Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

CBS All Access is rolling out two more Trek series this fall, including one featuring a return of Sir Patrick Stewart. If they have legs, a Trek land in Uni's new park might make a lot of sense:

https://deadline.com/2018/08/patrick-stewart-star-new-star-trek-series-jean-luc-picard-cbs-all-access-1202440156/amp/

From Deadline

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

In fairness to SeaWorld, its stock shot up 17% today on increased attendance figures and revenue.

You know, CNN played Blackfish and had a serious hard on for SeaWorld and Orcas, but, so far, I haven't seen or heard any drama about Disney's new Animal Kingdom night hours.  So, for the first 17 years of it's operation, it had to close at sundown for the animals' health.  What, did they evolve?  How do they justify that now?   How many networks does Disney own?  Oh, wait...

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

You know, CNN played Blackfish and had a serious hard on for SeaWorld and Orcas, but, so far, I haven't seen or heard any drama about Disney's new Animal Kingdom night hours.  So, for the first 17 years of it's operation, it had to close at sundown for the animals' health.  What, did they evolve?  How do they justify that now?   How many networks does Disney own?  Oh, wait...

The truth is, that was more an excuse to cover up the fact it was a half-day park more than anything else. Other than being cautious about pyrotechnics, that was never really a thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The truth is, that was more an excuse to cover up the fact it was a half-day park more than anything else. Other than being cautious about pyrotechnics, that was never really a thing.

I did Kilimanjaro Safari at night. 

Pitch black dark. 

"Over there...that tall shadowy thingy...that's a giraffe."   

I have to admit, it was pretty cool, because during the day it was:

00602547062253-cover-zoom.jpg

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Wait...Animal Kingdom has nighttime hours now??!!  

Boycott all things Disney!  Boycott!!

11 hours ago, shardoon said:

So that new 1000+ room hotel on westwood is really perking my interest. The lot scrapped is rather small for a 1000+ room hotel. Is this thing gonna be a 50 story tower?? 

Can someone google image this lot? The lot I see them doing construction on everyday I thought was for the small Hilton. I'm now confused.

2 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Can someone google image this lot? The lot I see them doing construction on everyday I thought was for the small Hilton. I'm now confused.

https://maps.ocpafl.org/webmapjs/?pid=282412965500022

hit base map, aerial 2018, which property got cleared? there appears to be both a 1200 room hotel approved along with a 311 room hotel on 2 different parcels next to each other on westwood

Edit to add:

Permit filed seems to indicate on the parcel labeled EDG hospitality orlando convention center "New Construction of 8 story hotel with 259 guestrooms, swimming pool, amenities, lobby and administrative areas with surface parking. "

Is that the one going?

Empire Eq appears to have a permit for a 12 story 299 room hotel, and the DCS Real Estate Investments has the 1200 room hotel.

Edited by aent

7 hours ago, aent said:

hit base map, aerial 2018, which property got cleared? there appears to be both a 1200 room hotel approved along with a 311 room hotel on 2 different parcels next to each other on westwood

Edit to add:

Permit filed seems to indicate on the parcel labeled EDG hospitality orlando convention center "New Construction of 8 story hotel with 259 guestrooms, swimming pool, amenities, lobby and administrative areas with surface parking. "

Is that the one going?

Empire Eq appears to have a permit for a 12 story 299 room hotel, and the DCS Real Estate Investments has the 1200 room hotel.

That would make much more sense. So I guess the 1200 room hotel never broke ground yet.

8 hours ago, aent said:

Edit to add:

Is that the one going?

Based on this information you provided and what I see daily it looks as if EDG is the one that has broken ground or skorman but 99% sure it's the EDG.

An interesting Fun Fact from Theme Park Insider:

UOR's proposed fourth gate near OCCC is no further from Uni's first two parks than DAK is from the next closest WDW park.

Of course, the challenge for Comcast is that the property is not contiguous. And of course, DAK access to the rest of WDW is strictly by motor coach.  That may not bode well for Uniif you were hoping for some exotic transit system between their legacy parks and the newbie.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201808/6229/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shardoon said:

I no longer believe the 1200 room hotel has any real financing behind it and may just be a concept. I passed by it today and there is a sign on the land looking for investors in a "project" 

Fret not, because DCS is also currently building the JW Marriott in Bonnett Creek.  They’ve got the resources.  This is no different than when Hilton Orlando was being built at the same time as Hilton Waldorf Bonnett Creek by the same group back in ‘09ish.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Based on this information you provided and what I see daily it looks as if EDG is the one that has broken ground or skorman but 99% sure it's the EDG.

Skorman appears to not have anything approved (but no address is listed so I could be wrong on that), so it must be EDG.

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

An interesting Fun Fact from Theme Park Insider:

UOR's proposed fourth gate near OCCC is no further from Uni's first two parks than DAK is from the next closest WDW park.

Of course, the challenge for Comcast is that the property is not contiguous. And of course, DAK access to the rest of WDW is strictly by motor coach.  That may not bode well for Uniif you were hoping for some exotic transit system between their legacy parks and the newbie.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201808/6229/

While its not completely contiguous, Universal does seem to once again own land on at least one side of Universal Blvd on most of the path down to their new campus. If Universal wants to avoid bus transportation, I believe they can. The question, to me, is Universal willing to put a huge amount of money upfront to develop a mass transit system, or go the safer route  with buses. They can get a route for some sort of mass transit approved within the ROW and their property if they want to.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, aent said:

While its not completely contiguous, Universal does seem to once again own land on at least one side of Universal Blvd on most of the path down to their new campus. If Universal wants to avoid bus transportation, I believe they can. The question, to me, is Universal willing to put a huge amount of money upfront to develop a mass transit system, or go the safer route  with buses. They can get a route for some sort of mass transit approved within the ROW and their property if they want to.

Considering Volcano Bay uses buses just to stay on campus, I feel like they're gonna stick with busses.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aent said:

Skorman appears to not have anything approved (but no address is listed so I could be wrong on that), so it must be EDG.

From that original Google map image someone posted a few weeks back, the parcel in question looks like it's the one adjacent to those two white office buildings you see from I-4 where Orlando CVB once had or still have their offices.  The smaller project(s) are closer to or adjacent to the bridge over 528.

Starflyer is attracting major crowds.  The cue is literally elbow to elbow all the way to the building.  At least on Friday and Saturday night.  This bodes well for Skyplex I think because they can point to Starflyer's success when trying to get a construction loan and trying to sign leases.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Starflyer is attracting major crowds.  The cue is literally elbow to elbow all the way to the building.  At least on Friday and Saturday night.  This bodes well for Skyplex I think because they can point to Starflyer's success when trying to get a construction loan and trying to sign leases.

Allegedly I-Drive 360 (or icon or whatever they're calling it now) has the empty space on the southwest corner slated for another higher-rise  thrill attraction as well. I know that wing of the plaza hasn't been doing as hot as people don't walk down that way due to lack of attractions, the few retail spots there are a bit of a revolving door of businesses. They've been quiet on that for some time though so I don't know if that fell through.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, aent said:

Allegedly I-Drive 360 (or icon or whatever they're calling it now) has the empty space on the southwest corner slated for another higher-rise  thrill attraction as well. I know that wing of the plaza hasn't been doing as hot as people don't walk down that way due to lack of attractions, the few retail spots there are a bit of a revolving door of businesses. They've been quiet on that for some time though so I don't know if that fell through.

so they're dumping the prior proposed skydiving attraction?  Skydive Dubai?