sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

congrats to ODU's performance so far in the NIT!

Yeah! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

I was there last night. Great game, we really need to take it to Hofstra now though. They already beat us twice this year.

If anyone cares the game is gonna be on tommorw night at 7:00 or 9:00 P.M. on espn2.

Check it out!

Edited by Greekboy80

http://www.norfolk.gov/Planning/comehome/N...k2010Poster.pdf

Link to Norfolks 2010 plan. Page 1 clearly shows the arena next to the scope (aerial view). Page 2 has a rendering from street level entitled arena option. The more i see of it the more i like it. We need to get that thing built! :)

Notice by Harbor Park #5 the waterside arena/residential option. :thumbsup:

I love the plan, although they were thinking small on office and apartment towers (so called human scale, as if humans don't want to or shouldn't make big statements). I wonder if an 18,000 seat + arena could fit on that footprint, though. I just don't want us to make the mistake of a. building too small again or b. building a big but cheap piece of crap. I don't know why Scope couldn't be reconfigured and used as a convention center hall. Or... (drum roll)the world's most beautiful flea market.

Norfolk has two arena sites: the aforementioned one and the one between MacArthur and Scope. The Harbor Park site would be residential if the other location is chosen. If the Harbor Park site is chosen, then the other site is slated for mix-use construciton. Both footprints fit a pro-level arena.

Edited by hoobo

I'd prefer the location by Harbor Park. Parking could be shared between the stadium and arena. Furthermore I'd rather see mixed-use buildings that are used 24/7 in the HEART of downtown (by MacMall & Scope). Stadiums and arenas can be dead spaces when they're not being used.

Edited by lammius

There is no real timetable at the moment. The mayor and city council have emphasized that replacing or significantly modifying the Scope/Chrysler Hall complex is something they would like to see done in the near future, but building a new courts/city hall facility and replacing more or less the entire library system (both huge undertakings) are the higher priorities at the moment.

What. That's crazy. Entertainment venues should be at the top of the priority list. I mean, who uses libraries besides bums and 9-year-olds?

That's a fair question of the current libraries in the area, but a REALLY GOOD RESEARCH library is used by all sorts of professionals, local and non-local students and researchers, etc. I was a history major as an undergraduate and traveled all over the Mid-Atlantic to find resources I needed. Libraries at the University of Virginia, the Library of Congress, National Archives, NYPL, Chicago PL, come to mind as really solid public libraries that LOTS of researchers use. Many 2nd and 3rd tier cities have outstanding research libraries too. We're talking about a main/central library, not your neighborhood branch. We always complain about the local brain drain and how a well-educated workforce is lacking in this area. Investing in research opportunities can be a small step to correct that and I'd love to see an investment in that. I think that should be a priority over becoming a slave to a sports franchise owner.

Sports are fun and I think the city should pursue both, but I think that if the priority is the library first, that's not very outlandish.

That's a fair question of the current libraries in the area, but a REALLY GOOD RESEARCH library is used by all sorts of professionals, local and non-local students and researchers, etc. I was a history major as an undergraduate and traveled all over the Mid-Atlantic to find resources I needed. Libraries at the University of Virginia, the Library of Congress, National Archives, NYPL, Chicago PL, come to mind as really solid public libraries that LOTS of researchers use. Many 2nd and 3rd tier cities have outstanding research libraries too. We're talking about a main/central library, not your neighborhood branch. We always complain about the local brain drain and how a well-educated workforce is lacking in this area. Investing in research opportunities can be a small step to correct that and I'd love to see an investment in that. I think that should be a priority over becoming a slave to a sports franchise owner.

Sports are fun and I think the city should pursue both, but I think that if the priority is the library first, that's not very outlandish.

I think he was being a smart @ss! I detected a little bit of sarcasm there lammius.

I think he was being a smart @ss! I detected a little bit of sarcasm there lammius.

Me, sarcastic? Never.

Oh wait, that was sarcasm, too. Damn.

For me, entertainment venues be they concert halls or stadiums are at the bottom of a city's priorities. Those are items you build when roads, schools, parks, jails, fire stations, and libraries have all been built. Basic needs, then basic wants, then luxurious wants. Economic investments like MacArthur Mall and TC don't figure into this equation, though.

Edited by hoobo

Me, sarcastic? Never.

For me, entertainment venues be they concert halls or stadiums are at the bottom of a city's priorities. Those are items you build when roads, schools, parks, jails, fire stations, and libraries have all been built. Basic needs, then basic wants, then luxurious wants. Economic investments like MacArthur Mall and TC don't figure into this equation, though.

:rofl: Good one dude!

Me, sarcastic? Never.

I agree, and I feel it's especially admirable for Norfolk to take on the task of completely reinventing its library system. I have to say, though, that I'm really not a fan of the branch library system generally and I would rather see the city invest in one central library rather than several smaller branches. I also agree that a library needs to be a public place for serious research. If libraries spent less of their budget stocking up on Dan Brown novels and more time on reference materials and specialized non-fiction titles, they would be a much greater public asset than they are now. I can't wait to see what Norfolk has in mind for it's new central library - I hope I'm not disappointed.

That had nothing to do with sports in Norfolk, I know, but I expect this whole little conversation will be moved soon and this seemed like the only appropriate place for my post. Sorry.

I hate to say it but it might be over. Michigan is a tough team with the abillity to beat anyone in the country. A win however will be huge, not only for ODU but for the CAA. The stars of tomorow are watching. Unfortunately this may be Blain Taylor's last year. Some say Arizona State might be interested.

• 2 weeks later...