels.  they keep the lights on.  how do you get rid of the glare if you want to snap or just look out over Comcast's Empire?  They've got to dim the lights, or, go before sundown I reckon.

• Like 2

The AMC at CityWalk is switching to Cinemark and will be getting a big upgrade:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/08/17/universal-orlandos-cinemark-theater-is-getting-a-massive-remodel

From Orlando Weekly

Interesting bit of history: the AMC was originally a Loew's, who also operate UOR's hotels. It changed flags when the latter sold its theaters to AMC. In the theme park business, loyalty is fleeting.

According to the article, Disney places a $12k/yr value on its free park-passes for every entry-level worker.

I feel so, so sorry for anyone who prefers free passes, rather than an extra $12k/yr in income.

Those people really don't stand a chance in life.

Some may call it a great idea.  I call it total exploitation.  

Just my opinion.  Others will surely disagree.

1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

According to the article, Disney places a $12k/yr value on its free park-passes for every entry-level worker.

I feel so, so sorry for anyone who prefers free passes, rather than an extra $12k/yr in income.

Those people really don't stand a chance in life.

Some may call it a great idea.  I call it total exploitation.  

Just my opinion.  Others will surely disagree.

I tried to google if anyone else uses that number for what Disney places as its value for and that article is the lone result. I have a feeling they accidentally added a 0 and it was meant to be $1,200, or alternatively that was the total value of the entire "benefits" package. The retail cost of the parks perks free tickets/benefits is $3629. Obviously $12,000 for 16 tickets is ridiculous. Only other thing I can think of is they're declaring it that way for some tax reasons.

Obviously the intention of perks, in general, is to entice people to work for you and provide a service that would cost you less then it would cost them (either as a result of you being a provider of said service, or through bulk discounts)

Back in Anaheim, the Orange County Register discusses Disney's decision to halt a 4-star resort at Disneyland after the city council pulled tax incentives previously approved.

What I found interesting in the article was a breakdown of just how iffy the economics of a luxury hotel are these days relative to one with fewer amenities.

OC, California, of course, is dealing with a market similar to ours, but with much more limited space since our attractions area has much more open land still readily available.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/17/disney-had-no-choice-but-to-pull-back-plans-for-anaheim-luxury-hotel/amp/

New, expanded park entrances coming to all four WDW gates and pics of DHS main entrance/parking construction:

From WDW Magic

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disneys-hollywood-studios/news/17aug2018-improvements-coming-to-the-entrances-of-all-four-walt-disney-world-theme-parks.htm

Also, details about new restaurants/bars at Caribbean Beach Resort, especially Sebastian's Bistro:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2018/08/15/disney-worlds-caribbean-beach-resort-dining-update-new-sebastians-bistro-and-more/

From Disney Food Blog

• Like 2

I was over at Universal's new hotness Sunday mid-day.  The rooftop bar doesn't open 'till 4pm.  I noticed that part of the tower is directly above lounge areas, an outdoor bar, and part of the pool.  Very Citicorp Center-ish.  Impressive use of space.  I'm sure the ambiance at night is spectacular.  I haven't read Spencer1058's article post yet on WDW stuff...

20180819_123026.jpg

20180819_123048.jpg

20180819_123242.jpg

20180819_123258.jpg

20180819_123516.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, spenser1058 said:

New, expanded park entrances coming to all four WDW gates and pics of DHS main entrance/parking construction:

From WDW Magic

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disneys-hollywood-studios/news/17aug2018-improvements-coming-to-the-entrances-of-all-four-walt-disney-world-theme-parks.htm

Also, details about new restaurants/bars at Caribbean Beach Resort, especially Sebastian's Bistro:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2018/08/15/disney-worlds-caribbean-beach-resort-dining-update-new-sebastians-bistro-and-more/

From Disney Food Blog

So, my best bud checked the wait times for Avatar Banshee ride on Sunday (now that Toy Story Land has opened) and the wait times went down to 78min...better than 210min...

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 7:54 PM, aent said:

I tried to google if anyone else uses that number for what Disney places as its value for and that article is the lone result. I have a feeling they accidentally added a 0 and it was meant to be $1,200, or alternatively that was the total value of the entire "benefits" package. The retail cost of the parks perks free tickets/benefits is $3629. Obviously $12,000 for 16 tickets is ridiculous. Only other thing I can think of is they're declaring it that way for some tax reasons.

Obviously the intention of perks, in general, is to entice people to work for you and provide a service that would cost you less then it would cost them (either as a result of you being a provider of said service, or through bulk discounts)

Aent, you may be right.  I certainly hope so.  It would be a shame (and rather stupid, quite honestly) if Disney workers are leaving $1,000/month on the table.  

I have emailed the writer of the article for clarification.  I'll let you know when he gets back to me. 

It really is $12k/year.   The response from the LA Times Business Writer:

It was not a typo. Disney explained that each new employee gets to visit the park 16 days each year and get passes for up to three additional family members. So, that comes out to 64 park hopper tickets, each valued at $185. My editors didn't want to spend the space to explain this.
Thanks for reading.

Hugo Martín
Business Writer
Los Angeles Times
2300 E. Imperial Highway
El Segundo, CA
Office: 213 237-7986
Cell: 213 220-8907

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, WAJAS98 said:

They want to do it isn’t the area immediately east of its interchange with Kirkman, which directly abuts their newly purchased property.

Did this start yet?

http://www.cflroads.com/project/407143-5/SR_482_Sand_Lake_Road_from_West_of_Universal_Boulevard_to_West_of_SR_423_John_Young_Parkway

The project limits seem to be from east of I-4 (that interchange being a part of I-4 Beyond the Ultimate starting in a couple years) to the Turnpike for the widening.

16 minutes ago, aent said:

Did this start yet?

http://www.cflroads.com/project/407143-5/SR_482_Sand_Lake_Road_from_West_of_Universal_Boulevard_to_West_of_SR_423_John_Young_Parkway

The project limits seem to be from east of I-4 (that interchange being a part of I-4 Beyond the Ultimate starting in a couple years) to the Turnpike for the widening.

Yes from wha I Can tell Sand Lake will get 'The Makeover' from West of Turnpike to I4

Yes, its already started and they're building it.   If they're slick they'll hire the contractor out there doing the work once the get the permit and do it as a change order.  The plans submitted to the WMD are unique in that they appear to be addenda to the plans of the widening already.   I will say their inlet placement in the driveways is a little unusual.

Is this Sand Lake project related to the proposed pedestrian bridge at Sand Lake/International - or would it expedite it?  The bridge would provide better traffic flow by eliminating foot-traffic.

Also, a cool pedestrian bridge would be a nice addition - designwise - for the area.  It would set a tone for nearby development.

Pedestrian bridges can be iconic (like the new bike path over Colonial).  The I-4 Ultimate pedestrian bridge in Maitland is supposed to be a show-stoppper when completed.  It will feature a large Maitland sign similar to the Orlando sign at Conroy/Millenia.

3 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Is this Sand Lake project related to the proposed pedestrian bridge at Sand Lake/International - or would it expedite it?  The bridge would provide better traffic flow by eliminating foot-traffic.

Also, a cool pedestrian bridge would be a nice addition - designwise - for the area.  It would set a tone for nearby development.

Pedestrian bridges can be iconic (like the new bike path over Colonial).  The I-4 Ultimate pedestrian bridge in Maitland is supposed to be a show-stoppper when completed.  It will feature a large Maitland sign similar to the Orlando sign at Conroy/Millenia.

this is east of the Kirkman Road interchange I believe, b/c that's where Universal's property is located.  The pedestrian bridge is at I-Drive...