sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Not quite the NBADL we were shooting for.

Yeah, but look at the NBADL as it stands now. Gone are all the orginal teams. It is no longer a Virginia/Carolina league. It is really a funny operation now. There are teams in major metros: L.A./Anaheim, Denver (Broomfield), Dallas/Ft. Worth and Austin, but also in North and South Dakota. It looks like the NBA went with a three-region rivalry model: Texas-OK-Arkansas-NM, L.A. metro, and Rockies (Colorado, Idaho, Dakotas). Unless the NBA plans to add another region such as a Mid-Atlantic one (making another go of it), then HR has no chance of landing a team.

The ABA-redux may be interesting. At least there are regional rivalries with Richmond, Alexandria, Baltimore, Rockville, and Wilmington. Then again, it might get boring having 6 games against each rival.

Yeah, but look at the NBADL as it stands now. Gone are all the orginal teams. It is no longer a Virginia/Carolina league. It is really a funny operation now. There are teams in major metros: L.A./Anaheim, Denver (Broomfield), Dallas/Ft. Worth and Austin, but also in North and South Dakota. It looks like the NBA went with a three-region rivalry model: Texas-OK-Arkansas-NM, L.A. metro, and Rockies (Colorado, Idaho, Dakotas). Unless the NBA plans to add another region such as a Mid-Atlantic one (making another go of it), then HR has no chance of landing a team.

The ABA-redux may be interesting. At least there are regional rivalries with Richmond, Alexandria, Baltimore, Rockville, and Wilmington. Then again, it might get boring having 6 games against each rival.

The question is where are they playing and is this going to interfere with the Norfolk Admirals?

I can not wait to see the Navigators play the Vermont Frost Heaves! I might have to camp out to get those tickets. :P

Seriously, a metro of 1.7 million and this is what we get?

Huh? Did I miss something? I find it interesting that Hampton Roads is always too good for things like this, while the following citites aren't:

Atlanta

Baltimore

Brooklyn

Buffalo

Chicago

Detroit

Hollywood

Houston

Jacksonville

Las Vegas

Miami

Montreal

Newark

Orlando

Pittsburgh

San Diego

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

etc. etc.

What I can't wait for is for this team to fold because everyone around here is too good for this, and then for everyone to complain once it's gone that we're too lame to support it and how wonderful it was. At least that way, I'll know that things are normal in the universe. Looks like we're getting off to another great start.

Edited by Sky06

One thing I noticed after looking at the ABA website, there is an expansion team joining for the 2007-2008 season. The team's name....Tacoma NAVIGATORS. How original. -_-

It would be just our luck that they play in Norfolk in 2006, close down shop here after the season, and then move 3000 miles to Tacoma in 2007.

This should be interesting to watch. Give it a chance. It beats not having anything here at all.

Edited by Seven Cities

I certainly did not mean to imply that the region is "too good" for such a basketball league. :unsure:

But at the same time I don't see why we should not want, hope and expect something better for our region.

I will be happy to give it a try. I am a huge basketball fan, and I hope it suceeds.

From looking at the ABA website, it seems most teams have local/regional players from their area. A few possible players here...... (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

JR Reid

Alonzo Morning

Allen Iverson

Joe Smith

Ed Geth (remember him...UNC)

Ronald Curry

Jason Capel

Cal Bowdler

Any others?

I certainly did not mean to imply that the region is "too good" for such a basketball league. :unsure:

But at the same time I don't see why we should not want, hope and expect something better for our region.

I will be happy to give it a try. I am a huge basketball fan, and I hope it suceeds.

From looking at the ABA website, it seems most teams have local/regional players from their area. A few possible players here...... (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

JR Reid

Alonzo Morning

Allen Iverson

Joe Smith

Ed Geth (remember him...UNC)

Ronald Curry

Jason Capel

Cal Bowdler

Any others?

I agree. But this seems like a good opportunity to be in the mix of umpteen major league cities. It's not the best thing in the world, but it's a start. Oh, and thanks for mentioning UNC and ODU players (my 2 favorite teams).

Why in the world do we have a Pelican as the mascot? Being as though we're the "Navigators" would it be safe to assume that our natural shortened, condensed, marketing name would be the "Gators?"... hence maybe an Alligator. They also have the same colors of the Old Admirals... could we change things up a bit?

I'm :blush: embarrassed to say it, but Richmond's team will be called "The Ballers".

What's more, in a newspaper article, the owner talked of how her hopes are to pull kids in off the streets and get them interested in basketball. And then, rather then playing in an accessible venue easy for those kids to reach, they announce their "arena" will be in a converted warehouse seating about 2500 in an area miles away from downtown. If anybody is familiar with Richmond, it will be on Maywill Street in an industrial area between Westmoreland Street and Staples Mill Road.

Where will they play in Norfolk?

Interesting... they'll be playing at the U-Turn Sports Performance Academy near the old Circuit City is my guess. Siegel Center would be a better venue IMO. I'd assume Norfolk will play at the Scope?

You're right on U-Turn. That's what the schedule says on abalive.com. However, considering the venues of other teams, it looks like a nice high school/community gym would be the venue. I don't think they'd play at Scope because it would be cavernous for the crowds they'd draw and the rent would be too high unless the city let's them play for free.

More ODU football

Details of ODU contracts with Welsh, Sheridan aired

From the Virginian Pilot

"ODU plans to hire a head coach and have two assistant coaches in place by March, which would limit the need for Welsh and Sheridan's expertise." :shades:

Sweet. Just in time for Virginia and State to announce the rehiring of the respective coaches that actually took them places.