Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With so much contradictions going on, I honestly don't know what to think anymore. Someone from city planning gives us talk of 18-20 floors. Someone talking to the mayor claims 16 floors. Robert Johnson comments saying its 25 floors as well as the vice mayor. Who am I supposed to believe here? Honestly, I kinda lost some anticipation for this building just because the project itself doesn't sound concrete. I want a freakin' announcement soon!

With so much contradictions going on, I honestly don't know what to think anymore. Someone from city planning gives us talk of 18-20 floors. Someone talking to the mayor claims 16 floors. Robert Johnson comments saying its 25 floors as well as the vice mayor. Who am I supposed to believe here? Honestly, I kinda lost some anticipation for this building just because the project itself doesn't sound concrete. I want a freakin' announcement soon!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep in mind that daun said 25 stories is still a "possibility" but she didn't say anything concrete. She's simply not ruling 25 out, which really doesn't put her in contradiction with any of the previous statements. That being said, pure speculation here, i'm thinking 18 story hotel topped by 7 stories of condos would be a reasonable make up for this building.

That's not much hotel space. Approx 250 rooms is moderate size but not huge. With the cruise demand (with or without loss of a ship or two) and corporate demand generated by Trader et others hotel rooms will most likely be a hot commodity. I wonder what forecasts the Hilton people are using in their pro formae.

I think they are being very conservative and if it grows building some other hotel. We have the Marriot right next to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah thats the only thing I'm worried about. The Marriot has like 405 rooms, the Sheraton 445, and the new Courtyard Marriot has a good number, so a new Hilton would seem to be hard to fill IMO. But I guess then we did have like the best hotel occupancy rate of any city, so I don't know...

I think they are being very conservative and if it grows building some other hotel. We have the Marriot right next to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember one of the watching citytalk on channel 48 and one of the council members stated that if we received an NBA team, there would be the need to build 2 to 3 hotels immediately! I am thinking that if the cruise business really takes off then the city will be looking at building another hotel to meet the demand of the customers who will come into the city. I would love to see a Westin hotel in downtown Norfolk; however, I hope that it looks more like the Charlotte's new Westin than the one at TC. Nothing personal against the one at TC; nonetheless, the one in Charlotte is very futuristic and we need something orginal here instead of another box shaped hotel!

I remember one of the watching citytalk on channel 48 and one of the council members stated that if we received an NBA team, there would be the need to build 2 to 3 hotels immediately! I am thinking that if the cruise business really takes off then the city will be looking at building another hotel to meet the demand of the customers who will come into the city.  I would love to see a Westin hotel in downtown Norfolk; however, I hope that it looks more like the Charlotte's new Westin than the one at TC. Nothing personal against the one at TC; nonetheless, the one in Charlotte is very futuristic and we need something orginal here instead of another box shaped hotel!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I love the Charlotte Westin much more than VB's

Yeah thats the only thing I'm worried about. The Marriot has like 405 rooms, the Sheraton 445, and the new Courtyard Marriot has a good number, so a new Hilton would seem to be hard to fill IMO. But I guess then we did have like the best hotel occupancy rate of any city, so I don't know...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sheraton has 445 rooms? I don't know about that. That seems like a whole lot of rooms for a building that stands only 10 floors and knowing the bottom floor holds all the hotel services/amenities, a conference room, and a ballroom. I just don't see 445. As for the Courtyard, when that one was first announced, they said it would be only 100 rooms and it's only 5 or 6 floors. I'm not sure if the number of rooms increased since I didn't follow that project but from what I heard, it's only 100 rooms.

Yeah I love the Charlotte Westin much more than VB's

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Charlotte westin is not as tall and it is two colors, dark blue and white. Not to mention it looks more like a wall than it does a nice building. The VB westin in renditions looks much more appealing than the charlotte westin

The Charlotte westin is not as tall and it is two colors, dark blue and white.  Not to mention it looks more like a wall than it does a nice building.  The VB westin in renditions looks much more appealing than the charlotte westin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I have seen the Charlotte Westin in person and didn't particularly like it. it was too wide for my taste with not enough height.

The Sheraton has 445 rooms? I don't know about that. That seems like a whole lot of rooms for a building that stands only 10 floors and knowing the bottom floor holds all the hotel services/amenities, a conference room, and a ballroom. I just don't see 445. As for the Courtyard, when that one was first announced, they said it would be only 100 rooms and it's only 5 or 6 floors. I'm not sure if the number of rooms increased since I didn't follow that project but from what I heard, it's only 100 rooms.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it does seem like a lot. Well here's a quote from Starwood Hotels: "Norfolk's only waterfront property, the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel is adjacent to Waterside Marketplace, which features over 100 specialty shops and restaurants. With 445 sleeping rooms and 30,000 square feet of flexible meeting space."

And about the Courtyard, it has 140 rooms.

Yeah it does seem like a lot. Well here's a quote from Starwood Hotels: "Norfolk's only waterfront property, the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel is adjacent to Waterside Marketplace, which features over 100 specialty shops and restaurants. With 445 sleeping rooms and 30,000 square feet of flexible meeting space."

And about the Courtyard, it has 140 rooms.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... 445 rooms... well maybe but looking at that building, it still doesn't look like it but oh well. They must be very small hotel rooms then. So Courtyard has 140 rooms? That seems reasonable. Thanks for the update Okinawa!

With a very large footprint.  I wish they would tear it down and rebuild it vertical instead of taking up that much waterfront.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's unfair to say "hey, that building isn't tall! Let's rip 'er down and build something bigger" because in this case bigger might not be better. It's a very successful hotel along the waterfront that is relatively high class for the area and has assisted in the revitalization all around it. Also, I rather like that it allows vistas of the skyline from behind it in DT and from the Portsmouth side and the Berkeley Bridge. :)

Erm... If they WERE to replace it with a beautiful 40 floor building, however, I doubt I'd complain lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really starting to think that they went back to the drawing board on this hotel. I mean it's been a little too quiet don't you guys think. We can't seem to get the developers from Granby and Westin to shut up but all we here from our contacts in the city is "soon" along with some minor tidbits about what the size of this thing might actually be.

I agree but they might want it to be a surprise and are trying to keep it quiet. Makes me think they have some kind of thing going with the hotel and don't want to make it public, maybe they are in the works with the condos and don't have it finalized

Archived