Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

Yes i did. I was hoping it was a typo. Oh well. I'm just upset that i've been anticipating this building for so long and it just turns out to be crap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry...I'll keep digging for more info from my friend! I told him I was simply a skyscraper enthusiast so I think he feels comfortable telling me more stuff. I'll let you know what else he says soon....

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I spoke with the developer of the Granby Towers they told me that it was firm that there were going to two buildings, a 25 and 15 story. Now, this was from the people that are going to build the towers not people that work for the city. We even had renderings of the two buildings. And we all know how this turned out. My point is, it's to early to get all mad at Norfolk for building an 18 story tower when we don't have any concrete proof or even the first rendering to indicate that it will be only 16-18 stories. I'm not discounting what you two have heard, but I'm not going to let this knock the wind out of my sails. This building is aloooong way from completion and it's just to early to speculate.

To all on this board, keep hope alive.

When I spoke with the developer of the Granby Towers they told me that it was firm that there were going to two buildings, a 25 and 15 story. Now, this was from the people that are going to build the towers not people that work for the city. We even had renderings of the two buildings. And we all know how this turned out. My point is, it's to early to get all mad at Norfolk for building an 18 story tower when we don't have any concrete proof or even the first rendering to indicate that it will be only 16-18 stories. I'm not discounting what you two have heard, but I'm not going to let this knock the wind out of my sails. This building is aloooong way from completion and it's just to early to speculate.

To all on this board, keep hope alive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point willy.....but in my opinion, this will just be another average high-rise in the 20-25 story range. I think Norfolk has something else up their sleeves.

Don't expect too much as far as height is concerned for the Hilton. It may very well end up as tall as twenty five stories but construction of Hotels tend to be made of concrete which allow the floors to be considerably shorter in distance than a typical steel structure. Even if they build twenty five stories for the Hilton and other residences Trader Tower will probably still be visisble behind it. Assuming the Trader Tower is a steel structure. Hotel floor heights generally run 12'-0" from floor to floor, but a steel structure usually runs from 13'-0" to 14'-0".

By the way something didn't seem right with the mention of the parking garage below the Hotel. This parking garage is part of the agreement with Trader Tower to be used by them and the Hotel. I can't see a three to four story garage accomadating 1,600 employees, employees of the hotel and visitors of the Hotel. It would have to be a pretty wide garage in all directions for them to achieve this type of capacity.

By the way something didn't seem right with the mention of the parking garage below the Hotel.  This parking garage is part of the agreement with Trader Tower to be used by them and the Hotel.  I can't see a three to four story garage accomadating 1,600 employees, employees of the hotel and visitors of the Hotel.  It would have to be a pretty wide garage in all directions for them to achieve this type of capacity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the hotel is doing 25 rooms per floor. This is a pretty big footprint.

By the way I never expected the Hilton to be very tall. I expect our Height is going to be vested in the Granby Tower. The rendering shows pretty large floor heights. If it is a steel structure expect it to be about 14'-0" a floor which puts the building over the 400 ft mark and thats without the large Spire on top. The spire on top could put us close to the 500 ft range. Therefore, I think this project will be the tallest in the region. Even if the Westin runs 37 floors mainly because it will be a hotel combined with residences therefore floors will probably run in the 12'-0" range. I guess we will find out soon enough.

By the way I never expected the Hilton to be very tall.  I expect our Height is going to be vested in the Granby Tower.  The rendering shows pretty large floor heights.  If it is a steel structure expect it to be about 14'-0" a floor which puts the building over the 400 ft mark and thats without the large Spire on top.  The spire on top could put us close to the 500 ft range.  Therefore, I think this project will be the tallest in the region.  Even if the Westin runs 37 floors mainly because it will be a hotel combined with residences therefore floors will probably run in the 12'-0" range.  I guess we will find out soon enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Everyone always challenges me on why i think granby will be taller than Westin but when you add in ceiling heights (the rendering shows really large floors, i hope thats accurate) and the fact that the spire on top looks like it could lay the smackdown on any spire conceived by Va. Beach :lol: , and we may have a regions or even states tallest (that is until Rosslyn takes the title).

I hope it breaks the 30 story range. It would be nice to see it that tall and i wonder how they are on the demand for the condos for there, i heard that the westin has pretty much filled all of the condos for the building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Talking to Marathon development the yesterday and they said demand is very high and they have numerous people contacting them to be a part of this project. While the height is still 29 stories, if demand is as high as they claim i don't see any reason why we wouldn't see another height increase before construction starts. Rereading the reply from the guy that okinawa was talking to it seems he was alluding to the fact that at the very least this will be the tallest in DT Norfolk.

By the way something didn't seem right with the mention of the parking garage below the Hotel.  This parking garage is part of the agreement with Trader Tower to be used by them and the Hotel.  I can't see a three to four story garage accomadating 1,600 employees, employees of the hotel and visitors of the Hotel.  It would have to be a pretty wide garage in all directions for them to achieve this type of capacity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The garage at the Hilton will not accomodate all of Trader's employess, just the overflow of them. Trader's office tower will have 8 (but it's more likely 9) floors of parking below the offices and is said to have up to 700 spaces (but I'm not sure how possible that is but we'll see).

I use to work for Hilton, they are all about putting as many rooms on one floor as possible. I was waiting for what that number was before I bought into the height of the building.

Keep in mind that even at 18 12" floors it will still be tall. The convention center space will be on the ground floor and that will push it up a bit, then with the chance to have condos on top of it. It will show off nicely in the skyline.

I use to work for Hilton, they are all about putting as many rooms on one floor as possible.  I was waiting for what that number was before I bought into the height of the building.

Keep in mind that even at 18 12" floors it will still be tall.  The convention center space will be on the ground floor and that will push it up a bit, then with the chance to have condos on top of it.  It will show off nicely in the skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the convention center has to have a pretty high ceiling, but the big thing will be the condos. We just don't know how many, if any at all, will be put on top.

Theoretically, they'd need at least 50 or so condos for it to be financially feasible to build.  Otherwise, there would really be no point to it.  If they're large, luxury units, that would only be a few per floor... if you catch my drift.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah...I'm catching something....**aaa-chooo!** haha jk. Yeah that makes sense. I'm hoping that on the design, you can't tell the difference from the hotel or the condos on the outside. I don't like how you can tell on the Westin.

Yeah...I'm catching something....**aaa-chooo!** haha jk. Yeah that makes sense. I'm hoping that on the design, you can't tell the difference from the hotel or the condos on the outside. I don't like how you can tell on the Westin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaha. I liked the original drawings of the Westin, but the new one I'm iffy on. Sometimes design really takes precedent over height, and this is a prime example. I still think that seeing that 30, 32, 35, or 37 story tower (haha) on the VB horizon will be beautiful, but I hope that if the Hilton does a similar design, its exterior look is a bit more "put together".

• 2 weeks later...

Great news guys. I have just received this email from the Vice Mayors office

Daun did receive your e-mail re: questions about the Hilton Hotel project. She said to let you know that they are still working on the designs and as far as she knew 25 stories is still a possibility. Once they reach an agreement the announcement will go out. Hopefully it won

This is straight from the horses mouth and i made sure to let them know about this site so the info should be free and forthcoming from now on. As soon as they pass along a more detailed update i'll make sure to pass it to you.

This is straight from the horses mouth and i made sure to let them know about this site so the info should be free and forthcoming from now on. As soon as they pass along a more detailed update i'll make sure to pass it to you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool! Good news about Hilton. So now we have my friend at Norfolk Planning and vdogg's friend from the Vice Mayor's office!

Archived