Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

In light of today's House Rules Committe rejection of Kaine's transportation package, i sent the following to Del. Jannou:

Subject: Vote in Committee - RE: Transportation

Delegate Joannou, I see today you voted to reject Governor Kaine's plan for

taxation as a part of the House Rules Committee. While I personally

disagree with you and Governor Kaine on many things, transporation has

formed a vise-grip on the region, clogging our tunnels, interstates and

spilling over to domestic roads. What alternative will you be offering to

Governor Kaine's plan? As a legislature of elected officials, my

expectation as a taxpayer and proud voter is to have the transportation

enigma solved by the General Assembly, rather than continued politicizing

and blocked efforts. While I am firmly against any tax increases, I do

understand the negative effects that our gridlock has been causing to our

regional economy and well-being. In that manner, I support raised taxes if

it will fix the problems. I look forward to hearing your reply as well as

your alternative plan for improving transportation, whether yours or a

fellow official. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

In light of today's House Rules Committe rejection of Kaine's transportation package, i sent the following to Del. Jannou:
Important to note, that while the Rules Committee did reject Kaine's plan, they sent the Senate passed gas tax raise to the floor. I'm glad they killed the Kaine plan -- the rise in grantor's tax had no tie to transportation and would not have raised money from non-residents. The gas tax is the right way to go, and I was glad to hear that the Governor said he would sign it if it passed the house.

Important to note, that while the Rules Committee did reject Kaine's plan, they sent the Senate passed gas tax raise to the floor. I'm glad they killed the Kaine plan -- the rise in grantor's tax had no tie to transportation and would not have raised money from non-residents. The gas tax is the right way to go, and I was glad to hear that the Governor said he would sign it if it passed the house.

How likely do you think it is that the gas tax increase will pass the house? It's still a tax increase. While i'm happy that it cleared committee that is all that has happened. I seriously doubt it will pass the full house, and will be very happy to eat some crow if it does.

How likely do you think it is that the gas tax increase will pass the house? It's still a tax increase. While i'm happy that it cleared committee that is all that has happened. I seriously doubt it will pass the full house, and will be very happy to eat some crow if it does.
Well, the Governor running his mouth saying Republicans voted it down "because they

Since Del. Joannou does not have email, how did you send the message? via USPS mail? Thanks.

Via the General Assembly website, locate your Delegat/Senator. His email is allegedly [email protected]. If that is wrong i obviously have no way of knowing; however, i did receive a reply back from Sen. Fred Quayle this afternoon.

scm i agree with the gas tax proposal as well, i wasn't necessarily arguing for Kaine's proposal, but to be honest, i don't care anymore about what the solution is, i just want one. Whether gas, registration, tolls, budget cuts, i dont care. Fix our transportation quagmire.

Via the General Assembly website, locate your Delegat/Senator. His email is allegedly [email protected]. If that is wrong i obviously have no way of knowing; however, i did receive a reply back from Sen. Fred Quayle this afternoon.

scm i agree with the gas tax proposal as well, i wasn't necessarily arguing for Kaine's proposal, but to be honest, i don't care anymore about what the solution is, i just want one. Whether gas, registration, tolls, budget cuts, i dont care. Fix our transportation quagmire.

Yes, just FIX it. That's why I helped with the www.BeatTheGridlock.com campaign.

As for Del. Joannou, I did check the GA website and every where I look, it states "No Email". Check this out: http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/MWebsiteEL?OpenView

• 3 months later...

Public Information Meeting -- A Transit Vision Plan for Hampton Roads

The Hampton Roads regional public transit plan will address local and express bus, bus rapid transit, street car/trolley, light rail, commuter rail, and ridesharing. The plan will also look at development patterns in areas where expanded public transit may be recommended.

Thursday, October 16, 2008, 4:30

Edited by scm

• 3 weeks later...

I would be on board if they just built the 564 portion of the third crossing and didn't put all them extra tunnels and widened highways in that we don't need. Keep the 564 portion which gets the ports off of I-64 and focus on widening the HRBT which is the major artery when it comes to tourism. I like the bridge idea, it would give us a landmark bridge which this area does not have. However, once again, not going to happen with the Navy stationed here. Might as well scrap that one now.

I would be on board if they just built the 564 portion of the third crossing and didn't put all them extra tunnels and widened highways in that we don't need. Keep the 564 portion which gets the ports off of I-64 and focus on widening the HRBT which is the major artery when it comes to tourism. I like the bridge idea, it would give us a landmark bridge which this area does not have. However, once again, not going to happen with the Navy stationed here. Might as well scrap that one now.

That would just move the problem around instead of fixing it. In a perfect world both the third crossing and a major HRBT expansion would have taken place already. America's infrastructure... just another reason I'm voting for Obama. :scared:

That would just move the problem around instead of fixing it. In a perfect world both the third crossing and a major HRBT expansion would have taken place already. America's infrastructure... just another reason I'm voting for Obama. :scared:

What a joke. Everyone thinks he is going to bring so much change. Only change will be the wealth redistribution. Longer waits at the emergency room and more big govt. Thats change i can do without <_<

I've always thought a bridge would be great around here. Are they trying to put this project in place of the 'third crossing'?

This project is not in place of third crossing, it would be in addition to the 6 projects ear-marked as priorities by the region. This caught on recently when Fraim said he would support proposals for an expanded HRBT. Short of an additional 4 lanes, i'm not sure what good any of these would do. A bridge would help but could potentially impact the terminal traffic that is one of the life-lines of the area (fancy renderings aside obviously)

This project is not in place of third crossing, it would be in addition to the 6 projects ear-marked as priorities by the region. This caught on recently when Fraim said he would support proposals for an expanded HRBT. Short of an additional 4 lanes, i'm not sure what good any of these would do. A bridge would help but could potentially impact the terminal traffic that is one of the life-lines of the area (fancy renderings aside obviously)

The bridge would not impact port or military traffic. It would be built tall enough to clear either type of ship. I'm sure that it would be a suspension bridge, unlike anything we have here at the moment. Much like the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in D.C. that just finished, except on a larger scale. Think, Golden Gate bridge.

The bridge would not impact port or military traffic. It would be built tall enough to clear either type of ship. I'm sure that it would be a suspension bridge, unlike anything we have here at the moment. Much like the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in D.C. that just finished, except on a larger scale. Think, Golden Gate bridge.

Is the military's problem, as well as the port's, that should there be any attack on a bridge, it could close off access to open ocean?

The bridge in the rendering looked like a cable-stayed bridge, I don't know if that's classified as like a subset of suspension bridges or the evolution of the suspension bridge. Maybe our resident engineers could tell us... Either way, I think those are the coolest looking things!

Edited by cpeakesqr

A bridge would help but could potentially impact the terminal traffic that is one of the life-lines of the area (fancy renderings aside obviously)

Not a problem -- our major East Coast port competitors -- Savannah, Charleston, all of the NY ports -- are upstream of at least one, if not two, bridges.

Now, the Navy has a huge woody over this issue -- another real "please sir, may I have another" moment. Call the tune, make no contribution to the tax base. And "leaders" here keep dropping their drawers for another schwack.

• 2 weeks later...

Firms offer Midtown/Downtown plan

Sounds like our best bet to get out of this mess. I have two major concerns however. 1) The tolls are exorbitant. They need to get them down to $1 or it will choke the region to death. 2) Any plan must include a light rail tunnel. The city needs to stick to its guns on this one, it's too important.

Firms offer Midtown/Downtown plan

Sounds like our best bet to get out of this mess. I have two major concerns however. 1) The tolls are exorbitant. They need to get them down to $1 or it will choke the region to death. 2) Any plan must include a light rail tunnel. The city needs to stick to its guns on this one, it's too important.

If you (or anyone on the UP Forum) could be king/queen for a day, what would your perfect Transportation Solution look like?

• 2 weeks later...

Norfolk opposes HRBT expansion

I can understand, I think that city officials want to make an argument for the 3rd crossing! ;)

I am opposed to them opposing the HRBT. I understand the need for the 3rd crossing, but we need to widen the HRBT as well. This is not an either or proposition, we need both. Fraim needs to get some cajones. ;)