Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

well this is funny, I just glanced through all the pages, didnt take the time to read too much, just looking at the maps. And the funny part that I came across is the next expansion of the LRTs after it reaches the oceanfront is going to be both ways to NOB....so it looks like all the arguing and debating which route we thought would be better doesnt matter.

It looks like for the short term, the Peninsula looks like it will get the shaft when it comes to LRT because they would get it around the third expansion....which is going to be a long time away. I am curious if there are any plans along the Peninsula to step up this plan for their own sake. We havent heard much from that area, the southside has always seemed to treat that area like it was a nonplayer in the region.

Anyway, it looks like some ambitious plans, it is really nice to see HRT thinking regionally with how it wishes to deal with the future of transportation in the region.

Would you be willing to add your comments to our blog post on the Draft Plan?: http://hrpartnership.blogspot.com/2009/02/...ads-region.html

some of the population projections are a little unsettling...they are planning for a lot of growth in this area. just a wild guess from what i glossed over, the numbers for expected job growth were relatively low, kind of like less than a new office complex in most corridors. maybe that was overly conservative? or rather growth is expected outside of the corridors?

I have posted my response to the Draft plan on by blog. It was much to long to put on this forum. Please visit my blog and read my response at http://www.757hr.com

some of the population projections are a little unsettling...they are planning for a lot of growth in this area. just a wild guess from what i glossed over, the numbers for expected job growth were relatively low, kind of like less than a new office complex in most corridors. maybe that was overly conservative? or rather growth is expected outside of the corridors?

When they do these reports, they are supposed to try and make it work with conservative numbers. the more liberal your projections, the higher rate of failure that you have.

Extensive Transit plan for Hampton Roads

Transportation planners have drafted a long-term blueprint for public transit in the region, including enhanced bus service, expanded light rail, and new ferry and commuter rail service.

The "Transit Vision Plan for Hampton Roads," released Thursday, does not offer price tags or ways to pay for the projects. Costs and ridership estimates will be developed over the next several months.

Current transit offerings have been called skeletal by Hampton Roads Transit's president, Michael Townes. Many buses run only hourly, and large chunks of the region are not served.

The new plan is far more extensive than anything discussed in the past.

The core of the proposal is a light-rail network in the urban areas supported by express bus and bus rapid transit - buses that run on dedicated lanes - in the suburban areas. Commuter rail would bring workers from the suburbs to the commercial cores, and intercity passenger rail would connect Hampton Roads to Richmond and beyond.

This is far more extensive than I thought it would be. Especially the addition of commuter rail to Richmond, didn't really see that one coming.

Extensive Transit plan for Hampton Roads

This is far more extensive than I thought it would be. Especially the addition of commuter rail to Richmond, didn't really see that one coming.

Most commuter rails usually extend at least 50 miles from the CBD, for downtown and towncenter that would extend past Camden County down to Moyock to the south and past downtown Suffolk to the West.

I've never really thought of this region ever being that we'll connected but it sure is possible!

In regards to the comment about population growth...

Craney Island is hoping to employ 54,000+ not to mention those working indirectly due to Craney...distribution centers, etc.

Craney has the potential to be as vital to the region as NOB is. Which would completely diversify our major employment base.

There is also huge hopes for ODU and NSU to become major universities and major employers as well.

I would guess based on these two examples alone that the area could grow in both export employment (jobs bringing in money from outside the region) and local employment (jobs in place to service the new needs of both export and new local employees alike)....would grow to 100,000.

Not to mention other sectors of our economy...

Not that I am a die-hard for population growth, but I do realize that growth brings the potential for mass transit and urban revitalization, which I DO support. And I support diversifying our regional economy, and bringing high-speed rail to the region to connect with the Northeast corridor!

But hopefully we can still achieve a small-town feel by means of the urban transit village....either that or some can still build a home on a three acre parcel in Pungo, something for everyone here!!!!!!!!

Edited by mlsimons

Wow! You can't claim that the people who made this report were thinking small. TWO light rail lines across the Bay, one line going all the way to Williamsburg. Trolleys in Newport News. Commuter rail from downtown Norfolk to North Carolina. Heck, they even take Gloucester County into account. If this comes to pass, i might be able to ditch my car when i retire in 25 years. :P

The "Transit Vision Plan for Hampton Roads," released Thursday, does not offer price tags or ways to pay for the projects.

Is this from the Pilot's Article? The draft has an entire section called Funding Policies and lists current and future funding possibilities. It does not give price tags but it does give funding options. Dis the Pilot read the whole thing or just look at the picture?

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/02/va-panel-r...lk-tunnels-plan

A 15-member independent review panel will examine a private-sector proposal to expand the Midtown Tunnel, build the Martin Luther King Freeway Extension in Portsmouth and improve the Downtown Tunnel, the Virginia Department of Transportation announced today. Edited by varider

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/02/va-panel-r...lk-tunnels-plan

A 15-member independent review panel will examine a private-sector proposal to expand the Midtown Tunnel, build the Martin Luther King Freeway Extension in Portsmouth and improve the Downtown Tunnel, the Virginia Department of Transportation announced today.

Another project with tolls, huh? Gonna get real expensive to drive in Norfolk in a few years, ain't it?

I've never really thought of this region ever being that we'll connected but it sure is possible!

Matt: In the immortal words of Kevin Costner, "If you build it, they will come."

I attended the Transit Vision Plan public meeting in Norfolk last night and posted my report on the HRP Blog: http://hrpartnership.blogspot.com/2009/02/...lan-public.html

Public comments are open until March 13th. I'm trying to get a copy of the PPT used last night which did a good job of summarizing the Plan. Will post online as soon as I get it from the consultants in NoVA.

Man 3 dollars one way is ridiculous. They are going to price people out of this area

They need to knock that down. What's going to happen is business in Portsmouth is going to suffer because no one will want to pay that much. They need to get the toll down to a dollar to be feasible. Also, any planned toll must be in concert with a plan to extend light rail to Portsmouth as well. The only way I'd accept 3 dollars is if that meant a guranteed light rail tube otherwise forget it.

They need to knock that down. What's going to happen is business in Portsmouth is going to suffer because no one will want to pay that much. They need to get the toll down to a dollar to be feasible. Also, any planned toll must be in concert with a plan to extend light rail to Portsmouth as well. The only way I'd accept 3 dollars is if that meant a guranteed light rail tube otherwise forget it.

Business in Portsmouth? What business? Haha, that's why i'm paying out the wazoo in real estate taxes! Agree about the toll though, it's gonna get old heading down Military Highway and the High Rise anytime i need to get across the river :scared:

Matt: In the immortal words of Kevin Costner, "If you build it, they will come."

I attended the Transit Vision Plan public meeting in Norfolk last night and posted my report on the HRP Blog: http://hrpartnership.blogspot.com/2009/02/...lan-public.html

Public comments are open until March 13th. I'm trying to get a copy of the PPT used last night which did a good job of summarizing the Plan. Will post online as soon as I get it from the consultants in NoVA.

Missy,

A couple corrections on your HRP post:

1. It was reported at yesterday's TDCHR meeting that 50 people attended in Norfolk, half that in Hampton.

2. There were 5 UCAC members at the Norfolk meeting. (As Chairman, I was counting.)

Missy,

A couple corrections on your HRP post:

1. It was reported at yesterday's TDCHR meeting that 50 people attended in Norfolk, half that in Hampton.

2. There were 5 UCAC members at the Norfolk meeting. (As Chairman, I was counting.)

Thanks, Henry. I'll make the correction via comment, using you as the source. I'm guessing fewer people showed up in Norfolk for the second half. I counted 5 break-out groups of 6 each in the earlier meeting (hence, my 30 count). My mistake on the UCAC members; I don't have the pleasure of knowing everyone, so mis-counted there. That's great that 100 people showed up in Hampton. Sad, though, that only 150 people out of 1.6 million region-wide made the effort, though. That's less than 1/100th of 1% if I am calculating correctly. How do we change that?

post-17757-1235746402_thumb.jpg

Virginia Stimulus Website..

HR Mass Transit metro-like lite rail system to connect williamsburg to virginia beach, and all the communities in between, to include bridge/tunnel for two-way rail only between hampton and norfolk. will reduce comuter traffic jams, reduce polution, save fuel. CHARGE TOLLs for use of ALL interstate's within the area to help pay and encourage METRO use. Creates, jobs, looks to the future population encroachment. Infrastructure - Transportation Concept $5,000,000 01/2010 12/2020 Virginia Beach