Norfolk Hilton Project

rusthebuss

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it would be nice but we would have to have a reason to build something that tall. We would seriously need to go after some businesses to fill up that size of a building

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, and plus, a 60 story building would stick out like a sore thumb. I think it would actually make the skyline look worse.

it would be nice but we would have to have a reason to build something that tall. We would seriously need to go after some businesses to fill up that size of a building

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Worse? You think? i would'nt think worse. it would look kind of funny though.

Good point. I didn't really think of it like that. However I think we should start at 30 or 40 first.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, i believe, and i think most believe, that 30 is coming w/the Hilton. maybe 40 is the "significantly bigger" that could be coming (crosses fingers).

All of this drama had better be for the sake of something big (and I'm not just talking height). 

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of having condos on Main Street.  There are no residential units there and it would probably be a desirable location for people who work in the Financial District.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These condos are going to be directly across from Trader and therefore thats where most of their tennants will come from. I just hope they don't eat Granby towers lunch in the process.

I have some not so good news about the height of the Hilton. I received another email from a friend in Norfolk Planning and here's what he had to say:

"7-8 floors to include ground floor commercial (likely to include a signature restaurant), the lobby functions, meeting rooms and major ballroom plus 3-4 floors of parking;

the room portion of the building will likely be shaped as an "L" and rise say 10 floors at 25 rooms a floor.

There's a question whether there would be several floors added at the top for residential condominiums (the views in any direction would be a lot of fun)."

...So, we're talking about an 18-story hotel, conference center, and parking. The only way to get higher is to add condos.

Hi Guys  also i talked w/ the mayor again today and says  FIRM 16 floors and a 20% possibility of what he calls a FEW condos  HUMMM....

i havent posted since i thought you guys think im full of it, BUT i get my info from the top  nowhere else and as a relationship has been forged, I knew it wasnt a lie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, well my guy at Norfolk planning says about the same thing: 17-18 stories, but a better chance for condos.

The thing is, the footprint is different than we thought. It will be an L shape, with 25!!! rooms per floor!!

Well that sucks. If we at least break 20 it won't be a total loss. Any idea if this is gonna be on top of the conference center? Any idea if the parking garage will add any height? Also any reason why they decided to decrease the height in the first place? It just doesn't make any sense. Heres to hoping that we can edge a few more floors out of Granby.

Well that sucks.  If we at least break 20 it won't be a total loss. Any idea if this is gonna be on top of the conference center? Any idea if the parking garage will add any height? Also any reason why they decided to decrease the height in the first place? It just doesn't make any sense. Heres to hoping that we can edge a few more floors out of Granby.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If this is indeed the case, I hope that it will be a grand hotel! Perhaps like someone said before, the TraderTtower is the featured building and the city doesn't want the Hilton to block the views of the Trader which would have been smaller,

I am still happy that the project is a go and this might be a blessing in disguise because the L shape will be like 2 buildings and would allow for perhaps the Granby Tower to be visible now!

I am holding out hope that our "significantly taller" towers will be concentrated in the Plaza area which would be perfectly fine with me! Also, I would love to see the courts complex moved to the downtown plaza area; however, I can't see this happening because the present location has the city jail and I can't imagine the city building office towers next to the jail! I think that we will see a skyscraper rise across the street in the parking lot that will "significantly taller" than what we have downtown now and it will have no such blockage to obstruct it's view.

Finally, I do hope that we can place a few condos on top of the Hilton and top it off with a crown or spire for good measures since we can't have our cake and eat it too!

Well that sucks.  If we at least break 20 it won't be a total loss. Any idea if this is gonna be on top of the conference center? Any idea if the parking garage will add any height? Also any reason why they decided to decrease the height in the first place? It just doesn't make any sense. Heres to hoping that we can edge a few more floors out of Granby.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol. Vdogg did you read this? "7-8 floors to include ground floor commercial (likely to include a signature restaurant), the lobby functions, meeting rooms and major ballroom plus 3-4 floors of parking".

So, the 7-8 floors include: parking, ground retail, and conference center. Then add 10 floors for the hotel, then add x # of floors for condos. So this building will probably be 18-25 stories IMO.

L shape?  Does this mean that historic block of buildings on Granby will be saved? (crossed fingers)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well considering they said earlier the building was being redesigned because of its "location" i imagine this may be the case. I understand now that preservation of some historic buildings was a factor in the design. There are still plenty of buildings being torn down though, i'm just not sure exactly which ones they are.

Archived