sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Speaking of sports... Why dont the Norfolk Admirals sell more tickets? Its great fun, your seeing professional players that are back and forth from the NHL. Scope hasnt even hit an attendance of 5000 this year yet. Maybe its just poor advertising but I would think with over a million people in the area these games would sell out. Its kind of pathetic that the Greenville Growl, the minor league team to the Admirals sells more tickets at a higher price.

Mike

2 things:

1) the Admirals play in Scope. That place is a dump. I went to one Admirals game and never wanted to go back because of the bad sight lines and horrible stench. That's not a hockey arena, it's a haz-mat site.

2) So who exactly are Norfolk's rivals? Philadelphia? The Admirals don't have any close teams. The Grrrowl have the Inferno and Stingrays in SC and the Checkers up the road in Charlotte. The Pee Dee Pride are being reincarnated in Myrtle Beach. If Norfolk was in the NHL they'd at least have Raleigh and DC which are a lot closer than Philly and Atlanta. Just look at what happened to once strong markets like Greensboro (killed by the AHL and NHL), Roanoke, Richmond, and Raleigh (did much better as an ECHL town). If the Grrrowl lost a couple of their rivals, they'd probably die too. It's amazing the Admirals are still kicking.

Got to get rid of the stench in Scope, unless we rename the hockey team the Norfolk Stench. That combination might draw people. Nah, too sophisticated. I have heard that AHL hockey is a more professional brand of game than we've been used to getting in past years--far fewer fights and such. That might make it less fun for many "fans" and goes with the fact that there is less rivalry with those distant teams.

Got to get rid of the stench in Scope, unless we rename the hockey team the Norfolk Stench. That combination might draw people. Nah, too sophisticated. I have heard that AHL hockey is a more professional brand of game than we've been used to getting in past years--far fewer fights and such. That might make it less fun for many "fans" and goes with the fact that there is less rivalry with those distant teams.

The real key issue is the facility. I hear people complain about scope all the time. They really need to build a nice arena and I guarantee that the attendance will rise.

They put some money into Scope this past year. Complete new sound system, complete interior paint job, new sound absortion material around the walls of the arena and suspended from the ceiling, new seats for the lower sections and a new or improved lighting system. No stench in Scope that Im aware of. (this year anyway) Now they just need a new center score board, that thing is old.

Atleast they dont play in Hampton, that place is a complete dump.

They put some money into Scope this past year. Complete new sound system, complete interior paint job, new sound absortion material around the walls of the arena and suspended from the ceiling, new seats for the lower sections and a new or improved lighting system. No stench in Scope that Im aware of. (this year anyway) Now they just need a new center score board, that thing is old.

Atleast they dont play in Hampton, that place is a complete dump.

You can spruce it up as much as you want, but the fact still remains, Scope is not a hockey arena. Never was. It's a basketball arena built for Virginia Squires. For round arenas elevating the baseline seating was the cool thing to do. Unfortunately, if your watching hockey from near the baseline, the nearside goalie kinda disappears.

You can spruce it up as much as you want, but the fact still remains, Scope is not a hockey arena. Never was. It's a basketball arena built for Virginia Squires. For round arenas elevating the baseline seating was the cool thing to do. Unfortunately, if your watching hockey from near the baseline, the nearside goalie kinda disappears.

I agree it probably wasn't designed strictly for hockey but we will never have an arena designed strictly for hockey if we cant get people to pay to watch. I think one of the problems is we have a lot of military population that are only staying in the area a few years. Those people probably dont even know we have a hockey team and by the time they decide to go to one its probably time to transfer.

One good thing about the attendance being low is I can choose my seat when I make my purchase meaning I can sit where I can see both goalies all the time.

I agree it probably wasn't designed strictly for hockey but we will never have an arena designed strictly for hockey if we cant get people to pay to watch. I think one of the problems is we have a lot of military population that are only staying in the area a few years. Those people probably dont even know we have a hockey team and by the time they decide to go to one its probably time to transfer.

One good thing about the attendance being low is I can choose my seat when I make my purchase meaning I can sit where I can see both goalies all the time.

I honestly believe that if they built a new facility they would have a HUGE jump in attendance. Scope still is scope to some people and they don't want to pay the money to sit in a dump. I think it was a waste of money to do what they have on Scope. We might not see a new areana for years! Norfolk needs to wake up sometimes and think about what could have happened if they did build one. The Hornets could be playing here right now and we could have should the league how we would have supported our own team. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I can hear the frustration your voices guys...honestly Charlotte is not ready for another franchise nor the tapayers. A brand new arena was just built with public funds and don't forget about transit constuction and schools are big topics there.

I would't want a MLB team there now. Although the population figures are low now I would bet in 5-10 years the region could host another franchise. A MLB franchise is tricky. It has to ran right and also the league itself has to market the team. I would say the NHL would be the best fit. If there was to be a hockey franchise to falter I would petition the city leaders to actively go after it.

One more thing...I don't buy the low wage no white collar fan base. I think HR can hang. Last time I looked there are some cities who can claim the same thing but still have pro franchises. It has everything to do with your civic leaders and co-operation. Someone has to step up and have vision and just do the d*mn thing.....sincerely former Hampton resident.

Edited by NcSc74

It looks like Baxters on Granby St. is getting closer to opening. Anyone know if they will be having a grand opening??? :alc:

I plan on being there this Monday, and will report back with a review if I do end up going there.

The website for Baxter's is up and running, and they are advertising a New Years Eve package, so I'm guessing that it's open now:

www.baxterssportslounge.com

NHL works really well in Dallas and St. Louis and fairly well in LA (not Anaheim). Southern towns are fair weather with attendance spikes after a good season. Anyway, if hockey can make it Raleigh and Nashville, it can make it in HR.

Hopefully negotiations go well between Norfolk and the NBA so Scope lands an NBDL team. Two fairly solid tenants may finally push Norfolk into building an arena on the parking lot/garage between MacArthur Center and Scope or next to Harbor Park. Who knows, in 5 years it may be time for the NBA to expand again. By then, the Hornets will have moved, probably to KC or St. Louis. Then the league can put teams in Vegas and OKC in the west and Baltimore and Norfolk in the east.

So if we build it, they will come? Norfolk always misses the boat because we don't have NBA, NHL, or MLB ready facilities. They've been talking about that site for a possible arena for some time now... but that's the problem, it's always been just talk. No doubt new digs would be nice for the Admirals, and the D-League to occupy til something bigger and better comes along... but I don't know if you can justify the expense of a major league arena for a minor league product with no guarentee of a Bigger Better Deal.

So if we build it, they will come? Norfolk always misses the boat because we don't have NBA, NHL, or MLB ready facilities. They've been talking about that site for a possible arena for some time now... but that's the problem, it's always been just talk. No doubt new digs would be nice for the Admirals, and the D-League to occupy til something bigger and better comes along... but I don't know if you can justify the expense of a major league arena for a minor league product with no guarentee of a Bigger Better Deal.

Arena = chicken

Franchise = egg

Which should come first?

Edited by lammius

Well, OKC built their NBA-ready arena for $89 million. Construction began in 1999 and finished in 2002 just before the construction cost run-up. The original tenants were just a Central Hockey League team and an af2 team. UVa is completing construction on its 15,000 seat arena and it is on budget at $130 million. Something tells me that if Norfolk didn't drag its feet, it could have built a new arena for around $100-150 million. Now it'll probably cost closer to $200 million. Even if the arena's only tenant was the Admirals, it would have drawn more arena concerts and likely the attention of David Stern. Half the reason the Hornets went to NO was an available arena. They would have done better financially in HR and therefore would not have required the annual $5 million donation. Stern would not even consider OKC or KC for NBA expanion/relocation if they didn't have or weren't building an arena.

Edited by hoobo

I Thought this was interesting. Its an article concerning the Marlin's executive committee visiting Portland. However, it does mention Norfolk as one of the cities that *might* be under consideration as a relocation candidate. :shades: Anyhow, I thought some of you might be interested. So here it is.

Read the article

Marlin officials will pay a visit

By KERRY EGGERS

The Portland Tribune

Issue date: Fri, Jan 6, 2006

"A three-member contingent of the Florida Marlins

don't get your hopes up with the Marlins, I think one Portland has the best shot, and two, I think right now they are just using us to threaten Miami because the team really has no desire to move to another city.

I agree with you on not getting our hopes up. However I disagree with Portland being the favorite. Seems they have a lot of major hurdles in their way. The biggest of witch is the Mayor not being at all supportive of any financing plan that would be exclusively public. Thats how I interpret anyway, you can follow their situation by going to the Oregon Stadium Campaign site. On chances that the Marlins actually relocate? I say..50/50.

Simple speculation mixed with wishful thinking. Thats what makes these blogs so much fun. :thumbsup:

you are right, our new mayor does not care about this at all. It was our last mayor who was the cheerleader for this idea. But the state has granted a 100mil for a stadium to be built for a pro team if one decides to relocate here and the good thing is the city has land for a stadium with a couple of their options.

Just another drag through the mud! It would be great if this dream happened cause I could see the Mets all the time!

Thats not the attitude we need. Remember, it took our Nation's Capital 35 yrs to bring back baseball. "You can't hit a homerun unless you step-up to the plate." I'll forgo the use of any more cliches. I think you get the point. ;)

As far as being able to see the Mets all the time, well I feel the same way in that I would be able to see my Cards at least 3 times a year. National League baby! National League. :yahoo: