Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

I really don't think that the mayor would give out that type of information and risk the project because of a breach of trust; however, I am convinced that this project will be larger than the Hilton at the Oceanfront which is around 20 stories high!

Vdogg, how many rooms are in the Oceanfront Hilton? I think they said around 200 rooms but I could be wrong!

I can not imagine a 250 room hotel with a conference center will be anything less than 25 stories especially if the Oceanfront Hilton is 200 rooms at 20 floors! If the Norfolk Hilton is being constructed on a smaller site, I am sure that it will be more taller than 16 floors with it potentially topping 30 floors depending upon if the hotel is being built above the conference center. My thoughts are also that they may build parking garage beneath the conference center and hotel.

My final though is. perhaps the city is working with Buddy G. to build condominiums above the Hilton ala the Westin and wants to keep this undercover and that the hotel has indeed been scaled back to accommodate more condos! :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the oceanfront Hilton has 300 rooms i believe. It is also on a much larger footprint than the hilton downtown. 25 for 250 rooms even not on top of the conference center sounds about right considering the smaller footprint, and the fact that they have to somehow fit a parking garage on that land too makes it really unlikely that they would waste so much land on a wide, 16 story, 250 room hotel. Someone mentioned views of the water earlier in this thread. I can just see the adverstisements now "Welcome to Hiltons new, luxurious, 16 story hotel with excellent sweeping views........of the building across the street."

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the details for the Va. Beach Hilton http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.j...ctyhocn=ORFVHHF

"Scheduled to join the Hilton family in Spring 2005, this spectacular new 20-story oceanfront hotel will raise the standard for hotel properties in Virginia Beach. A higher level of personal service, luxurious amenities and exceptional dining venues distinguish the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront from everything that has come before it in the popular mid-Atlantic resort.

The hotel features 295 luxurious, state-of-the-art guest rooms and suites, with walkout balconies offering panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean, coastline and surrounding landscape. Standard guest rooms feature an impressive collection of amenities highlighted by 32-inch flat screen televisions. Executive accommodations located on the three topmost guest floors are accessible by private key and provide corporate and select leisure guests with an even higher level of personal service and upgraded amenities, including a private lounge offering a lavish continental breakfast, evening hors d'oeuvres and an honor bar."

16 story sweeping views.....HAHA!

An announcement has to be soon.....its been in the paper almost everyday as another forumer said. How much longer can they keep this anticipation?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that downtown Norfolk hotel will definitely be taller than 16 floors because I can't imagine the city investing $30 million into a conference center that costs more than the hotel that they have been hyping up for so long!

Perhaps we should try to contact William Fuller and get it straight from the horse's mouth since he is also a partner in this project.

I am sure that there are more projects that the mayor are aware of and not giving any details about so I can't imagine him denying plans for a proposed 40 story tower especially it was reported that "significantly taller" projects are down the pike!

I think that Towering Turtle may have had his chain pulled on this one! I also think that the city will soon reveal the plans of the Florida developer who wants to build condos downtown.

Hey Vdogg, what can you tell us about the Richmond Federal Courthouse? It suppose to be something like a $50 million project. I was wondering if it will be a highrise so we can get an idea of what we can expect here in Norfolk.

Finally, I hope that the crown for the Granby tower will glow with either a soft blue or green lighting so we can have a big city look. I also hope that our future condos can look more like those in Tampa or the proposed condos in Charlotte and the future office towers have more reflective glass similiar to the proposed Rosylin office tower!

Norfolk is one of those cities when it is going good for the city then they will approve just about anything.  Hell this would be the time for someone to propose a 750ft building for downtown, the city would okay it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just looking at some other examples of recent Hilton developments, I saw one hotel with 296 rooms that was 34 stories in Canada! I know that this doesn't mean much but with 250 rooms and such a small lot to build on, I can't see how 16 floors can possibly be true! I wonder if the city has something on it on their website! I am sure that the developer would have to submit a request to the city and ask for a permit to build on that site. I am sure that it will be listed there before the final vote and announcement of the project officially to the public!

Hey Vdogg, what can you tell us about the Richmond Federal Courthouse? It suppose to be something like a $50 million project. I was wondering if it will be a highrise so we can get an idea of what we can expect here in Norfolk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe this info is already posted in the Richmond forum. When i find the post, i'll link to it here.

This is what I said about a month ago. Do I know something? Nah, it's just a coincidence.

With downtown living being as popular as it is I still say it would be a smart move for Mr. Johnson to add about 100-150 luxury condos on top of the 250 rooms for the Hilton.

Great news, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe this info is already posted in the Richmond forum. When i find the post, i'll link to it here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's good news but in the end, if that's how this will all be, the Mayor can kiss his hopes of having this project done by the start of summer 2007 goodbye. Don't take me the wrong way either, but I'm bracing for the possibility of tension and whatnot from Va. Beach and Armada Hoffler for "copy-catting" their Westin project even though it's not their original idea either.

That's good news but in the end, if that's how this will all be, the Mayor can kiss his hopes of having this project done by the start of summer 2007 goodbye. Don't take me the wrong way either, but I'm bracing for the possibility of tension and whatnot from Va. Beach and Armada Hoffler for "copy-catting" their Westin project even though it's not their original idea either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if this little tidbit of info turns out to be true, your estimate of 35 stories may well be accurate ace :) .

Well, if this little tidbit of info turns out to be true, your estimate of 35 stories may well be accurate ace  :)  .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you vdogg and hopefully it will be true but in this crazy world of business, anything can happen so we will all be forced to wait and see. If it does turn out to be true at around 35 floors, I'll admit that adding condos on top was not my original reason for being taller lol. I was really hoping that Va. Beach and the Westin would be the ones to have that title for hotel/condos but we'll see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think before VaBeach talks about Norfolk copy catting they better check themselves for copying Reston, Vabeach is the real copy cat

Archived