sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Norfolk keeps in touch with Marlins

Read the article

Baseball: Portland, Norfolk staying in touch with Marlins

Web Posted: 03/16/2006 12:00 AM CST

Tom Orsborn

Express-News Staff Writer

"Officials in Portland, Ore., and Norfolk, Va., said Wednesday that they continue to talk with the Florida Marlins even though the team seemingly has elevated San Antonio to the top of its relocation options."

"Said Somerindyke: "We feel like we have one of the most attractive stadium packages available."

I think that with MLB & DC reaching a lease agreement (finally) the Marlins relocation issue will be moved to the front burner. I expect to see a lot more of these types of articles in the next 5/6 months. :wacko:

I don't want to hear these articles in the next 5-6 months. I'm exhausted about trying to lure a team here. I think our chances have been diminished exponentially. I never thought that I would sound like this. I don't think we will ever see pro sports or majors i should say in this state. Thats what I hear from people that move here all the time.

I don't want to hear these articles in the next 5-6 months. I'm exhausted about trying to lure a team here. I think our chances have been diminished exponentially. I never thought that I would sound like this. I don't think we will ever see pro sports or majors i should say in this state. Thats what I hear from people that move here all the time.

Yes, we must compete for a franchise. We compete with other communities for business everyday, major league sports teams are no different. We will have a major league team here within the next 5 years. Take that to the *Bank*, the demographics combined with the stable/expanding economy assure it. The only question is; what major league sport will it be? :shades:

Yes, we must compete for a franchise. We compete with other communities for business everyday, major league sports teams are no different. We will have a major league team here within the next 5 years. Take that to the *Bank*, the demographics combined with the stable/expanding economy assure it. The only question is; what major league sport will it be? :shades:

And we are losing in the business community too! If it runs down the same path as the business community we may never see a major league team here. :cry:

And we are losing in the business community too! If it runs down the same path as the business community we may never see a major league team here. :cry:

I also think this ties into the entire subject of what to call this area and all of the parochialism among the seven cities.

Until this area is united under one name that people outside of Virginia recognize and understand (is there an emoticon for hell freezing over?)....and function effectively under that one name....and the only possible correct name is the "Greater Norfolk area"....I can't see this area ever getting a pro franchise.

what about "Hampton Roads"? :blink:

What he means is that we don't have a true urban core to call the metro. We have to have a core in which we are linked to. We lack at this. You have multiple cities trying to cut throat each other to be that. No joint ventures which kills the metro.

So that's were marketing and advertisment come into play.

Well, I see zero benefit accruing to the southeastern corner of Virginia thus far from the attempt to identify our entire metro area as "Hampton Roads". I think 9 out of 10 people in NY, Michigan, Texas, Colorado, etc. have no idea where Hampton Roads is. Probably don't even know it is in Virginia. It is by far the least effective metro area name in the USA. There is not an effective message or enough money available to put a sales pitch on Hampton Roads to "fix it" in our lifetimes.

There, I feel better :unsure: .

Well, I see zero benefit accruing to the southeastern corner of Virginia thus far from the attempt to identify our entire metro area as "Hampton Roads". I think 9 out of 10 people in NY, Michigan, Texas, Colorado, etc. have no idea where Hampton Roads is. Probably don't even know it is in Virginia. It is by far the least effective metro area name in the USA. There is not an effective message or enough money available to put a sales pitch on Hampton Roads to "fix it" in our lifetimes.

There, I feel better :unsure: .

I agree. "The Greater <insert any Hampton Roads City name here> area" would be more effective as a regional moniker than "Hampton Roads". People around the country do not identify Hampton Roads as a place because our own residents dont identify it as a place. When Hampton Roads residents travel outside of the area they do not introduce themselves as being from "Hampton Roads". And the family members that Hampton Roads citizens go on vacation to visit don't tell their friends that they have cousins who live in "Hampton Roads". Instead, they tell their friends that they have relatives from <insert Hampton Roads city name here>. And word of mouth is the best advertising you can get.

No one says "I am going on vacation in Hampton Roads" or "Remember beach week in Hampton Roads" or "lets go partying on Granby Street in Hampton Roads."

So yes, "Hampton Roads" is a great compromise for residents within our area so we don't have to fight over whether we should be called Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, etc. But the compromise hurts us in the long run. We are a place with too many names.

I guess New York City got it right with their "5 Borough" System. It would be nice to have one recognizable name for the area, and maybe some structure like NYC (Virginia City perhaps?), but none of the 7 cities would want to give up that kind of political power just for name recognition.

After having mulled over this regionalism thing for the last 30 years, I'm not convinced that the name or proliferation of names or jurisdictions makes much of a difference. I think the relative lack of strong corporate presence here is much more significant, along with the large military population, which is transient in nature. We have the population numbers to support major league sports, but not enough of the kind of people who make loyal local fans. Sharing the money with Richmond is a great idea, but we have to solve the transportation problem to make that work (and right now we're not even past rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic). A 200 mph train ride would be a good way to get folks from Richmond to a stadium. In 30 years, we could be a great major league market, but we can't achieve that with light rail technology, tolls and HOV lanes alone. It will take time and new ways of getting around. We're about to see a post war recession that will delay our growth for a while. It happened after Vietnam and our country wasn't in debt the way it is today. In the meantime, minor league sports and....HDTV..enjoy!

Edited by Padman

I've heard everything from the Norfolk area to Hampton Roads to Tidewater Virginia to Southeastern Virginia. Personally, I prefer Southeastern Virginia. The only reason I can think of that it is not being used is Northeastern NC. Apparently, the moniker has to be inclusive of the entire metro area. With regional jealously, Greater Norfolk is a no-go. I'm not really sure why Tidewater fell out of favor. Was there a backlash from Tidewater Mass? Most tidal areas are called Coastal "x" like Coastal Louisiana. So, all we're left with is Hampton Roads, the confluence of the James, the Nansemond, the Elizabeth, and the Chesapeake Bay.

After having mulled over this regionalism thing for the last 30 years, I'm not convinced that the name or proliferation of names or jurisdictions makes much of a difference. I think the relative lack of strong corporate presence here is much more significant, along with the large military population, which is transient in nature. We have the population numbers to support major league sports, but not enough of the kind of people who make loyal local fans. Sharing the money with Richmond is a great idea, but we have to solve the transportation problem to make that work (and right now we're not even past rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic). A 200 mph train ride would be a good way to get folks from Richmond to a stadium. In 30 years, we could be a great major league market, but we can't achieve that with light rail technology, tolls and HOV lanes alone. It will take time and new ways of getting around. We're about to see a post war recession that will delay our growth for a while. It happened after Vietnam and our country wasn't in debt the way it is today. In the meantime, minor league sports and....HDTV..enjoy!

The name Hampton Roads is totally inefffective and has been so for a long time. I do think that one name would make a difference. Name recognition is crucial in advertising and that is basically what a community does when trying to attract a sports franchise. Norfolk is the urban core. People across the country know about Norfolk because of the Navy base and they know about Virginia Beach because of . . . the beach, but that is only on the east coast as far as the Beach is concerned.

Why not The Norfolk/Va. Beach Area?

Because people from both cities HATE being associated with the other.

Quite a quandary.

The name Hampton Roads is totally inefffective and has been so for a long time. I do think that one name would make a difference. Name recognition is crucial in advertising and that is basically what a community does when trying to attract a sports franchise. Norfolk is the urban core. People across the country know about Norfolk because of the Navy base and they know about Virginia Beach because of . . . the beach, but that is only on the east coast as far as the Beach is concerned.

Why not The Norfolk/Va. Beach Area?

Because people from both cities HATE being associated with the other.

Quite a quandary.

Maybe, I never hear the name Hampton Roads when I'm away, but Oakland, San Jose, San Francisco, Berkeley etc. doesn't seem to hurt them. They've got lots of money and corporate presence though.

Edited by Padman

I think that even if people don't know where Hampton Roads is, then you inform them....boom, instantly, they know. It's not that difficult. There are plenty of areas, locals, geographic locations that are not of a particular city, but because- A. I looked it up, B. Someone told me, or C. I heard about it in a advertisement/comercial/tv spot/ marketing campaign, I now know.

IE- The Research Triangle, The Tri-state Area, The Bay Area

Those names are completely non-discript, except maybe the word "bay", but most people have learn where those areas are or what the names refer to. Maybe Hampton Roads isn't as common of a name throughout the US, but all it takes is for one person to tell someone where it is and they'll know. It's not a calculus equation.

I think that even if people don't know where Hampton Roads is, then you inform them....boom, instantly, they know. It's not that difficult. There are plenty of areas, locals, geographic locations that are not of a particular city, but because- A. I looked it up, B. Someone told me, or C. I heard about it in a advertisement/comercial/tv spot/ marketing campaign, I now know.

IE- The Research Triangle, The Tri-state Area, The Bay Area

Those names are completely non-discript, except maybe the word "bay", but most people have learn where those areas are or what the names refer to. Maybe Hampton Roads isn't as common of a name throughout the US, but all it takes is for one person to tell someone where it is and they'll know. It's not a calculus equation.

Well this goes to the regionalism equation. When you don't work together then how does the area market itself then? It doesn't because we don't work on that together to push the area as a whole but as Norfolk, Vabeach, and NNewport news and such. I imagine those areas work alot more together than we do. I think that I have woken up and realize that we will always be overlooked nationally for sports and other things.

I think that we could work together more efficiently, but I also think we try to do the best we can with what we have. We have a tendency to beat ourselves up for not being regional in our thinking, but I know of very few areas in this hemisphere that have accomplished very much through disciplined regional planning. the TVA is probably our best example, and there have been some minor successes, such as the NY Meadowlands. Toronto and Minneapolis also come to mind, but they both have very powerful economic engines. The name Hampton Roads only means a great deal to outsiders when our area means a great deal to them. You can't market your way to prosperity. You have to have a product. You can call a goose a horse, but that doesn't mean that you can ride a goose. Of course, you can goose a horse, but that's asking for a good kick. You already know the solution has many parts, some of which are:

Improve the colleges, keep adding research and do take chances

Keep on marketing and build up the tourist trade: make Williamsburg and VB more fun

Keep supporting symphony and opera--take more advantage of the jazz-blues-rock community

Solve the transportation mess, especially from southside to the peninsula

Take better advantage of the port industry-establish economies of agglomeration

Better assimilate the squids oops I mean the Navy into our community

Plan now for major attrition in the military (consider Oceana scaled way back and NOB smaller)

Work to keep housing and living costs affordable--times have changed

Support a clean environment: keep the beaches beautiful and the seafood edible