sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

ODU introduces football advisers; coach will be hired soon

From the Virginian Pilot

"As George Welsh and Dick Sheridan were introduced today as advisers for Old Dominion University's start-up I-AA football program, an afterthought became the day's real headline: ODU intends to have a head coach in place within the next four months. "

What's up with the Tides-Mets affiliation? I'm reading that there's a lot of change going on in AAA ball. Here's what I've seen:

1) Mets, Nats, O's, Yanks, and Phils have not re-upped with their AAA club.

2) The Nats do not want to re-up with New Orleans Zephyrs and the O's don't want Ottawa.

3) The Phils have dropped Scranton Red Barons and are negotiating to buy the Ottawa Lynx and move them to Allentown.

4) The Yanks cut off talks with the Columbus Clippers.

5) Appearantly, Scranton has a contract with MLB to have a AAA club there. Also, Columbus is building a new stadium.

6) Rumors are swirling that the Mets want to be in Scranton to have a closer AAA affiliate. Then again, Scranton's stadium is a dump and Mets fans know this.

7) The Phils and Yanks want to own their AAA affiliates. The Mets might be looking to do the same which is why they're looking at Scranton.

So who will end up in Norfolk. It's not unheard of for negotiations to take a while so the Mets may come back. The Nats who want to capitalize on the Virginia market are obvious players (which would also be a slap in the face considering the Expostakes) and the O's who have numerous AL fans in the area are both likely players. Then there's the Yankees who are a darkhorse, but in the running nonetheless unless they work things out with Columbus.

I think that if the Mets decide on Scranton, then the Nats will take over. I'd rather have the Mets, but even after the Expostakes I'd prefer the Nats over the O's or Yanks. The Nats with the new owner and stadium appear committed to turning into a winning club unlike the O's who appear committed to signing has-beens in order to keep up with the Yanks-Sox arms race. And the Yanks are evil. However, with the Nats, you can forget about MLB in Norfolk. All that said, unless the Mets can buy the Red Barons I believe they'll be back in Norfolk.

I wouldn't go to another Tides game if the Nats become affilated with them. I'm a die hard Mets fan and also with what happened to us I can't stand the Nats. JMO

Mets fan! So you do have some taste. :P The Nats will eventually move to Norfolk in a few years. The Hogetts are the only team they will ever support.

I support them as well! GO SKINS! BEAT THEM COWGIRLS THIS WEEKEND! HTTR

Hey Russ, are you feeling a little nerves right now? Do you have doughts running through your mind? Is there a queasy feeling in your stomach? No its not that the Taco Bell you ate earlier! You know what it is!

How Bout them Cowboys ! :rofl:

Hey Russ, are you feeling a little nerves right now? Do you have doughts running through your mind? Is there a queasy feeling in your stomach? No its not that the Taco Bell you ate earlier! You know what it is!

How Bout them Cowboys ! :rofl:

I bet you are a little nervous yourself! :D Hail to the Redskins! :thumbsup::yahoo:

Edited by rusthebuss

erdogs, I think it's time to change that helmet to a basketball. I made the switch after that ridiculous QB musical chairs at the end of the Pitt game. I mean, pick McCabe or Sewell, but stop trying to play Olsen. He only has 9 games of eligibility left and with his Dan Ellis-like legs and the young OL, he's gonna end up with permanent brain damage if he plays every game.

erdogs, I think it's time to change that helmet to a basketball. I made the switch after that ridiculous QB musical chairs at the end of the Pitt game. I mean, pick McCabe or Sewell, but stop trying to play Olsen. He only has 9 games of eligibility left and with his Dan Ellis-like legs and the young OL, he's gonna end up with permanent brain damage if he plays every game.

I had to watch that painfull game saturday on the internet. Everyone knew this would be a rebuilding year. Olsen has dad plenty of chances. My grandmother is more accurate than he is. Mcabe makes too many mistakes that give the other teams scores. Sewell is young with lots of tallent and eligability. If the QB's are going to run for there lives, why not have one that can atleast get out of his own way. I'm just looking forward to watching the team get better and mature. They may only win 3 games this year. Duke and maybe East Carolina. The defence could be something special. Keep your head up!

Rumor has it that the Norfolk Admirals and the City of Norfolk have acquired a video score board from the Dallas Stars to be installed for the 07-08 hockey season. This isn't confirmed but it may be this one:

dallas07.jpg

That thing is huge.

A step in the right direction, way overdue. :whistling: Check out the video board at UVA's new J.P.J. Arena. :shok:

Arena%20July%2019,%202006%20006.jpg

Arena%20Interior404.jpg