Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

I agree but they might want it to be a surprise and are trying to keep it quiet. Makes me think they have some kind of thing going with the hotel and don't want to make it public, maybe they are in the works with the condos and don't have it finalized

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sure hope so. I've really lost my anxiousness over this project and have put it on the back burner for the time being. Granby and Westin are much more solid projects and i've been focusing more of my attention on them.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SOME GREAT NEWS!! I SPOKE WITH A FRIEND OF PETE DECKERS TODAY AS I WAS WALKING AROUND DOWNTOWN AND SHE SAID THE LOT WILL CLOSE IN MID TO LATE JUNE FOR INITIAL WORK ON THE SITE & THAT DECKER IS CURRENTLY COMPLETING REMODELING OF NEW DIGS ON MAIN AND MAKING MOVE PREPARATIONS!!

ALSO THE PARKING LOT ATTENDANT, A NICE OLE LADY SAID SHE WILL BE MOVED TO ANOTHER POST IN JUNE AS THE LOT CLOSES :thumbsup:

ALSO I SPOKE TO THE FOREMAN FROM SB BALLARD AT THE HARBOR HEIGHTS LOT AND SAID BUILDING STANDS AT 16 FLOORS BUT AT ALMOST 267 FEET JUST 20 OR SO SHY OF THE 150 WEST MAIN ...HE SAID DUE TO GROCERY STORE HEIGHT FIRST FLOOR GARAGE HEIGHT WHICH NEEDS TO BE ACCESIBLE FOR LARGE DELIVERY TRUCKS

SOME GREAT NEWS!!  I SPOKE WITH A FRIEND OF PETE DECKERS TODAY AS I WAS WALKING AROUND DOWNTOWN AND SHE SAID THE LOT WILL CLOSE IN MID TO LATE JUNE FOR INITIAL WORK ON THE SITE & THAT DECKER IS CURRENTLY COMPLETING REMODELING OF NEW DIGS ON MAIN AND MAKING MOVE PREPARATIONS!!

ALSO THE PARKING LOT ATTENDANT, A NICE OLE LADY SAID SHE WILL BE MOVED TO ANOTHER POST IN JUNE AS THE LOT CLOSES :thumbsup:

ALSO I SPOKE TO THE FOREMAN FROM SB BALLARD AT THE HARBOR HEIGHTS LOT AND SAID BUILDING STANDS AT 16 FLOORS BUT AT ALMOST 267 FEET JUST 20 OR SO SHY OF THE 150 WEST MAIN ...HE SAID DUE TO GROCERY STORE HEIGHT FIRST FLOOR GARAGE HEIGHT WHICH NEEDS TO BE ACCESIBLE FOR LARGE DELIVERY TRUCKS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, 1 floor shy of the hoped for 17 but it'll definately make an impact on the skyline at 267ft (which is about 70ft taller than the Va. Beach Hilton which stands 20 floors). One would think that a) they have finally finalized the Hilton design and b ) They will have to make an announcement soon if site work is to begin as early as June but this does square with what a source on another site told me so we'll have to see. I'm just trying not to get my hopes up on this one.

SOME GREAT NEWS!!  I SPOKE WITH A FRIEND OF PETE DECKERS TODAY AS I WAS WALKING AROUND DOWNTOWN AND SHE SAID THE LOT WILL CLOSE IN MID TO LATE JUNE FOR INITIAL WORK ON THE SITE & THAT DECKER IS CURRENTLY COMPLETING REMODELING OF NEW DIGS ON MAIN AND MAKING MOVE PREPARATIONS!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats great news!! :thumbsup: I love Harbor Heights!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I asked my friend at Norfolk Planning about this, and here's what he said:

"The City has definitely bought Peter Decker's building and he bought the

Wheat Building and has Towne Bank as a tenant. He's even gotten approval

to put a rooftop deck on the low section of the building similar to what

he had on Plume Street. The City has purchased the former BB&T site for

the conference center/hotel but I don't think that you see substantial

work on the site for some time to come. Concord Lane on the west side of

the site needs to be closed where it separates the BB&T site from the

Ikon Building and utilities including a Virginia Power duct bank need to

be relocated. (Ikon will come down while the other buildings backing to

Concord Lane and oriented to Granby Street will remain. There's

expectation that the facades of Decker's Building and Beecroft & Bull

will be incorporated in the new project even as the buildings behind

them are demolished.) Finally and importantly, there's not yet an

executed development/business agreement between the City and the

developer.)"

I asked my friend at Norfolk Planning about this, and here's what he said:

"The City has definitely bought Peter Decker's building and he bought the

Wheat Building and has Towne Bank as a tenant. He's even gotten approval

to put a rooftop deck on the low section of the building similar to what

he had on Plume Street. The City has purchased the former BB&T site for

the conference center/hotel but I don't think that you see substantial

work on the site for some time to come. Concord Lane on the west side of

the site needs to be closed where it separates the BB&T site from the

Ikon Building and utilities including a Virginia Power duct bank need to

be relocated. (Ikon will come down while the other buildings backing to

Concord Lane and oriented to Granby Street will remain. There's

expectation that the facades of Decker's Building and Beecroft & Bull

will be incorporated in the new project even as the buildings behind

them are demolished.) Finally and importantly, there's not yet an

executed development/business agreement between the City and the

developer.)"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish we could find out how tall this building is going to be and if there will be condos on top of it. That would be smart especially across the street from Trader building

It still sucks though coz' the hotel itself isn't a done deal and apparently the design of the building is what is holding this whole thing up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really hope the city doesn't screw the pooch on this one!!!!!!!!!!! I think they aren't really going to tell us what is holding it up, notice it has been really quiet about this project. There might be disagreements between the developer and the city.

I really hope the city doesn't screw the pooch on this one!!!!!!!!!!! I think they aren't really going to tell us what is holding it up, notice it has been really quiet about this project. There might be disagreements between the developer and the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree. I really don't think it was wise to purchase all these buildings and land until they were absolutely assured by the developer (in writing) that he would proceed with the hotel and conference center. The whole thing doesn't seem like a done deal and it's starting to make me nervous :unsure: .

I have to agree. I really don't think it was wise to purchase all these buildings and land until they were absolutely assured by the developer (in writing) that he would proceed with the hotel and conference center. The whole thing doesn't seem like a done deal and it's starting to make me nervous  :unsure: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The city could always hold onto the land and sell it to another developer should this project not move forward for some reason. Norfolk could then end up with something bigger and better...I'm pretty confident this thing will happen though. Another issue might be financing. In Richmond, the new Miller&Rhoads Hilton on Broad across from the Convention Center is cutting back on the number of hotel rooms and replacing them with condos. It was originally supposed to be 329 hotel rooms on 8 floors, but now it will most likely be 225 hotel rooms and 100 condos on the upper floors. So you never know I guess.

The city could always hold onto the land and sell it to another developer should this project not move forward for some reason. Norfolk could then end up with something bigger and better...I'm pretty confident this thing will happen though. Another issue might be financing. In Richmond, the new Miller&Rhoads Hilton on Broad across from the Convention Center is cutting back on the number of hotel rooms and replacing them with condos. It was originally supposed to be 329 hotel rooms on 8 floors, but now it will most likely be 225 hotel rooms and 100 condos on the upper floors. So you never know I guess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The money is already in the city budget.

The money is already in the city budget.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you're saying the city is paying for this entire project? The developer has no bill to front? It's totally publicly financed? If that's the case the taxpayers of Norfolk are getting screwed over.

So you're saying the city is paying for this entire project? The developer has no bill to front? It's totally publicly financed? If that's the case the taxpayers of Norfolk are getting screwed over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The city is paying for the conference center, garage, and street improvements. The developer is paying for the rest.

The city is paying for the conference center, garage, and street improvements. The developer is paying for the rest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's better than the whole thing. It doesn't mean that the plans for the hotel portion can't change (for the better or worse, though hopefully for the better). By financing I guess I was speaking of the private portion of financing, hence the confusion when you said the city already had the money in the budget for the project.

what a minute, I know the Ikon and Decker buildings are coming down, but what about the buildings along Granby that butt up to the back end of the Ikon building. That would be horrible to lose those buildings, they each have such great architecture work to them, and give you a sense of what Granby use to feel like.

what a minute, I know the Ikon and Decker buildings are coming down, but what about the buildings along Granby that butt up to the back end of the Ikon building.  That would be horrible to lose those buildings, they each have such great architecture work to them, and give you a sense of what Granby use to feel like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe those buildings are the ones that will be tied into the whole project.

what a minute, I know the Ikon and Decker buildings are coming down, but what about the buildings along Granby that butt up to the back end of the Ikon building.  That would be horrible to lose those buildings, they each have such great architecture work to them, and give you a sense of what Granby use to feel like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It says something in the quote about closing that small street that they will be left where they are. Look up a few posts ^^

I like this because i think the writer is referring to certain *ahem* shall remain nameless *cough* projects.

An excerpt:

Now for those real estate announcements that grace news pages, leading us unwary consumers to assume that the theater will be open or the condominiums available or the retail shops in business on such and such a date.

Granted, construction delays can be the culprit: that is if the building, hotel or condo com-complex is already under construction.

But what about those deals that are announced, talked about on the street, marketed and sold through publications, yet two years later, no bulldozer or pile driver is to be seen on the property, still a parking lot, an empty stage or a grass lot that was supposed to be a tower, a theater, a warehouse or hotel.

There are condos to be rented. Then they are to be sold. Then the prices spiral up, giving us a headache. There are twin towers, no towers and finally a single tower.

There are hard openings, soft openings and openings that stay closed. There are official and unofficial openings. What

I went down Granby street yesterday after poping a few rounds off @ Bob's Gun Shop pistol range and seen they were driving piles for the condos at the old mary jane factory and thrift shop. Also, looks like they tore some more buildings down for that project as well.

I went down Granby street yesterday after poping a few rounds off @ Bob's Gun Shop pistol range and seen they were driving piles for the condos at the old mary jane factory and thrift shop. Also, looks like they tore some more buildings down for that project as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Refresh my memory, what project is that by mary janes. I you referring to 388 Boush

Archived