sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

• 2 weeks later...

When the Commisioner of the NBA has to ask:

"Where is Hampton Roads?"........you know there is a lot of work to do.

Marketing "Hampton Roads"?? The NBA hasn't noticed

This article relates to several topics, but I thought it really illustrates how enormous the challenge will be to ever get a professional team to this area that no one knows exists.

I would love to see a Jay Leno street interview segment with folks being asked where Hampton Roads is.

I think the Navigators will be great addition to the sports scene in Hampton Roads. Onto the subject of the confusing Hampton Roads moniker. It happened again, on a flight last weekend from DC to Las Vegas I mentioned to the guy sitting next to me from Los Angeles that I was originally from the Hampton Roads area of Va. He assumed I was talking about Hampton, VA not every city from Va. Beach to Williamsburg. I proceeded to explain to him that the whole area southside and Peninsula is called the Hampton Roads Area. After about 7 minutes of explaining to him the Hampton Roads is a waterway and not an actual road he finally understood. I don't even use the word Hampton Roads because most people outside of the area don't know where it is. I just simply tell people I was born in Norfolk and raised in Va. Beach. Instantly when I tell people this they know exactly where I am from. I think the time has come to give up on the Hampton Roads moniker and call the area Greater Norfolk, Norfolk, Va. Beach, Newport News, or Va. Beach, Norfolk, Newport News just something that is a real city name.

Edited by skylinefan

I think the Navigators will be great addition to the sports scene in Hampton Roads. Onto the subject of the confusing Hampton Roads moniker. It happened again, on a flight last weekend from DC to Las Vegas I mentioned to the guy sitting next to me from Los Angeles that I was originally from the Hampton Roads area of Va. He assumed I was talking about Hampton, VA not every city from Va. Beach to Williamsburg. I proceeded to explain to him that the whole area southside and Peninsula is called the Hampton Roads Area. After about 7 minutes of explaining to him the Hampton Roads is a waterway and not an actual road he finally understood. I don't even use the word Hampton Roads because most people outside of the area don't know where it is. I just simply tell people I was born in Norfolk and raised in Va. Beach. Instantly when I tell people this they know exactly where I am from. I think the time has come to give up on the Hampton Roads moniker and call the area Greater Norfolk, Norfolk, Va. Beach, Newport News, or Va. Beach, Norfolk, Newport News just something that is a real city name.

Why did they ever do away with Tidewater? You'd be surprised with how many out-of-towners are familiar with Tidewater rather than Hampton Roads.

Why did they ever do away with Tidewater? You'd be surprised with how many out-of-towners are familiar with Tidewater rather than Hampton Roads.

Very true, I still use the word "tidewater" when referring to that area. But usually when I refer to my hometown I say "Virginia Beach" seeing I grew up there, or "Norfolk" because it is more the traditional seat of the region. "Hampton Roads" was probably the biggest mistake in marketing for the area.

I still think the area should of done like Portland, where their is a metro government that controls the over all of the region and the cities work with that to take care of much more local needs. Fat chance of that happening there, but it is a nice thought.

Or I say I am from the Tidewater region of Virginia which was the name of the region when I lived there. I was vaguely aware of the area also being called Hampton Roads but it was not the predominate name of the region.

Anyway back on topic, I love the idea that the teams that play in Norfolk are called the Norfolk Tides, Navigators and Admirals. People know where Norfolk is and it gives the teams a true identity.

Or I say I am from the Tidewater region of Virginia which was the name of the region when I lived there. I was vaguely aware of the area also being called Hampton Roads but it was not the predominate name of the region.

Anyway back on topic, I love the idea that the teams that play in Norfolk are called the Norfolk Tides, Navigators and Admirals. People know where Norfolk is and it gives the teams a true identity.

Speaking of the Norfolk Admirals, the season started last weekend and attendance is really low. I think there were 3200 on Saturday night.

There is a lot of new rigging in the roof of scope that looks like it could be for a new score board. All of the lower level seats have been replaced now. If anyone wants to come they play Friday and Saturday this weekend and next weekend.

I agree, for the sake of identity for the region, it is better a team have the name of the city it is in rather than the name of the region.

For a professional team, it would have to either have a city name or a state name, a region name just won't fly and no one will figure it out that doesn't live in the region.

That would be like calling the Portland Blazers the Williamette Blazers.

The Southeastern Virginia/Northeastern North Carolina Lower Chesapeake Bay/Upper Albemarle Sound Area xxxxxxxxx.

Why can't we just use Virginia? I understand the area/city-specific designation when Richmond or NoVa has a team at the same level, but otherwise, why not Virginia? How many pro teams use a state moniker? I counted 4 NFL teams (plus the regional titles of New England and Tampa Bay), 5 MLB (plus Tampa Bay), 4 NBA, and 5 NHL (plus Tampa Bay). In fact, all teams in the Twin Cities are called Minnesota, all teams in Tampa are named after the bay not the city, 2 of 3 teams in North Carolina are named Carolina (despite their being another Carolina), and both Denver and Phoenix have 2 of 4 teams named Arizona. Then again, all teams in the AHL go be their home city.

Anthem Live -- Cancer Charity Event

Stumbled across this on the WTKR site. It appears to be the second year for this fundraiser event. James Blake and Andre Agassi as well as the top men's double team of the Bryan brothers will be participating. Tennis nut (funded indoor tennis center up in Cville) and DMB fiddler Boyd Tinsley will also be performing. It is a charity event, but I'm not promoting it. Apparently, A-rod (the other one) played in this fundraiser last year. Just thought it was cool to see some great men's tennis coming to HR.

Edited by hoobo

It looks like ODU was only going to be on TV a few nights but will benefit from the COMCAST/CAA deal. I hope that after the new feeling of the Ted wears off that ODU will get a reagular fan base...........shoot I wish that for all the Seven Cities Colleges.

I would like to know if there is a lot of intrest in ODU sports outside of Hampton Roads.