sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

TBS South is not a sports network like FSN/Comcast. It is available in southeastern states unlike FSN-NW which is only in Washington and Oregon.

How is this any different than Turner South? Wouldn't a team in Charlotte hurt Turner South and the BRaves? Of course it would, but there is nothing they can do about it.

I have stated several times that Portland is not in Seattle's official territory, but MLB will have to pay the Mariners like they paid the Orioles to take away TV market.

No they do not. Again, read MLB's rules.

Vegas, Norfolk, and Charlotte are not claimed by any team's TV market.

Actually they do fall within MLB T.V. markets; the whole entire country is portioned off!

Attendance for the AAA Portland Beavers has dropped from 6800 in 2002 to about 5300 in 2004 and 2005. PGE Park has a capacity of 23,000 and was renovated in 2001. The Beavers are bankrupt and owned by the PCL.

Portland is a major league city. People rather watch MLB or play baseball, hence Portland's great MLB T.V. ratings and the great baseball played in the Portland area. Portland is a great baseball city.

Norfolk has averaged over 7000 for Tides games over the past several seasons. Although I don't consider minor league attendance as a true indicator of pro team viability, Portland's dying interest is not good. At least Vegas has an excuse: horrible stadium with horrible summer heat.

Portland's stadium is horrible and if you have ever been to Portland in the summer, you would only sacrifice time outside for MLB, not the minors.

Portland's economy was cited as one of the reasons why they fell from the Expos race.

That isn't true. The Expos were going to D.C. no matter what. Portland's economy was worse than the nation as a whole post 9/11, but it tends to mirror the rest of the nation to the extreme. Currently it is doing really well.

Norfolk is the best relocation option for the Marlins. Portland is the best option for the A's or Twins. Vegas is the best option for the NBA. Charlotte needs more people.

Norfolk isn't a viable MLB relocation destination. Portland is by far the best relocation destination. And you are right, the NBA is Vegas's best bet and Charlotte would be too saturated with a third franchise.

Edited by Sundodger

Yes, Pro player stadium has a miami address. However, I would have to agree that Pro Player is closer to Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood area than Miami. Heck, it's 14 miles from the stadium to downtown Miami. I can see why he considers it to be Ft. Lauderdale.

You can't agree with what is not true. Hollywood, sure, but when do major sports teams take on a suburban identity?

13.8 miles from DT Miami to Dolphins Stadium, 16.97 miles from DT Ft. Lauderdale to Dolphins Stadium per Mapquest.com. So Miami address, in Miami-Dade County, and closer to Miami to boot.

You can't agree with what is not true. Hollywood, sure, but when do major sports teams take on a suburban identity?

13.8 miles from DT Miami to Dolphins Stadium, 16.97 miles from DT Ft. Lauderdale to Dolphins Stadium per Mapquest.com. So Miami address, in Miami-Dade County, and closer to Miami to boot.

I don't know where your getting your numbers from but I would consider Mapquest suspect. I'm looking at an official map from rand mcnally, 14.5 miles from joe robbie to downtown miami, 9.5 from joe robbie to Ft. Lauderdale. The whole point being it is closer to Ft. Lauderdale than Miami. For crying out loud, it's on 195th street or something like that, where numbered streets pretty much end and Hollywood starts. However, I am not going to get into a argument over proximities to stadiums. All I said is that I understand where he was coming from. However, this thread is here to serve as a thread for sports in norfolk, not miami, Portland Las Vegas or anywhere else for that matter. Let's try to stay on topic, :D

Closer to Portland or Seattle :rofl:

Portland is twice as far as Seattle from where I live. Look at my avatar, can't see anything like that in Oregon. Heck, google the word "sundodger." I am a Mariners fan and assoc. with Seattle, not Portland. Heck, I lived there until 2001. Portland is where I go to avoid sales tax on expensive items. I am just stating the reality about the Portland market. Like it or not, it is the best open market for MLB currently but that is another topic for another thread I guess.

On the original topic, work with Richmond and put an NFL stadium in Williamsburg for a regional Virginia franchise ala the New England Patriots. The Redskins can't complain because of revenue sharing so that is a non-issue. It will be all about putting together a stadium financing package to convince an owner to relocate. The joint markets of HR and Richmond would look great on paper, especially with the void of major professional sports. The next NFL franchise move will be to L.A., after that, it up for grabs between San Antonio and whoever decides to take them on.

Edited by Sundodger

plus putting the stadium up by Williamsburg or so would mean that the cities between Virginia Beach and Richmond wouldn't have to lose so much land to the sea of parking.

Actually I this is a great idea, most of Viginia are Redskin fans, but if Virginia had its own football team I think alot of them would support them. Of course they would have to hope the title as Virginia's team and not a city name.

Virginia is one of the few states without a team and that is just wrong.

That was the idea for Colonial Downs, failure.

But horseracing in general is on the decline. Here in SoCal, racetracks keep sending me free entery passes plus guaranteed $2+ ticket winners. Without its card room, Hollywood Park would have closed a long time ago. Even beautiful Santa Anita is struggling. The same is true throughout the country including Laurel Park in Maryland.

Football is a destination sport since it's only played once a week eight times a season. But I do understand your point. Williamsburg or Providence Forge or Taono may be equidistant from both metro areas but most of HR is on the other side of the tunnels and most of Richmond is on the other side of 95. Then again, that doesn't stop Tech and UVa from selling out. I'd prefer developing ODU's football program to the point that the school can join C-USA or the Big-East (once that league splits).

Urbanlife, looks like Loria is making his tour. So now I believe it.

The rumors are that he'll visit seven cities who have contacted him about relocation. The first stop was San Antonio. Vegas and Portland are on the list. Possibly New Jersey and San Juan since promoters in those cities have said they called Loria. That leaves Indianapolis, Charlotte, Sacramento, Monterrey, and Norfolk to vie for the other spots.

That's it for now. Go Admirals.

I think Norfolk has given up.
Good!

Let MLB go screw another city out of millions. We've got towers an a LRT system to build.

I was all for the Expos coming, but now I'm just over it. That ballpark in Miami was going to cost $420-$435 million...that's a lot of money. I don't feel any city/state should have to pony up that kind of $$$ to have MLB team in their city. Then in 5-10 years they'll be bi+ching about a "NEW" stadium or else they are going to relocate.

Edited by willy

We've got towers an a LRT system to build.

I would agree. Norfolk has a lot of catching up to do but is only beginning. I think we should focus on building the city and LRT before even considering pouring millions of dollars to sports. If Norfolk continues on its path of revitilization I can easily see one day a strong cosmopolitan city offering its 300,000 people awesome housing and retail amenities easily found only in much larger cities.

Edited by guynvb

Good!

Let MLB go screw another city out of millions. We've got towers an a LRT system to build.

I was all for the Expos coming, but now I'm just over it. That ballpark in Miami was going to cost $420-$435 million...that's a lot of money. I don't feel any city/state should have to pony up that kind of $$$ to have MLB team in their city. Then in 5-10 years they'll be bi+ching about a "NEW" stadium or else they are going to relocate.

That was for a domed stadium. An open-air stadium would probably be around $300 million since Norfolk owns the land. Land acquisition and higher construction costs are why the DC open-air stadium is as expensive as the covered field in Miami. Anyway, if Norfolk isn't in the running for the Marlins, it should take another look at building a new arena. I know there is a lot of debt on the books with MacArthur, Nauticus, and the Cruise Terminal and soon the Hilton Conference Center, but dumping $50 million into Scope is not a wise use of money. $200 million for a new arena would help Admirals attendance, attract bigger winter-time concerts, attract NCAA tournaments, and put the area on the fast track for a NBA team. With an arena, Norfolk has a much better chance of getting a team than either OKC, KC, or Baltimore, which has no arena. Vegas is another question.

I give up on it anymore. I don't think we will ever see pro sports in this area. Shoot we can't even get the white collar jobs we need so what makes us think we can get a team. I guess we should just support our minor league teams.

Going by that, why should Vegas get a team? They make less than HR yet have a higher cost of living. If Vegas is in the running, Norfolk should be too.

MLB and Vegas are banking on tourists to fill the seats.

Many people say we could never support a team because of our transient navy population, but what do they call the tourists in Vegas?

$200 million for a new arena would help Admirals attendance, attract bigger winter-time concerts, attract NCAA tournaments, and put the area on the fast track for a NBA team.

I can live with that. And maybe one day we could lure an NBA team here. If they leave we still have a new arena to lure all the stuff you listed above.

MLB and Vegas are banking on tourists to fill the seats.

Many people say we could never support a team because of our transient navy population, but what do they call the tourists in Vegas?

I can live with that. And maybe one day we could lure an NBA team here. If they leave we still have a new arena to lure all the stuff you listed above.

NBA would be perfect for Norfolk. I do think that building a new arena would be a smart move for the city for the Admirals and concerts alone,plus it would make them look better to the NBA and NHL when they were trying to score a team.

I really have a hard time seeing Vegas getting a pro team because if they are banking on tourism, what will they bank on if the team is playing crappy. A tourist would rather spend money on a show there than watch a team they dont really support, especially if the team is losing.

It looks like Baxters on Granby St. is getting closer to opening. Anyone know if they will be having a grand opening???

They better hurry up and open so they can make some money before the GSA takes the building. The sad part about it is that they will take the building and do nothing with it.

Speaking of sports... Why dont the Norfolk Admirals sell more tickets? Its great fun, your seeing professional players that are back and forth from the NHL. Scope hasnt even hit an attendance of 5000 this year yet. Maybe its just poor advertising but I would think with over a million people in the area these games would sell out. Its kind of pathetic that the Greenville Growl, the minor league team to the Admirals sells more tickets at a higher price.

Mike