sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

The D-League just annouced 4 new teams for next season... Norfolk was not one of them. That brings the total of NBADL teams to 13. I believe the NBA wants 15. The lucky cities are Bismarck, ND... Boise, ID... Broomfield, CO... and Sioux Falls, SD.

The D-League just annouced 4 new teams for next season... Norfolk was not one of them. That brings the total of NBADL teams to 13. I believe the NBA wants 15. The lucky cities are Bismarck, ND... Boise, ID... Broomfield, CO... and Sioux Falls, SD.

With all due deference to the cities listed what in the world do they have that Norfolk can't offer? I'm starting to feel like Norfolk has been blacklisted as far as anything remotely related to pro-sports.

With all due deference to the cities listed what in the world do they have that Norfolk can't offer? I'm starting to feel like Norfolk has been blacklisted as far as anything remotely related to pro-sports.

Idaho? North and South Dakota? Somehow I feel like the NBA chose these cities for their teams because they are in remote locations, far from any professional teams and not at all likely to see a pro team locate near them in the future. I don't feel we should be too hurt by not being on that list - the more we emphasize the fact that we are a large market without representation in the big leagues, the better our chances of landing something a lot more worthwhile than an NBADL team.

Im so pissed UVa doesnt show any mets games. Supposedly they were supposed to be on FOX, but all I saw was nascar. Anyway, Wright had all the Mets RBI's in the first game. Do I hear MVP candidate?

Wright's definitely MVP material.

But c'mon, UVa isn't gonna show Mets game. TV there will show the Nats and UVa's (and VB's) own Ryan Zimmerman. Or NASCAR.

• 1 month later...

I wanna see what the "refurbished" Foreman Field is gonna look like. Right now the stadium seats about 20,000, and I heard they use to pack 'em in for the Annual Oyster Bowl back in the day.

So Foreman field is being refurbished? I didn't know thats what they had planned

I wanna see what the "refurbished" Foreman Field is gonna look like. Right now the stadium seats about 20,000, and I heard they use to pack 'em in for the Annual Oyster Bowl back in the day.

I'm guessing they are going to reduce seating by around 5,000 and add luxury boxes and or club seating to one sideline.

Edited by VAGATOR

No, the renovation won't reduce capacity. They are going to add suites at the south end zone, and replace bleachers with chair-back seats for Big Blue members. Plus, the turf will be changed to grass sometime soon, plus they will construct some locker rooms for coaches, players and people.

After they finish the garage at 46th Street, they are going to construct another one, across the street from the admin building, and next to the gas station.

In 2008, the city will expand the 43rd Street from two lanes to four lanes to accommodate the football parking. In 2009, when the football season begins, there will be approximately 7,000 parking spaces at or around Foreman Field.

I think in the near future, they might renovate/expand the stadium if the football program succeeds. Foreman Field was once host of the Hampton/Norfolk State games and the Neptunes football team from 1967 to 1975 in a semi-pro league.

No, the renovation won't reduce capacity. They are going to add suites at the south end zone, and replace bleachers with chair-back seats for Big Blue members.

Not trying to pick, but adding chair back seats where there are now bleachers will reduce capacity somewhat. Perhaps not significantly, but somewhat. I would guess three chairback seats will require the same amount of row length that currently accomodates four people in bleacher mode. Depending on how many chairback seats are installed......well, you can do the math.

• 3 months later...

ODU football program nabs proven winners as advisers

From the Virginian Pilot

"George Welsh and Dick Sheridan will be introduced Tuesday as advisers for Old Dominion 's football program, which is slated to begin play at the Division I-AA level in 2009."

Cool. :silly: Can't wait to go to a W&M vs. ODU game. :shok:

I can't either! I'm soooo glad that ODU now is going to have a team.

I wish, but one of the requisites for an advisor was that they weren't interested in coaching the team, only helping to build it. ODU is looking to hire a coach next year; doubt it would be Welsh, but wishful thinking.

Well it depends............money talks and if its the right amount, it might be hard to turn down.